A few nice photos of the ex Empress of the Seas

Yesterday MS Empress (Ex Nordic Empress, Empress of the Seas) called into Bergen, Norway.

I was 62m up on the Askøy bridge to watch her sail underneath, and took a selection of photos which are now on my blog of ships in the city.

http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2014/08/msc-poesia-and-empress.html

I thought this might interest some of you here who may have sailed on her :). She certainly is a far cry from the new RCCL giants!

I'll always have fond memories of the Empress. I remember back in the early 2000s how big I thought she was, especially as I looked down on the original Love Boat that was docked next to us in New York. She was the perfect ship for Bermuda as she could get into St. George's and Hamilton harbors. Few cruisers to Bermuda know what it is like to cruise into those harbors with their narrow cuts.

I'll always have fond memories of the Empress. I remember back in the early 2000s how big I thought she was, especially as I looked down on the original Love Boat that was docked next to us in New York. She was the perfect ship for Bermuda as she could get into St. George's and Hamilton harbors. Few cruisers to Bermuda know what it is like to cruise into those harbors with their narrow cuts.

I remember sailing into. Hamilton and St. George! Also looking over her side to the tiny Love Boat!!

Nice Pix. Never did sail on her, but I believe she was docked next to the Sovereign in Nassau on my second Sovereign cruise. Isn't that the ship with big windows at the back of the dining room that give a great view of the wake?

Yep, It looks like she's got a great set of windows and a dining room at the stern which would give fantastic views (we recently had a table by the aft windows on a P&O cruise and the sunsets were great)!

I'm sure someone here who's sailed on Empress could confirm this :)

Our first cruise was on the Empress 13 years ago May 13 for our honeymoon!

No way! I just sent you a PM!....just realized I can't send you a PM :-( I see you are sailing Explorer tomorrow too!!

Edited by hardingk

No way! I just sent you a PM!....just realized I can't send you a PM :-( I see you are sailing Explorer tomorrow too!!

I don't know how to send a pm on CC :eek:

Funny right! You posted about your cabin being on deck 7 near the library tomorrow on the other thread and then I saw you posted here too about your honeymoon on the Empress in 01. This is pretty ironic :D

I guess we should take our gabbing to our roll call thread :D

To the OP, Thank you for the pictures!

Donna

Nice Pix. Never did sail on her, but I believe she was docked next to the Sovereign in Nassau on my second Sovereign cruise. Isn't that the ship with big windows at the back of the dining room that give a great view of the wake?

Yes, beautiful view of the wake. Friends we sailed with didn't like seeing the wake as we dined --made them seasick. I loved it! She was our first cruise --Nordic Empress 1995 to Bahamas, then again as Empress of the Seas.

• 1 month later...