Were you satisfied with your "guarantee" room?

happywife0921

We just received our room number for Carnival Dream and we are on the upper deck smack dab in the middle of the ship. We were kinda wary since last time we picked a balcony and our location, this time gambled on a guarantee interior...anyone really happy with their room or got upgraded?

I think it's always a gamble but your still getting your choice of room at a cheaper rate. Most that choose this are happier to pay a lower rate for an unknown location. I only did it once and was satisfied. But once I got a taste of a lido balcony that was it. I'll pay whatever it takes to get that location from now on.

We had booked an OV guarantee for our Carnival Legend Panama cruise and had gotten a free upgrade to an obstructed balcony, so we were very happy with that guarantee assignment. Also got an "upgrade" on Princess from a standard OV to a superior OV (little bot larger room), but was still an OV. Didn't care a whole lot for that cabin only because t was below the bridge wing, and we had to keep our drapes closed at night if the cabin's lights were on. Other than that, on Carnival, we have always booked GTY's and have always been assigned a standard cabin about midship. We have yet to be disappointed with a guarantee assignment, though I'm sure it does happen. We generally book GTY's just to get a better price, as we certainly aren't fortunate enough to book the higher dollar cabins, so we usually book the GTY's to save some money just to be able to cruise.

This time around we booked a specific category for RCI as we now have 5 in our family, and with one that will only be about 2 at the time, thought the larger cabin would be better for us.

I'd have no problem booking another GTY, but just prepare yourself for the possibility of being booked in the least desirable cabin in a given category. If you are not prone to motion sickness, and are not bothered by noise/vibrations, etc., then a GTY might be a great way to save some money. If your goal is to ultimately save some money, sometimes a very significant amount, and can tolerate the potential noises, vibrations, and possibly very long walks, then by all means book one.

You paid less to get what you get - you don't get upset. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept day after day on here. If you don't like taking a chance of a bad cabin, pay the few extra dollars and get what you want.:cool:

You paid less to get what you get - you don't get upset. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept day after day on here. If you don't like taking a chance of a bad cabin, pay the few extra dollars and get what you want.:cool:

You nailed it

Did a balcony guarantee once and will never do it again.

We ended up right above the theater on the Conquest.

We heard the shows, travel talks, shopping talks, shore excursion talks and every show rehearsal as if they were in the cabin with us.

Exactly - GTY's are for the flexible and extremely tolerant. For those that don't like noise, those that have mobility issues, or simply don't want to take LOOOOONG walks, light sleepers, etc, then a GTY is not for you. That's the trade off, in exchange for the lower price, you have to be willing to accept what they give you. I don't understand the ones who book a GTY and then turn around and call the cruise line to try and switch cabins because they're not happy with it. If not willing to accept what is assigned, don't book it in the first place. As said elsewhere, if you want that awesome aft balcony with the extra space, don't book a guarantee and expect to get it. You have to be willing to take the absolute least desirable cabin - if you're going to be picky, then book the room you want.

I personally would never book a gty for the reasons stated. There is a REASON you don't get to pick your cabin and that it is a lower rate. If you get a good cabin,that's great, but there's also the chance you won't. It's all going to depend on what is left over after people do pick their cabins.

debbie

We just received our room number for Carnival Dream and we are on the upper deck smack dab in the middle of the ship. We were kinda wary since last time we picked a balcony and our location, this time gambled on a guarantee interior...anyone really happy with their room or got upgraded?

We did a suite guarantee on the Miracle a few years ago. We knew exactly where the suites were located beforehand, so we knew we would be happy with whichever suite we got. It was aft, and it was the suite next to the wraparound suites. I'm not sure what kind of suite it was, but we loved it.

We had an inside guarantee on the Glory cruise to Canada, ended up with deck 7 and it was in the forward section. It wasn't bad at all. To me, it was like any other interior cabin. We aren't ones to hang out in the cabin, we are usually out and about.

We also have an oceanview guarantee for our upcoming cruise on Conquest. I am fine with whatever, I am easy to get along with. I don't mind walks, in fact I like them for more exercise, and I always have earplugs packed with me. I don't sleep well anyway, noisy or silent. So I'm sure I will be happy with whatever oceanview they would like to give me.

:)

We did a suite guarantee on the Miracle a few years ago. We knew exactly where the suites were located beforehand, so we knew we would be happy with whichever suite we got. It was aft, and it was the suite next to the wraparound suites. I'm not sure what kind of suite it was, but we loved it.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, that is kind of a no-brainer. Ship designers generally place suites in some of the best real estate on the ships. Doubtful you'll find any suites slapped next to the ballast tanks, anchor rodes, or bow thrusters. Most suites are on the upper decks. Getting a good suite on a guarantee is bound to happen - you're not taking the chance of getting placed in the "belly of the beast" so to speak. Standard cabins can be anywhere on the ship, near storage rooms, mechanical rooms, galleys, etc., that can create a fair amount of noise.

