Hilton hotel at Rome airport?

phabric

Has anybody stayed at the Hilton at the airport? It is suppose to be attached to the airport.

Going solo, planning on staying the night and returning to the airport to take the cruise line transfer to the port the next day.

Has anybody stayed at the Hilton at the airport? It is suppose to be attached to the airport.

Going solo, planning on staying the night and returning to the airport to take the cruise line transfer to the port the next day.

We did and had a good stay there. Here are some pictures.

Edited by ROCruiser
link

Hi, yes we have stayed there. Although it is attached to the airport, it is quite a walk. It is signposted, but from memory, the signs are few and far between. We stayed the night, however we travelled to the port by train the next morning ourselves.

The hotel provided a free shuttle into the centre of Rome in the evening and it was lovely to stroll about for an hour or so.

We have also arrived on an early flight and stayed overnight in a hotel at the port.

Attached is not quite the case...but it is close. You walk out the main front doors, and about 10 feet away is an elevator that will take you up to the overhead walkway that leads to one of the airport parking garages and terminals. It is a pretty long walk, but we have always found empty luggage carts at the hotel end (from folks walking to the hotel) so have always enjoyed the stroll. For those that do not want to walk...the hotel will shuttle you over to one of the terminals.

My big problem with the Hilton is food, which is very expensive. They do have a decent high-end buffet in the evenings but that is even pricy. If we happen to have a rental car (which is our norm) we will usually keep the car so that we can drive into Fiumcino for dinner (there are some decent seaside restaurants in that city). The last time we ate in Fiumcino we had one of our best seafood meals we have ever experienced in Italy..in a very ordinary restaurant. We had a hunch the place was good when we saw lots of Italians heading into the place...and then were sure of our choice when they had no English menus and our waiter did not speak a word of English! These are all good signs when it comes to Italian restaurants :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Attached is not quite the case...but it is close. You walk out the main front doors, and about 10 feet away is an elevator that will take you up to the overhead walkway that leads to one of the airport parking garages and terminals. It is a pretty long walk, but we have always found empty luggage carts at the hotel end (from folks walking to the hotel) so have always enjoyed the stroll. For those that do not want to walk...the hotel will shuttle you over to one of the terminals.

My big problem with the Hilton is food, which is very expensive. They do have a decent high-end buffet in the evenings but that is even pricy. If we happen to have a rental car (which is our norm) we will usually keep the car so that we can drive into Fiumcino for dinner (there are some decent seaside restaurants in that city). The last time we ate in Fiumcino we had one of our best seafood meals we have ever experienced in Italy..in a very ordinary restaurant. We had a hunch the place was good when we saw lots of Italians heading into the place...and then were sure of our choice when they had no English menus and our waiter did not speak a word of English! These are all good signs when it comes to Italian restaurants :).

Hank

Boy, you and I think alike, Hank. I am always thrilled to realize we are the only Americans/English speakers in a restaurant--and if they offer us a menu in English, we always ask to have an Italian or French one.

I just return from the hotel last week, it took about 10 to 15 minutes to walk to terminal 3. It is best to bring your own electric converter if you need to charge your own electronic device, they only have it for sale and it costs 5 euro. I use other hotel in Rome and it is the only hotel which do not lent you the converter.

There are two Hiltons at the airport in Rome - what is the difference in getting to the Hilton Garden versus the Hilton Airport? The reason I ask is that I rightly or wrongly booked into the Hilton Garden in late September. Are both walkable from the airport or should I take a cab?

The walkable one is the Hilton Rome Airport. The HGI does have a shuttle, though (from their website):

"Our Fiumicino hotel is situated only 4 km from Rome Fiumicino Airport. We offer a complimentary airport shuttle available to arrivals and departures terminals 1, 3, and 5. The service is provided by buses with 'easy parking' logo on the sides. Please look for 'Airport Shuttle' signs."

There are two Hiltons at the airport in Rome - what is the difference in getting to the Hilton Garden versus the Hilton Airport? The reason I ask is that I rightly or wrongly booked into the Hilton Garden in late September. Are both walkable from the airport or should I take a cab?

You cannot walk from the Hilton Garden to the airport (its just a bit too far). But your choice might actually be very "right." Although we have stayed at the FCO Hilton several times, we are not big fans of the hotel because of its high prices, outrageous food prices, etc. The Hilton Garden seems to be somewhat more reasonably priced and does have an airport shuttle. We might even try the Garden on our next trip.

Hank

We have stayed at both Hiltons at FCO, several times each. The regular Hilton (not Garden Inn) is the one attached to the airport via walking tunnels. Both hotels are always a bit of a let down because it means my vacation is ending!

Both hotels are very "American" hotel experiences, which I think is fine, especially when depending on a shuttle to the airport. The service at the Hilton, we feel, is very slightly better than the Garden Inn. However, the past couple of times we have booked, the Hilton has been substantially more expensive, and in our opinion is not worth it.

Don't be fooled by the fact that the Hilton is connected via tunnels to the airport. We have taken the train into Rome and while you can walk to the train, it is a bit of a hike. (Note that the train station is at the airport) If you need to leave out of terminal 5, you need to take a shuttle from both the Garden Inn AND the Hilton.

Because of this fact, we have pretty much converted exclusively to the Garden Inn. The Shuttle ride to the airport is longer, but not by too much. This shuttle will also take you to the airport to catch the train.

If your flight leaves from terminal 3 which is what I had, the hilton Rome airport hotel will not provider shuttle since it is within walkable distance. But they do offer free shuttle to Rome city center every 2 hours.

Morgan raises a great point about Terminal 5. This "check-in Terminal" is used by nearly every direct flight to the USA and cannot be accessed by walking from the Hilton (or anywhere else). It is possible to walk over to the main terminals (from the Hilton) and take the free shuttle bus to Terminal 5, but that makes little sense. So this is another reason why those who have to check-in at Terminal 5 should consider the Garden Inn.

Hank

You mention terminal 5 for Flights to the States.

Do you know which terminal is for Canadian airlines, Air Canada, Air Transat?

Most airports, you arrive and depart from the same terminal, do you not do this at FCO?

You mention terminal 5 for Flights to the States.

Do you know which terminal is for Canadian airlines, Air Canada, Air Transat?

Most airports, you arrive and depart from the same terminal, do you not do this at FCO?

I do not know which terminal is used by Air Canada..although you could certainly give them a phone call and get the answer. The Terminal 5 situation at FCO is quite unique because Terminal 5 is not a real terminal in the true sense. It is an older building that is simply used to check-in passengers going to the USA..and it has higher security standards then the other terminals. Once you are checked-in at Terminal 5 they take you over to the main terminals where you are free to roam in the secure areas. No arrivals happen at Terminal 5.

We had once heard rumors that Terminal 5 would be further upgraded and used as a complete terminal with gates. But not aware that this has happened (or will ever happen). FCO is such a fun place :(. The last time we were there, they had a strike (for several days) of the garbage collectors. It was not pretty!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner