Parking at the port in NY

Mikkar

We decided that we were going to park at the Manhattan Port for our cruise on Oct. 5th on the Breakaway, but now I'm reading on the East Coast departure board that some people have experienced credit card fraud after using their credit card to pay for parking here. We could pay with cash, but someone posted that they were told that if they paid with cash, they would have to park in a second lot, not the one next to the ship, so they ended up paying with their credit card. Now I'm a little nervous about parking here. I don't know if this is a few isolated cases or if it happens more often.

Can anyone here share their experience with parking in this lot?

Thanks

We park there all the time, paid by both cash and credit card, and never had a problem. In fact the most recent poster who talked about credit card fraud really didn't know whether the card had been "skimmed" there or at another place they used it, or if the information had been stolen at some other time but just never used until then.

Hundreds of cruisers park there every week without problem.

There's credit card fraud everywhere. Millions of people had their card information compromised at Target last year.

Dear Mikkar,

On the CC you may be able to with your have a separate transaction Number given by the CC so your have peace of mind. You should tell the Security Dept . of your CC Crads your going away too so as they know if transactions occurring in a land not ours is your own transactions. Knowledge is a wonderful thing eh...

On the North River, ( Most call it the Hudson River which actuall starts a few blocks North of it) Passenger Cruise Ship Terminal :

A FYI:The car ride cost more than the cabins do here. Parking ..a New Jersey word.. FORGETABOUTIT! Just priced it and shows $400.00 YIKES! Highway Robbery? Nah North River has Parking Fleecing..

The NYC Location in Town:

711 12th Avenue, Manhattan, NYC, NY 10019

Cruise Parking:

1 to 10 nights $40.00/per night

Extended Cruise Parking

11 to 30 nights $400.00

Taxes are included in the rates. Payment is due upon arrival into the parking lot. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Payment ONLY accepted by cash, Visa, and MasterCard Credit Cards.

Many other Parking Lots are so close.

Motor Coach from your State too is a lot less costly even from/with NCL.

We decided that we were going to park at the Manhattan Port for our cruise on Oct. 5th on the Breakaway, but now I'm reading on the East Coast departure board that some people have experienced credit card fraud after using their credit card to pay for parking here. We could pay with cash, but someone posted that they were told that if they paid with cash, they would have to park in a second lot, not the one next to the ship, so they ended up paying with their credit card. Now I'm a little nervous about parking here. I don't know if this is a few isolated cases or if it happens more often.

Can anyone here share their experience with parking in this lot?

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. I'm feeling better about using this facility.

AAAAmerican - I didn't know about asking for a separate transaction number - thank you for that information.

mjkacmom - that's exactly why we want to drive, so that we can get off the ship and right into the car and drive home.

Make sure you google search for coupons. There is one now for 25%off on Saturday departures. So I save $70 off of the $280 on my Gem Cruise next Saturday. It expires this month.

http://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2012/06/MCT_parking2014.pdf

Oh, and we've parked there 10 times in the past 2 years and always paid by credit card and never had an issue. It is also the absolute safest place to park in NYC. Once the ship leaves no one enters that parking area until that ship returns. And it is guarded 24/7.

So....safe and convenient takes away some of the sticker shock!

Edited by cls711

There is a separate parking area for each ship. We have arrived early (8:00AM)and late (12:30PM) for both the Breakaway and the Gem and have never had an issue. If you get there too early you will have to wait while the cruisers from the previous cruise leave the parking area. It really is easy and once you decide that is what you are going to do no further worry is needed.

People will tell you that there are other garages in the city where you can save $5 to $15 a day but remember, most of them require you to leave your keys with them so they can shuffle cars around throughout the week. That's a no no for me.

The website for the terminal states it is first come first served for terminal parking. If we arrive around 9:30 am is there any chance we might not find a space. Both the Breakaway and the Gem will be sailing on the same day.

Gem sails Saturday and breakaway on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Make sure you google search for coupons. There is one now for 25%off on Saturday departures. So I save $70 off of the $280 on my Gem Cruise next Saturday. It expires this month.

http://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2012/06/MCT_parking2014.pdf

Oh, and we've parked there 10 times in the past 2 years and always paid by credit card and never had an issue. It is also the absolute safest place to park in NYC. Once the ship leaves no one enters that parking area until that ship returns. And it is guarded 24/7.

So....safe and convenient takes away some of the sticker shock!

Thank you!! I feel so much better about using the credit card and leaving the car there for a week.

Gem sails Saturday and breakaway on Sunday.

