Princess exchange rate

Pinktrixie

Dear all,

Does anyone know how Princess calculate their US to Pound Sterling exchange rate? I booked an all-inclusive drinks package and soft drink package for a cruise in September and noticed that it looks about 40 pounds more than if I booked it at today's rate. Has the exchange rate worsened in two weeks or do Princess set their own rate?

Many Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Princess does not use what you see as the current rate.

There have been other posts by UK folk indicating they decided to not purchase in advance because of this.

Also, at the end of your cruise do not let Princess convert your on board account to your local currency (you can do this on your boarding pass, but make sure at the Purser's desk they are not ignoring that tick mark.) They will use a poor exchange rate and then charge you 3% more as a convenience fee. Better to let the charge go to your bank as US$ and let the bank do the conversion.

Princess does not use what you see as the current rate.

There have been other posts by UK folk indicating they decided to not purchase in advance because of this.

Also, at the end of your cruise do not let Princess convert your on board account to your local currency (you can do this on your boarding pass, but make sure at the Purser's desk they are not ignoring that tick mark.) They will use a poor exchange rate and then charge you 3% more as a convenience fee. Better to let the charge go to your bank as US$ and let the bank do the conversion.

You are correct Carbill. I actually rang Princess with an idea to purchasing some OBC but with their poor exchange rate wasn't worthwhile. Many banks, post office and M&S offer better rates.

I will buy my drinks package once on board ;)

Edited by Pjran

I think you will find it is also, in part, a cultural difference. Americans are used to seeing basic prices before sales tax and accept that they will pay more than is on the label whereas we see prices including tax.

Although sales tax does not apply, you will probably find that there is 15% gratuity in your sterling price which will automatically be added to the dollar price when the transaction is processed.

Try adding 15% to the dollar prices and then reassess. Obviously this is not relevant with OBC.

You will get best rate by settling in dollars using commission free Nationwide Select or Halifax Clarity credit card

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Dear all,

Does anyone know how Princess calculate their US to Pound Sterling exchange rate? I booked an all-inclusive drinks package and soft drink package for a cruise in September and noticed that it looks about 40 pounds more than if I booked it at today's rate. Has the exchange rate worsened in two weeks or do Princess set their own rate?

Many Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Princess set an exchange rate at the beginning of the season for OBC, packages and gifts etc. At present it is better to buy the drinks package on board. You can ring and cancel as Janecambridge has advised on another post.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43771587#post43771587

Edited by Gettingwarmer