emerald Princess?

fzbob

well guys....

Been back a few days now, so thought I'd give you my thoughts.

Sorry to have to say... I was very disappointing with this trip.:(

The stateroom was not what I was led to believe. It had bunks either side of the two single beds joined together.(this was not mentioned to me at all)

Although they were closed up against the wall, they still stood out approx 12 inches or so. This meant getting out of the bed I had to stoop along the length of the bed to avoid the bunk on my side. Likewise did my good lady:mad:

this caused me to slip a disk in my lower back....

Admittedly I have had a back problem for a few years due to injury playing football.

This was a complete disaster, as It effected me throughout the cruise and the 5 x tours I had booked:(.

I did complain at the desk, but they said they could not put me into another room due to the ship being full.

If I had known/been told that the room had bunks etc, I would have upgraded when booking

I have to say also that I was a bit disappointed with the variety shows on board, apart from Bernie flint, Freddy of "Mercury rising" and David Copperfield. The other shows was very low budget we ALL (19 of us) thought...there was a distinct lack of dancing clubs available too.

We were happy with the service throughout though, apart from one waiter who was rather rude to my wife.

TBF I have only been on one other cruise ship...Voyager of the sea ( Royal Caribbean ) But that was far superior than the Emerald IMO:o

Sorry to sound like a whinger, but I felt i had to say what I and others of my group thought/said.

This hasn't quite put me off cruising, but my next one will be a different cruise line.

Regards

Disappointed Bob

Bob, I don't blame you for being disappointed about the two bunks in your cabin. I would have been very annoyed if I had gotten onboard to find that too. If you are booking a Princess cruise online, the deck plan definitely does not show which cabins have the bunk beds. You have to do a bit more sleuthing to find this out--which is very user-unfriendly.

Here is a link to a thread which describes how you can find out which Princess cabins have the bunk beds and also mentions an app which has deck plans with that information for many cruise lines. I hope you will find both useful in your future cruise planning.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102831&page=2

FWIW, when I read the above thread, I immediately went to check if the cabins I had booked for our December cruise on the Emerald had the bunks because, like you, I had booked our cabins assuming they were only for 2 people. Fortunately, the cabins I had booked were just for two passengers! This will be my 3rd Princess cruise and I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the two others.

well guys....

The stateroom was not what I was led to believe. It had bunks either side of the two single beds joined together.(this was not mentioned to me at all)

Although they were closed up against the wall, they still stood out approx 12 inches or so. This meant getting out of the bed I had to stoop along the length of the bed to avoid the bunk on my side. Likewise did my good lady:mad:

Admittedly I have had a back problem for a few years due to injury playing football.

This was a complete disaster, as It effected me throughout the cruise and the 5 x tours I had booked:(.

I did complain at the desk, but they said they could not put me into another room due to the ship being full.

If I had known/been told that the room had bunks etc, I would have upgraded when booking

I have to say also that I was a bit disappointed with the variety shows on board, apart from Bernie flint, Freddy of "Mercury rising" and David Copperfield. The other shows was very low budget we ALL (19 of us) thought...there was a distinct lack of dancing clubs available too.

We were happy with the service throughout though, apart from one waiter who was rather rude to my wife.

TBF I have only been on one other cruise ship...Voyager of the sea ( Royal Caribbean ) But that was far superior than the Emerald IMO:o

Sorry to sound like a whinger, but I felt i had to say what I and others of my group thought/said.

This hasn't quite put me off cruising, but my next one will be a different cruise line.

Regards

Disappointed Bob

Well we have just returned from the same cruise and really enjoyed the cruise and thought the food in MDR, Crown Grill and Crab Shack was excellent but service was very poor in Horizon Court. The dancing shows did improve as cruise went on but the Cruise Director, the excellent Kelvin Joy, did say it was their first cruise together so that can happen on any ship with any cruise line. Overall the weather was excellent the Captain very informitive and always spoke when we saw him and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and canot wait for the next one.

Edited by majortom10

I sailed on Emerald Princess in September and a great time. It was my first time on Emerald Princess plus the first time I sailed solo. Every evening I dined at Michaelangelo dining room around 7:15 and never had to wait; probably because I wanted to share a table. Couples wanting a table for 2 generally had to wait. The staff was very efficient and friendly. Breakfast and lunch was at the Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe respectively. The wait staff was friendly and a variety to feast on.