Im actually pleased with our location, since I got the room # today I looked it up to see the location and its just what we were hoping for, to be midship. So Im definitely fine with that. I guess somehow I was under the impression that with a gty cabin we wouldnt find out our location until we are getting ready to board. But its only my second cruise so what do I know lol.

Our very first cruise we booked and paid for an Oceanview Guarantee. My PVP called us about a week before the cruise and told us we had been upgraded to a balcony cabin on deck 8. We were directly under the Lido deck and did hear noise for up there but it did not bother us. That was the only time we booked a guarantee cabin, we now choose where we want to be.

I booked guarantee interior cabins (often guarantee 1A cabins, in fact) and were happy with what we got all except one time. That time, we got the farthest forward cabin on Riviera deck (a 4A) and just didn't feel like taking that hike, so we just waited until rates went down then spent a bit to upgrade to an oceanview midship. Of course, if you don't get your assignment until the very last minute, it's hard to buy your way out of it if you decide you don't care for it. And if rates don'r go down near sailing time, you may not be able to afford an upgrade. It helps to be flexible!

We did get one other undesirable guarantee cabin, now that I think about it. But we didn't know it was not such a hot cabin until we were on board. It was an interior on the Lido deck, and we thought we had lucked out on the location (which we had) but it turned out that it was a handicap cabin and had little storage space, little floor space, and, if I recall correctly, did not have a chair. It only had the vanity stool. The bathroom was big, but at the expense of cabin space, so that was not a good thing for us. But I got over my irritation and had a great time on the cruise.

At the end of the day, you are on a cruise. RElax and have fun!

I've done it 5 times and its always been like finding hundreds of dollars-but you need to pay attention to how the ship is selling. I always sail in August and September in most recent years Carnival has had excess capacity on almost all its sailings. Probably not near as good a strategy in summer or the holidays

I've bought "Guarantee" cabins many, many times, and can't remember the last time I was disappointed with the cabin. Usually I'm assigned a category or two upgrade, and occasionally, I've been given an OUTSTANDING upgrade. Best I ever got was aboard "Breeze", where I bought an inside GTY, and got aboard to find that we'd been upgraded to an OCEAN SUITE! How sweet it was! :cool:

"SKY"

We booked a balcony guarantee for the September 1st Freedom at a price we thought was pretty good (since the price has dropped about $20 per person it appears) on August 12th. We were assigned a Lido Deck balcony the next day (August 14th).

Everything we have read on cruise critic seems to point to being a good location, so I will be interested as our two prior cruises were a porthole room on deck 2, and a balcony on deck 6(guarantee balcony booked 8 months in advance).

Edited by thisishowwecruise

I think a lot of first timers booking a guarantee think that a huge chance of an upgrade is there-- but the mere fact is you get the category you booked. Rare is the chance to upgrade to the next category-- (balcony to a suite)

it does happen and reading here it sounds like it happens a lot. It doesnt.

I could not do a guarantee because my chances of getting a cabin within a noisy area is there.. and not willing to take that chance.

Most that book a guarantee do it because the price is so much cheaper then picking your cabin.

if you do not like your cabin you can pay the difference and move to a different category.

For you getting a cabin on the Upper deck is the reason I can not do a guarantee

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, that is kind of a no-brainer. Ship designers generally place suites in some of the best real estate on the ships. Doubtful you'll find any suites slapped next to the ballast tanks, anchor rodes, or bow thrusters. Most suites are on the upper decks. Getting a good suite on a guarantee is bound to happen - you're not taking the chance of getting placed in the "belly of the beast" so to speak. Standard cabins can be anywhere on the ship, near storage rooms, mechanical rooms, galleys, etc., that can create a fair amount of noise.

Um, actually, it wasn't a "no brainer" for us. It was our first guaranteed suite, first time on the Miracle, and we always chose mid-ship, lower decks in our past cruises, so even though we knew where the majority of suites were located on the Miracle, we were hoping to be mid-ship, but instead, we were given an Aft suite, but as it turned out it was our favorite cabin ever, and since that cruise, we have never gone back to mid-ship, and have always booked a balcony, higher deck, Aft.

Um, actually, it wasn't a "no brainer" for us. It was our first guaranteed suite, first time on the Miracle, and we always chose mid-ship, lower decks in our past cruises, so even though we knew where the majority of suites were located on the Miracle, we were hoping to be mid-ship, but instead, we were given an Aft suite, but as it turned out it was our favorite cabin ever, and since that cruise, we have never gone back to mid-ship, and have always booked a balcony, higher deck, Aft.

My post being a no-brainer was in reference to suites generally being in a good location and not in the bowels of the ship near noisy equipment, nothing more. I wasn't trying to insult you, so if you took it that way, it was not meant as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app