What about Viking Oceans excites you the most?

editor@cruisecritic

What's most intriguing about Viking Oceans?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's most intriguing about Viking Oceans?

• It offers a change from large ship cruising
    • Its destination-focused itineraries
    • The ships themselves
    • Inclusive pricing (free WiFi, shore ex, wine with meals)
    • I'm a river fan; keen to try out coastal cruising
    • Something else (comment below)
    • I'm not really interested in Viking's Oceans line

I agree that the wording of the "free wifi" is very misleading. In the original brochure I have it states "complimentary wifi" with 2 ** which state restrictions apply, does not elaborate.The Vikings website now says .

Not sure if there will be a charge to use the wifi while at sea but that seems to be the case!

The self service laundry is complimentary with laundry detergent supplied by Viking.

WhenI go to the Viking site it still says "free Wi Fi" no reference to in port. Where do you see this? Thanks.

WhenI go to the Viking site it still says "free Wi Fi" no reference to in port. Where do you see this? Thanks.

Go to the Vikings Oceans website

under "My Trips" tab

click the "about my ship" tab

"Look what is included in your cruise fare:"

Complimentary Wi-Fi in port so you can remain connected

No other explanation about the free wifi that I can find on the website

Kathy.

I sent Viking an email about the wifi today. This is the response I recieved:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

Restrictions on wireless service are as follows: V and DV cabins are limited to 50mb per day. They can upgrade to unlimited downloads for $4.95 per day. Other cabins have unrestricted access. All cabins can access video streaming for a charge of $11.95 per day.

Kathy

Here is the email I received from Viking Oceans:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

Restrictions on wireless service are as follows: V and DV cabins are limited to 50mb per day. They can upgrade to unlimited downloads for $4.95 per day. Other cabins have unrestricted access. All cabins can access video streaming for a charge of $11.95 per day.

Look What Is Included In Your Cruise Fare:

· Exceptional Accommodations aboard our ships, custom designed to easily access the best destinations up close, with more time in port, including late evenings and overnights for longer exploring

· A Private Veranda including outdoor seating in every stateroom so you can see more during your journey

· King-Size Beds & Spacious Showers in each stateroom

· Staterooms Of Equal Or Greater Square Footage than comparable competitors’ cabins

· Enriching Shore Excursions in each port of call, led by knowledgeable local guides

· Cultural Enrichment for immersion in your destinations through recommended reading, onboard classes, port guides, enrichment lectures and performances of music, art, cooking, dance, history and cinema

· World-Class Service from our friendly, knowledgeable, English-speaking staff trained to the highest standards

· Our Onboard Viking Concierge for personalized assistance to help plan your perfect day

· All Onboard Meals, custom-created with fresh local ingredients and choices of regional specialties

· A Variety Of Dining Options from casual to private dining, with the most al fresco dining on the sea

· Complimentary Restaurant Reservations* with your choice of multiple dining venues & times (including open seating)

· Complimentary Wine, Beer & Soft Drinks with onboard dinner and lunch service

· Complimentary Specialty Coffees & Teas available 24 hours

· Complimentary Wi-Fi in port so you can remain connected

· Complimentary Self-Service Laundry facilities on multiple decks

· Complimentary 24-Hour Room Service for that nibble whenever you have a craving

· All Port Charges & Government Taxes—no nickel and diming

*Reservation priority based on stateroom category; basic-level stateroom does not include reservations. All your included options add up to over $200 per couple per day of included value!

For more information about the ship, visit the Viking Star page.

If you have other general questions please advise.

• 1 month later...
Can't believe all the folks so concerned about wifi. Found a great and more enjoyable solution--leave the darn thing home and enjoy "smelling the roses" or whatever else there is to experience. Your e-mail will await your return home! Deal with it!;)

It's not that. In our case we belong to an active international photographic community that runs regular themed "challenges", 3x a week. We're gonna be on the boat for 21 days, seeing all sorts of wonderful places and things, and we were thrilled by the free wifi and the ability to enter pictures as we travel :D

It's not about e-mail, or about facebook, or anything like that. All that can wait...

