Fun restaurant for dinner near the boat

We are on the Montreal to Boston cruise that starts in a week's time.

We have two nights in Quebec so the first night would be a chance to dine onshore.

Can anyone suggest an amusing restaurant within walking distance of where we will be moored?

I use the words fun and amusing to deter suggestions of haute cuisine and gourmet menus as we will be well satisfied with those on board.

Yes, we want good food but we also would like to go somewhere, dare I say it, unusual. Yes, we could take a cab - but we'd rather not.

Oh, for what it is worth... we are Brits.

Tony

I think it is only open for lunch, but Le Lapin Saute comes to mind: http://www.lapinsaute.com/english/the-lapin/

I can't think of any other than that, but we tend to go up scale in Quebec. There are a lot of tourist places. Avoid the ones with the touts out front. You can get some really poor places. Look for little places with interesting menus. The menus are always posted outside, so you can stroll around and make your choice. You should not need a taxi. There are places in the lower town and then in the upper town in the blocks near the Chateau Frontenac.

confused

are you overnighting in Montreal or Quebec City?

I believe the restaurant Mary Ann suggested is in Quebec City so may be a problem if you are in Montreal 2.5 hrs away

There are lots of restaurants near the docks just take a stroll check the menus then decide ..even a horse/carriage ride would be fun & different

Check the Montreal tourist site for more info

Edited by LHT28

LHT,

Don't worry. The question was regarding our overnight in Quebec City.

In fact we are in Montreal for the three nights prior to the cruise and I am now going to do my research on places to eat near the Sainte Sulpice. But I'll start another thread for that one.

Tony

LHT,

Don't worry. The question was regarding our overnight in Quebec City.

In fact we are in Montreal for the three nights prior to the cruise and I am now going to do my research on places to eat near the Sainte Sulpice. But I'll start another thread for that one.

Tony

Good to know

I just did not want you to be making reservations for the wrong city :D

Enjoy

Lyn

A second for Lapin - it's my favourite solo lunch spot in Quebec City. Caveat - though it seems like you did check out the menu already so shouldn't be a surprise - the menu is chock full of rabbit dishes. Not that there aren't other non-fluffy-bunny options, but in case any of your dining companions are anything like my wife - who won't enter a resto with cottontails on the menu - it's hard not to see/smell them coming by your table, as the place is compact.

You could also try Chez Cora - now a chain of breakfast/brunch/lunch spots, with a very happy, sunny vibe that extremely different from most Quebec restaurants - or Pub St Alexandre if you want to see what the Quebecois think a typical English pub is like (while not very English, they do have some much-better-than-it-needs-to-be pub grub, especially the beer sausages and pizzas, plus a wide selection of import & local beers. One of the best spots to sample the goods of several local brewers without having to go to individual breweries).

Pub St Alexandre if you want to see what the Quebecois think a typical English pub is like (while not very English, they do have some much-better-than-it-needs-to-be pub grub, especially the beer sausages and pizzas, plus a wide selection of import & local beers. One of the best spots to sample the goods of several local brewers without having to go to individual breweries).

We had considered the Pub St. Alexandre, but they have live music almost nightly and it was very loud, so if you want to be able to have a conversation with your dining mates, it may not be the best option. Just down the street is the http://www.pubsaintpatrick.com where we had a great, and quiet, meal. It advertises live music as well, but not as often as the Pub St. Alexandre.

I can also recommend http://www.paillard.ca, though it's much more of a sandwich shop than a true restaurant. It was very good, and I can definitely say the bakery (patisserie) and the gelateria are worth a visit.

I can also recommend http://www.paillard.ca, though it's much more of a sandwich shop than a true restaurant. It was very good, and I can definitely say the bakery (patisserie) and the gelateria are worth a visit.

now that sounds like my kind of place :D

Macarons, gelato & pastries

I have my priorities :D

Lyn

If Coras is anything like we have here (same chain) they are overpriced & slow service ..I would pass & look for a local business

Every Ontario Coras we've visited on a weekend was outrageously busy (and hence slow service). OTOH we've never had a bad experience in a Quebec Coras! Price-wise, check the menus - everyones standard are different, but we always found the value very good compared to other Toronto or Ottawa-area breakfasts (which may explain the size of the queues...)

Every Ontario Coras we've visited on a weekend was outrageously busy (and hence slow service). OTOH we've never had a bad experience in a Quebec Coras! Price-wise, check the menus - everyones standard are different, but we always found the value very good compared to other Toronto or Ottawa-area breakfasts (which may explain the size of the queues...)

Good to know the Quebec versions are better ;)

We live outside of TO & have gone on a weekday ..not that busy but still bad service ...

Prefer non chain restaurants where possible

YMMV

You're welcome. We found it wandering around in Old Montreal last year, had a great lunch, and are going to stay there the next time we visit (ask them to show you the rooms). There are a couple of other good places we ate at in the area, but I can't find their names right now. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of mediocre touristy places, but coming from London I suspect you're good at sussing out the differences.

Edited by Langoustine

If you still want a recommendation for a Quebec restaurant, I recommend Aux Anciens Canadiens in Upper Town. It's located in one of the oldest houses in Quebec so the interior is unique. The food is traditional Quebec fare and is excellent. If you can arrange to eat lunch there (as we did) or an early dinner, you can take advantage of the special which includes a glass of wine, an appetizer, an entree and a dessert for as little as $19.95. It is definitely a great deal!