Not true on the date the poster is taking their cruise, 11/9. Both the Breakaway and Gem are in port that day. The Gem is doing a 6 night Sun.-Sat. cruise that was added when the Gem's drydock was postponed.

The website for the terminal states it is first come first served for terminal parking. If we arrive around 9:30 am is there any chance we might not find a space. Both the Breakaway and the Gem will be sailing on the same day.

You should be fine. I wouldn't arrive much before 10 because you need to allow the disembarking passengers time to clear out of the parking lot. Remember both ships are also disembarking that day so parking spaces previously occupied by both will be vacated.

Cruising breakaway on Sunday but arriving in NYC on Saturday. Does it make sense to leave car at the breakaway lot a day early?

It is my understanding that the lot is closed until the ship comes back from the prior sailing. I don't believe you would be able to get in until the day of your sailing.

Hi,

Are there porters available in the parking area to help with luggage etc? We are 4 adults and one 17 month old. One adult uses a wheelchair so we will definitely need someone to help us.

Do you park and then take your luggage? Or can you drop off some and then go park?

For disembarking can you get porters to help go to the car?

We are trying to decide if driving ourselves is a better option then having someone drop us off and then pick us up.

Thanks

Hi,

Are there porters available in the parking area to help with luggage etc? We are 4 adults and one 17 month old. One adult uses a wheelchair so we will definitely need someone to help us.

Do you park and then take your luggage? Or can you drop off some and then go park?

We are trying to decide if driving ourselves is a better option then having someone drop us off and then pick us up.

Thanks

I wouldn't count on finding a porter in the parking lot. You can drop passengers and luggage at the lower level, but it might take a while to make that loop again, with traffic. You can definitely get a porter before customs and he will take you to your vehicle (I think we topped $20 - we tip $2 per bag when dropping luggage off).

Hi,

Thanks

From what I have read, you are not able to drop the luggage and then go directly to the parking area. You would have to drop the luggage, leave the complex and come back in to the parking area.

Edited by keep on cruisin

I wouldn't count on finding a porter in the parking lot. You can drop passengers and luggage at the lower level, but it might take a while to make that loop again, with traffic. You can definitely get a porter before customs and he will take you to your vehicle (I think we topped $20 - we tip $2 per bag when dropping luggage off).

Can't drop at the curb go all they way up and park then send one person down one level and bring a porter up with them

Can't drop at the curb go all they way up and park then send one person down one level and bring a porter up with them

Why can't they be dropped at the curb, at the same level car services drop at? It's just that the driver wouldn't be able to park, but have to circle back again to park (probably take at least a half hour).

I know it took us about 10 minutes for a porter to have a minute to load up our bags. I don't know oh easy it would be to get one to wait for the elevator and come to the parking lot to load up bags.

Like I said...it is all soooooo easy. Pay guy at entrance, turn into the parking area for your ship, pass by officer w/ sniffer dog, pull over, drop a person w/ the luggage literally 5 steps from the elevator, park, meet party at elevator, get off elevator at ground level, walk 5-10 steps to porters, give them bags, soda cases etc, tip them (you do want to see your bags again. yes?) Walk inside. You carry or roll your luggage less than 20 steps. IT'S SOOOOO EASY! That's why we all pay sooooo much for it!

And yes, a few times I have spotted a porter returning to the elevator from his trip out with previous cruisers luggage, flagged him down and put luggage directly on his cart from my car. But like I said, it's not even an issue because everything is so close.

Why can't they be dropped at the curb, at the same level car services drop at? It's just that the driver wouldn't be able to park, but have to circle back again to park (probably take at least a half hour).

I know it took us about 10 minutes for a porter to have a minute to load up our bags. I don't know oh easy it would be to get one to wait for the elevator and come to the parking lot to load up bags.

What ever way you like it there is no correct way I would rather go and get a porter and bring them up I have a large group 9 plus it is a lot of bags one in lot I would rather not go back out on the street and chance anything

Perfect The other cars need to get out first remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like I said...it is all soooooo easy. Pay guy at entrance, turn into the parking area for your ship, pass by officer w/ sniffer dog, pull over, drop a person w/ the luggage literally 5 steps from the elevator, park, meet party at elevator, get off elevator at ground level, walk 5-10 steps to porters, give them bags, soda cases etc, tip them (you do want to see your bags again. yes?) Walk inside. You carry or roll your luggage less than 20 steps. IT'S SOOOOO EASY! That's why we all pay sooooo much for it!

And yes, a few times I have spotted a porter returning to the elevator from his trip out with previous cruisers luggage, flagged him down and put luggage directly on his cart from my car. But like I said, it's not even an issue because everything is so close.

This is the way that we do it. Works fine.