Question for those who have been on NCL Epic, Breakaway or Gateaway.

cruiseelady

Having spent 2 weeks in a Breakaway studio, and having 2 more cruises booked in the same cabin, I totally agree with you. If solo cruisers want to attend the nightly meeting, fine. If not, they should not be allowed to enter the Lounge whenever they feel like it. That's not the way it was marketed and I'll be contacting NCL for clarification and to voice my concerns.

I would rather see NCL reduce the price of the studios than have them restrict access to the Studio Lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather see NCL reduce the price of the studios than have them restrict access to the Studio Lounge.

A lower price is always better, but I doubt that'd happen given the set-up. I called Corporate Headquarters; the woman I spoke with said if anyone not in a Studio was given all day access to the area it was a mistake as NCL considers the Studio amenities like they do The Haven; people pay for that area specifically, and they are the ones who get what's there. She also told me they take a comment like cruisers having cards for 2 areas with a lot of skepticism when it's mentionned on CC because it can't be substantiated.

Good to hear- last year when I upgraded they gave me static but maybe enough people mentioned it that they started giving the extra cards.

Our hostess was the one who obtained the additional cards. They were true solo travelers who missed out on booking a studio because they were sold out.

However, not all the hallway doors completely locked - unless you pulled them tight. It was easy enough to get in without the card.

I suppose what I am asking is- aside from the pre-dinner gatherings and the opportunity to meet other solo cruisers, what is at the Studio Lounge during the day that makes people on this thread want to gain an access card?

In my opinion, it is most significant for the pre dinner gathering, but it is nice to pop in every now and then early in the morning.

I would rather everyone have access to it- the more the merrier.

I am likely upgrading my studio; right now it is around $230 more to get a studio and then get a ($110) OBC back.

However, I still might wait a little as it could go down a little more

In my opinion, it is most significant for the pre dinner gathering, but it is nice to pop in every now and then early in the morning.

I would rather everyone have access to it- the more the merrier.

I am likely upgrading my studio; right now it is around $230 more to get a studio and then get a ($110) OBC back.

However, I still might wait a little as it could go down a little more

That's what I gather from this thread. That the best time to visit the Studio Lounge is for the Gathering but that is open for all the Solo's anyways (no access card required). You mentioned early morning. Is there breakfast served there?

That's what I gather from this thread. That the best time to visit the Studio Lounge is for the Gathering but that is open for all the Solo's anyways (no access card required). You mentioned early morning. Is there breakfast served there?

No breakfast, but sometimes people just informally show up for the coffee, hot chocolate.

You mentioned early morning. Is there breakfast served there?

There were muffins in the mornings in the Getaway Studio Lounge...so if all you want is a "speciality" coffee and muffin, you could have breakfast either in the lounge or take a plate back to your cabin. The studio lounge does not have hot breakfast, nor yogurt, cereal, etc. The coffee machine had speciality coffees, latte, etc...but no regular plain coffee...just the fancy stuff, steamed milk, mocha, etc. There were cookies and cake available throughout the day. They also had a wine "pay by the glass" machine in the studio lounge...I think people just swiped their cruise card to purchase a glass of wine.

I found the studio lounge was usually empty during the day, ...some solos did gather with the "studio host" in the evenings to go to dinner together. Yes, the door was propped open by the host to allow others in to the nightly meeting. Otherwise, the door was locked to outsiders. Some solos put messages on the white board and other solos "signed up" to attend activities together.

Personally...I really liked the studio cabin. Yes...it is small...but it is so well organized with various cubbies and under the bed storage baskets, that there was more than enough room for everything. The whole design concept was great with cool lighting, and functional space. I would choose a studio again over a larger inside cabin...but of course, would give up the studio for a well-priced balcony!

HI all!

I've been on the Epic 3 times in a studio & Getaway once (was also on Breakaway but with a travel partner not in a studio).

In my experience the lounge was just open to solos at the nightly gathering.

The attraction during the day is the fancy coffee machine as there's a charge for those drinks other places, the desserts & on the Epic they had salads & sandwiches too. It's a nice place to sit & talk with others or a roomier place to read, watch tv or use your laptop.

There's also a bartender at the evening gathering but 2 4 1 drinks were discontinued long ago.

I'm looking forward to doing the Epic again in the Med & if the Getaway gets some different ports maybe it too.

~ Jo ~ :)

Silly question, but I have to ask. Is there a coffee maker and

mini fridge in the studio cabins on the Breakaway.

I love my coffee and I would like to bring some yogurt

and bottled water on board.

Hi, Bronxcutie! No coffee maker or fridge in a Studio, but you can get coffee 24/7 in the Lounge.

Our hostess was the one who obtained the additional cards. They were true solo travelers who missed out on booking a studio because they were sold out.

However, not all the hallway doors completely locked - unless you pulled them tight. It was easy enough to get in without the card.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but you have me hoping I will be able to get one of those 'additional' cards next year.

I had a studio booked on the Getaway for next Halloween and the cruise was just canceled by NCL. They moved my reservation over to a sailing on the Escape (yes, I'm excited!), but since there were no available studios, they put me in a regular inside room.

I feel like I have no right to complain regardless of whether or not they give me access to the lounge, since I'm getting a bigger room for a very nice price, but I sure will miss having access to the lounge. :(

I had a studio booked on the Getaway for next Halloween and the cruise was just canceled by NCL. They moved my reservation over to a sailing on the Escape (yes, I'm excited!), but since there were no available studios, they put me in a regular inside room.

I feel like I have no right to complain regardless of whether or not they give me access to the lounge, since I'm getting a bigger room for a very nice price, but I sure will miss having access to the lounge. :(

You might want to mention your "disappointment" in not having access to the Studio lounge to whoever did the re-booking for you. That might trigger the special card for you.

As a frequent studio cruiser, I agree there should not be an access card for non studio guests. Studios are 150% of the cost of interiors. In answer to other posts, the capuchino machine is fantastic...better machine on Epic than Getaway!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As a frequent studio cruiser, I agree there should not be an access card for non studio guests. Studios are 150% of the cost of interiors. In answer to other posts, the capuchino machine is fantastic...better machine on Epic than Getaway!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The repositioning cruise on Epic next weekend will be my first experience of the studios.

If we are paying extra, then the studios should be for studio guests. Looking forward to trying the capucchino machine!

I was on the NCL Getaway 6-13 September 2014. I was solo in a balcony, but attended the gatherings in the Solo Lounge. Those of us not staying in the Studios were given an extra card that allowed 24/7 access to the lounge if we wanted one.

Sent from my iPad Air using Forums