Sorry-- forgot there are probably several great reasons to be "on-line". I guess I'm getting to be too old fashioned--see so many folks on their internet devices and missing what is happening around them that I tend to over-generalize. I leave my "devices" at home when I travel, but of course I'm not totally unconnected as my wife has her I-phone just in case.:o

I love making my final payment 18-24 months out; I have lots of money to loan

interest-free.

I like being in steerage class when it comes to reserving excursions and making restaurant reservations.

Even though a basic excursion is included in the cabin cost, the optional excursions will be tempting, so you're basically paying for the included excursions you may not go on.

The "free" beer, wine and sodas even if I don't drink them.

And finally, what do you think Viking will expect in the way of gratuities?

I honestly don't know if these things excite me or just get my blood pressure up.

DITTO.

Add to that how excited I was to hear that for Cat V and DV passengers the "free while in port" internet access will be limited unless you pay a daily fee.

We became increasingly disenchanted, and therefore cancelled about 10 days ago and booked a similar cruise on another line. Still waiting for the refund of our money they have had since December 2013

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were invited to the launch party in Beverly Hills, where Torstein Hagen debuted the model of the Viking Star and the initial itinerary. We were sold, and as soon as bookings were open, contacted our TA to book the maiden voyage. When we first began cruising, it was on ships carrying 700 passengers, and our last ocean cruise was on a ship with 3000 passengers; an experience we did not enjoy. After that experience, we began river cruising with Viking, and we are thrilled to be able to now have the choice of either river or ocean cruising with them.

Becki

Hi Becki. My husband was at that launch party, too. I, unhappily, couldn't go. Having us cruisers worked didn't it? My husband came home and begged to go on Viking Oceans. It took a month or two before I gave in, but yes, we gave in!

As to what excites me the most, even though the poll is finished, I'll give my 2 cents' worth: One thing I really like is eating outside if the weather is good. We do that a lot on Oceania, and so I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of that on Viking Star. Of course, that assumes that the weather in Croatia, Turkey, etc. in October is good, and that the "World Buffet" or whatever it's called, is, too! I also love the fact that most of the ship has big windows. Much of the time on an ocean cruise there isn't much to see, but I still enjoy looking for lighthouses, other vessels, etc. We also love small ships, and ones that go to different places, and ones that are focused on the ports less than the partying and the ships, so Viking Star sounds right to us. I'm excited to have some free shore excursions instead of having to choose between pricey ship excursions and DIY affairs. We're die-hard Oceania fans (both sizes of ships) but have also done several Viking river cruises, so we see Viking Oceans as one more possible cruise line to fall in love with. And of course, with the Star being a brand new ship, she will be beautiful, classy and elegant, so what's not to love?

It's not that. In our case we belong to an active international photographic community that runs regular themed "challenges", 3x a week. We're gonna be on the boat for 21 days, seeing all sorts of wonderful places and things, and we were thrilled by the free wifi and the ability to enter pictures as we travel :D

It's not about e-mail, or about facebook, or anything like that. All that can wait...

For me I am travelling with my mom and aunt and Uncle, and will be leaving my 6 year old daughter at home with my wife, I nearly turned this trip down for that reason. I am going to need to be able to chat with her or Facetime or I might lose my mind :-)

Hi Becki. My husband was at that launch party, too. I, unhappily, couldn't go. Having us cruisers worked didn't it? My husband came home and begged to go on Viking Oceans. It took a month or two before I gave in, but yes, we gave in!

As to what excites me the most, even though the poll is finished, I'll give my 2 cents' worth: One thing I really like is eating outside if the weather is good. We do that a lot on Oceania, and so I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of that on Viking Star. Of course, that assumes that the weather in Croatia, Turkey, etc. in October is good, and that the "World Buffet" or whatever it's called, is, too! I also love the fact that most of the ship has big windows. Much of the time on an ocean cruise there isn't much to see, but I still enjoy looking for lighthouses, other vessels, etc. We also love small ships, and ones that go to different places, and ones that are focused on the ports less than the partying and the ships, so Viking Star sounds right to us. I'm excited to have some free shore excursions instead of having to choose between pricey ship excursions and DIY affairs. We're die-hard Oceania fans (both sizes of ships) but have also done several Viking river cruises, so we see Viking Oceans as one more possible cruise line to fall in love with. And of course, with the Star being a brand new ship, she will be beautiful, classy and elegant, so what's not to love?

