Not happy with flight booked thru Carnival

txjudy54

We will be going on a cruise out of Miami on Sept. 20th. I have always booked directly with Carnival but this time I used a TA I have used for years for other vacations. I assumed (you know what assume means!!) I would be booked to fly directly into Miami but NOOOOO!! We are leaving the day of our cruise thinking everything would be fine and still hope it is. Carnival booked us to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. We leave Dallas at 7 AM, change planes in Atlanta with a 1 hour layover and then into Ft. Lauderdale at 1:00. We bought transfers thru Carnival and also insurance. When I found out about the flight, I called my TA. She called Carnival who changed our flight to 5:55 AM, 2 hour layover in Atlanta and still getting into Ft. Lauderdale at 1:00. She said Carnival said that was the best they could do so if we have a delay in Atlanta we would have more time!! BS - still getting into to Ft. Lauderdale at 1 and then a 45 minutes (Carnival said 20 minutes) trip to Miami. They would not let me change and come in a day early. Sorry this is so long but I am so frustrated. If I call Carnival, all they will say is I have to talk to my TA and Carnival can only give me general information. Thanks everyone for letting me vent!!! Live and learn!!

OP, you can relax, you are doing fine.

1) People fly into MIA or FLL all the time to cruise out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. It's really no biggie. It's just what is the best deal from the airport you are flying in from.

2) The airline most likely made the change not Carnival to the flight #s and layover time.

3) Feel free to always ask the "WHY" question from your TA on why book seperately? What is the reason to fly in a day before? Can you compare the prices for a day earlier + 1 night hotel vs day of the cruise flights?

Now put on your sunglasses, have a tall frosty drink of your choice (alcohol or not) and pat yourself on the back for still getting the best deal that includes the cruiseline's guarantee to get you to the ship! :)

Do you know where your seats are on the plane? Often if you let the flight attendants know your situation they will try to get you off the plane as quick as possible! My DH is an airline pilot and I know when flying into some cruise ports before the flight attendants have gotten off passengers first if they knew the situation.

I've also been flying with a very tight connection and gotten let off the plane first. It obviously depends on the flight attendants but most are more than willing to help if you are kind/courteous!

Truthfully, if you can't fly in the day before and stay in a hotel, booking airfare through Carnival it probably the next best thing.

Many things can happen flying into a port city day of a cruise, Weather delays, mechanical delays, tarmac delays, missed connections, etc. If you book on your own, you truly are on your own if something happens.

At least with airfare through Carnival you are protected in regards to getting to your ship. As many others have said, the amount of "extra" time you will incur flying into FLL is minimal due to the ease of that airport versus MIA.

Often if you let the flight attendants know your situation they will try to get you off the plane as quick as possible! My DH is an airline pilot and I know when flying into some cruise ports before the flight attendants have gotten off passengers first if they knew the situation.

I've also been flying with a very tight connection and gotten let off the plane first. It obviously depends on the flight attendants but most are more than willing to help if you are kind/courteous!

That's all well and good as long as you don't have any checked bags. You might make it to the next gate quickly--but your bags won't. Which means that you might make the ship--but your bags won't.

Txjudy, you can also make good use of what little time you spend waiting for your luggage at FLL by getting some bottled water/sodas from the vending machines right next to the carousels :) I do that every time I fly into FLL since it is cheaper than buying it on the ship.