Inside cabin in Alaska

zarleydog

We are looking to take either Diamond or Coral from Whitter next spring (May 20 or 22), preceded by four days in Anchorage and Seward.

My wife and I have sailed the inside passage round-trip from Vancouver in late August 2001 (outside cabin on Zandaam,

review here :http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=462)

and also had a balcony on Grand Princess in the Carib. Also, she once sailed in one of NCL Norway's quirky inside roomlets long ago, so we know the basic pro/cons of the inside/outside/balcony arguements firsthand.

My questions for experienced "insiders" are :

Any particular pros or cons regarding public deck space on either vessel ? I've seen the tinted windscreens on Coral mentioned as interfering with the view sometimes.

On Zandaam, I remember good-sized crouds on the top decks in Glacier Bay, but between the top deck and the mid-level Promenade one could find a railing without too much trouble. How much (if at all) do the private balconies alleviate the crowding on top decks & promenade ?

I'm thinking of booking an inside on Aloha deck (if on Diamond) and using the aft pool as our de-facto balcony.

On Coral, there appear to be outside areas on the aft of some decks, are these public spaces ?

On either ship, I think we'll be OK if no more than a deck away from the promenade or the top decks.

What do the experienced "insiders" think ?

My questions for experienced "insiders" are :

Any particular pros or cons regarding public deck space on either vessel ? I've seen the tinted windscreens on Coral mentioned as interfering with the view sometimes.

On Coral, there appear to be outside areas on the aft of some decks, are these public spaces ?

On either ship, I think we'll be OK if no more than a deck away from the promenade or the top decks.

What do the experienced "insiders" think ?

The Coral indeed does have tinted windscreen on some decks that can hinder views. However, the "secret" "CREW ONLY" open viewing on Caribe deck forward and elsewhere (which in fact the naturalist announced were open for Glacier Bay viewing) give a view without the windscreens. Caribe (and I think others) also has an open aft deck with loungers (without the "CREW ONLY" signs) that we used repeatedly for viewing. The Coral is a wonderful ship--so is the Diamond, but we liked the Coral better--similar facilities but 600 fewer passengers.

Les

I've never had an inside, but... One of the advantages of being forward is that as the naturalist announces the sightings, you are looking at the same spot and same time and may actually see the animal sightings she points out.

When you are up in Alaska, and you have an inside cabin, you want to be able to see the spendor of Alaska up on deck with all of your fellow passengers. Even if I had an outside, I would not be in my cabin, but up on deck. A balcony suite, well maybe for a while, if there is a lot to see, so I can sit down, but otherwise still up on deck.

We were on the Coral last year, and while we found those blue wind screens to be annoying for photography, they did come in useful when we were watching wildlife -- it can get really windy up front otherwise, and we were able to spend more time comfortably scanning the ocean while the ship was moving at a good clip -- and saw LOTS of whales as a result. Also, Horizon Court is a great place to sit and enjoy the scenery (and maybe just a little snack...) while the naturalist does her narration in the evenings. The "secret" decks up front would be great for Glacier bay, and we also spent a lot of time up by the basketball court -- very few people, really nice views in all directions except front, warm and out of the wind, and plenty for the kids to do while DW and I stood at the rail, gazing at the scenery. The Coral is a really nice ship, and we are excited about sailing her again next year (to the panama canal).

I am a frequent Alaska visitor and the cheap inside cabins allow me this. :) I am always out on deck, and even when it is "crowded" during your glacier viewing day, few people remain out extensively. Way too many are just underprepared in attire. So the crowds come and go and who cares for the option of the best views. A bonus is also the many eyes and binoculars that will immediately yell out points of interest. :) Insides are especially great leaving the necessary funds for some great tours- which will always be my priority. :)

Archived