Hi, Roothy!

I've seen you on the river cruise boards. Sorry we didn't get to meet at the launch party. I look forward to meeting you on the Star. We will be traveling with friends we met on our first river cruise, Viking's ''Tulips & Windmills', and we just cruised with them again this past June on the 'Passage to Eastern Europe'.

My husband and I have been enjoying some Rick Steves shows on PBS that have been showcasing some of the ports we'll be visiting on the Star. Recent shows have featured Ephesus, Dubrovnik and Kotor. It really ramped up the anticipation for the cruise.

Becki

Hi, Roothy!

I've seen you on the river cruise boards. Sorry we didn't get to meet at the launch party. I look forward to meeting you on the Star. We will be traveling with friends we met on our first river cruise, Viking's ''Tulips & Windmills', and we just cruised with them again this past June on the 'Passage to Eastern Europe'.

My husband and I have been enjoying some Rick Steves shows on PBS that have been showcasing some of the ports we'll be visiting on the Star. Recent shows have featured Ephesus, Dubrovnik and Kotor. It really ramped up the anticipation for the cruise.

Becki

Tulips and Windmills was our first river cruise, too. It was a great introduction to river cruising, which I absolutely love, as the scenery while you cruise is so nice compared to the majority of the time you look outside on an ocean cruise. Paris to Prague has been my favorite Viking cruise to date, although China was pretty spectacular, too.

I'll have to look for those Rick Steves shows, as our itinerary includes Ephesus, Dubrovnik and Kotor. Maybe they will be on again, as that's usual for PBS! I forget, are you on our cruise (Sept. 29 from Venice) or one of the spring ones that go those places? I wanted to go in the spring, but it was so booked up, I couldn't afford the categories that were left, so went with one of the fall ones.

Regarding the things that people are not crazy about: With the Wifi, I suspect that the limiting of WiFi for veranda and deluxe veranda passengers has as much to do with trying to keep the system at a reasonable pace as it does with being nice to people, or giving people in the higher categories what they paid for. On ocean cruises, it is SO common to hear people complain about the speed of the internet and how long it takes to simply get on and send a few emails. With so many people now carrying smartphones and tablets, and posting pictures to Facebook etc., it's only bound to get worse. I really don't know how far that daily allotment of MBs will take me, but I'm sure it will be enough. If not, I'll just come back to the ship a little early one day and use the Wifi in the port.

As to the gratuities, I really don't mind that not being included in the cruise price. I think the amount you tip (or don't tip) is an individual thing, and if the tips are included, many people would not give anything else, even if service was spectacular.

Kind of off topic, but I'm curious: I have been looking at flights. Does anyone have any feedback on Viking's air department, especially if I want to ask for a deviation? For our river cruises, we didn't do anything fancy about air, but for this cruise, we want to take an extra day at either end of the cruise. Flying to Venice and back from Istanbul is a little challenging, I've found - as is hotel hunting in Venice.

Edited by roothy123

Roothy,

Oh, shoot, I guess I was assuming you were on the maiden voyage of the Star, April 11. That is the one we are on, from Istanbul to Venice. We used Viking Custom Air once, but I had done my homework and knew what flights I wanted and what they cost. That way I knew if Viking Air was a comparable deal or better. If you want to just let Viking book your flights straight out, they will let you know the arrangements 60-90 days in advance of the cruise. If you want some say in the flights, you can use Custom Air, which is $50 pp and may be addt'l if certain flights are not within Viking's normal schedule. With doing a deviation, you'll need to add $100pp to Viking's cost to compare costs. We purchased air this past summer when prices were low, so we're doing our own. We are going into Istanbul a day early and staying over in Venice 2 days after. If you book your own flights, you can use Viking's transfers for a fee. This is new as of this year, as prior to this change, unless you booked Viking Air, you were responsible for getting yourself to the ship.

Becki