Few questions Amsterdam/Zuiderdam

Watson's aunt

Hi

I sailed the Amsterdam 3 times to Alaska. I was wonding why they don't have a black and white ball. They had one on my Zuiderdam cruise to the Panama Canal. I noticed other ships in Caribbean has them. Not sure how many ships have them. ( I love the ball.)

While I was on Zuiderdam I bought a phote of the route the ship took during this cruise. (panama Canal) I know its a stock photo, but its pretty nice. The Amsterdam does not hahve a route map

Why is there a Note on Half Moon CayConditions permitting. Do they have a lot of bad weather there. How many times is the port missed. I really loved my visit there when I was there last November.

I want to take a cruise this winter. My main request is a stop there.

Hi

I sailed the Amsterdam 3 times to Alaska. I was wonding why they don't have a black and white ball. They had one on my Zuiderdam cruise to the Panama Canal. I noticed other ships in Caribbean has them. Not sure how many ships have them. ( I love the ball.)

How long was the P.C. cruise compared to the AK ones? Usually they only do the B/W ball on longer cruises.

Why is there a Note on Half Moon Cay Conditions permitting. Do they have a lot of bad weather there. How many times is the port missed. I really loved my visit there when I was there last November.

I want to take a cruise this winter. My main request is a stop there.

From what I've read here' date=' winds prevent tendering about 1/3 of the time. We've made it all 4 times we were scheduled, 3 of which were on Dec cruises.[/size']

Edited by jtl513

The only times we have had the Black and White Ball has been on the longer cruises -- 21 and 22 days, etc. And even on some longer cruises we have not had them. I think it depends on the captain and hotel manager if they want to have one.

We have done the partial Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam a few times and never had a black and white ball.

One time we were on the Noordam over Valentines and we didn't even have a Red Ball like other ships had.

As to HMC -- when we started sailing the Caribbean on HAL we missed the island many times. Back then the ships used their own tenders. Sometimes it was too windy, sometimes it was rainy, sometimes the seas were just too rough.

We must have been so very lucky as we have never missed Half Moon Cay in many, many cruises in the Caribbean - thought they just had awesome weather there - who knew.

Asked this same question about route map photos once a while back and was told that the Amsterdam does many different routes throughout the year and thus does not have a route map for each one. Do know the Panama Canal cruises on the Amsterdam have usually been repositioning cruises, i.e. after the Grand Asia in Dec goes thru the Canal, does the Caribbean for the holidays out of FL, and then leaves for the world cruise in Jan and returns to FL late April. It then goes through the Canal for the Alaskan season. Assume the Zuiderdam repeats a cruise route several times a season. In this day of digitalization, wish HAL would have the route map for every cruise, as we also like them a lot!