The evening shows by the Princess dancers were not like before which surprised me given last year on the Royal they were outstanding. In the past, it was very professional Broadway types of shows. This 14-day cruise only had 3 performances by the dancers and although there was improvement as the performances went on; it still was not like the groups in the past. Some passengers on board described it as a high school recital.

Despite the one aspect of entertainment, the itinerary, weather and activities were all enjoyable and I would consider sailing on Emerald for future cruises.

Well we have just returned from the same cruise and really enjoyed the cruise and thought the food in MDR, Crown Grill and Crab Shack was excellent but service was very poor in Horizon Court. The dancing shows did improve as cruise went on but the Cruise Director, the excellent Kelvin Joy, did say it was their first cruise together so that can happen on any ship with any cruise line. Overall the weather was excellent the Captain very informitive and always spoke when we saw him and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and canot wait for the next one.

I take on board (Excuse the pun :D)what you say, but I still stand by what I said....The so called Stateroom was terrible. I have emailed my concerns to Princess, but I bet I don't get a response. :mad:

Edited by fzbob

• 1 month later...

Well....It's been awhile, but NO reply from princess.

I guess they don't give a damn what i think, or maybe they just don't read our mails? Don't know why they bother asking us how the cruise went, if they don't bother reading the reply's.

Think I'll give Princess a miss in future.

Sorry to all you guys that enjoyed your Princess cruises to sound so negative

Hope you enjoy them further.;)

I guess they don't give a damn what i think, or maybe they just don't read our mails? Don't know why they bother asking us how the cruise went, if they don't bother reading the reply's.

I don't think they care what anyone things.

There used to be a check box -- do you want someone to call you

about your comments.

I checked yes.

Some woman called me up and argued with me about the issue

that I had. It simply made the situation worse.

She then said she couldn't continue, because I had been disrespectful

of one of their employees.

I had used the word 'idiot'.

I hung up on her.

(hanging up is not nearly as satisfying with a mobile phone as

it used to be in the old days)

well guys....

Regards

Disappointed Bob

You are not a whinger.Princess will not let you know about this kind of cabin but there are a lot on this ship.

This is how you avoid this kind of cabin.

Go on to Princess site and say you are booking cabin for 4 people.It will bring up all the locations were these cabins are located on the ship....

Well....It's been awhile, but NO reply from princess.

Think I'll give Princess a miss in future.

Sorry to all you guys that enjoyed your Princess cruises to sound so negative

Hope you enjoy them further.;)

Unless you use a travel agent it is up to you to pick your cabin. I'm sure they care but many probably don't check the cabin they book. Even experienced cruisers sometimes forget. You can book above a lounge or club or have deck chairs above you moved around at night or so on and so on. How many the cabin holds can be found and if it is an issue then needs to be researched. Princess can not give each person the perfect cabin for the price they want when that person is the one booking. All they can do is offer is someone on the phone to help with the booking. I'm sorry you had such a hard time. Hope your next cruise is much better.

Research on the Princess web site at deck plans locations plus how many in cabin then you cannot go wrong.When booking on the phone with Princess I always have the deck plans in front of me on the web.You cannot go wrong that way..:)

Being almost a virgin cruiser, I guess I have a lot to learn..:D

Well you know for next time:cool:.

I learned everything from Cruise Critic over the years.I am pleased I found this website :)

Edited by kruisey

Unless you use a travel agent it is up to you to pick your cabin. I'm sure they care but many probably don't check the cabin they book. Even experienced cruisers sometimes forget. You can book above a lounge or club or have deck chairs above you moved around at night or so on and so on. How many the cabin holds can be found and if it is an issue then needs to be researched. Princess can not give each person the perfect cabin for the price they want when that person is the one booking. All they can do is offer is someone on the phone to help with the booking. I'm sorry you had such a hard time. Hope your next cruise is much better.

So true... I helped my In-Laws select a cabin on the Royal which was the furthest aft balcony that faced the starboard side of the ship on Emerald deck. I failed to notice that the smoking area on the "promenade" deck was directly below their cabin and unless you were a smoker yourself, this made their balcony extremely unpleasant to be on as people seemed to smoke there constantly. Luckily it was a colder climate Northern European cruise so they werent out there much due to weather, but details can definitely be missed which would make your cruise less than stellar.