Possible to Bring More Than One Bottle

zdcatc12

I think the current carnival policy of 1 750ml bottle per adult is fair. Bring them in your carry-on and you're good to go. They don't charge corkage fees like other lines. I always bring 2 bottles with us. Hubby doesn't really like wine so both bottles are really for me and since I keep them in our cabin, I can have a glass with (or after) dinner every night by just filling my glass before we wander over to the MDR. I have been tempted to bring other things, but reconsidered because it would be my luck that I would get busted.

Slight correction. Carnival can charge a corkage fee if you bring a bottle to the steakhouse or the MDR. Steakhouse charges $14 and MDR $10 (luckily, my waiter has waived the charge the two times i brought a bottle to the MDR but I was charged in the steakhouse on the Glory).

You're all very lucky you can take any wine aboard. As soon as Carnival ships (i.e. Spirit and soon Legend) hit Australian shores the rules change and the ripoff starts.

Their rules for Australian cruises prohibit any alcoholic drinks being brought aboard and the prices of all alcoholic drinks rise compared to the prices for the same drinks on cruises out of the US and the increase is more than the US$ AU$ exchange rate.

Carnival or any cruise line is not going to deny boarding to any pax unless their is a problem with the government. Denying a pax boarding because they are smuggling is detrimental in at least two ways. If they are trying to bring on alcohol means they will buy drinks onboard resulting in higher revenue. Denying boarding will only make the pax mad and most likely they will lose a future customer. Cruise lines are in the business to fill the cabins and the very profitable bars so it would be a lose-lose situation for Carnival.

As for wine bottles (or liquor) breaking, it is highly unlikely. They are shipped all over the country and world from the winery in cardboard boxes usually 12 to a box. The bottles are quite substantial and hard to break. It can happen but quite rare.

People have been smuggling alcohol for centuries which is how we now have sherry and other drinks. A cruise line can huff and puff and threaten but all it may do is dampen smuggling somewhat. If Carnival followed the rules (law) they would not have lost so many court cases like the infamous fuel surcharge they tried to soak pax for only to have the FL AG slap them down.

Never say Never. ;)

No, it would not cut down on smuggling. NCL does the same, bring as much as you want and pay $15 per bottle. Hasn't slowed the smuggling as people don't want to pay the corkage fee either. And I highly doubt that the level of smuggling has changed either. Denying boarding or kicking people off ship......that would put a dent in smuggling and maybe one day Carnival will get fed up enough to grow a pair and enforce their rules or say the hell with it and remove that rule. Either one works for me.

Geesh louise...lighten up! Not sure why someones bottle of smuggled rum would interfere with your cruise, safety or fun! To each his own. Its just a cruise and its just a few peeps with some booze! Not a felony....yet!

Some people prefer to smuggle the 5 liter bags of wine as they find 750ml to not be enough for a cruise. Hence why they smuggle it in their luggage.

I, for one, don't have any problem with smuggling - i usually still have a bar bill. We chose to purchase a bottle of vodka to be delivered to our room so no matter what, we will be having drinks on the balcony :)

Just curious - why does this (strangers breaking a rule) bother you?

For one: bottles of wine and liquor do break in luggage and leak onto and into luggage around them. The luggage is tossed around by the handlers. And not all smugglers take care to guard against breakage. There are many, many reports of this happening.

It's not like being shipped as satxdiver suggests. These aren't bottles packed nicely in boxes with little cardboard dividers between them, driving down the road. Have you seen the way luggage is handled? No liquor shipping company is treating their merchandise like that.

I don't appreciate having to take extra precautions (packing everything inside my luggage inside plastic) to guard against the very real possibility of someone else's smuggled goods ruining my belongings.

For two: the rules are for all of us, and we all agree to them when we sign the contract. Those that break the rules do affect the rest of us that follow them. Prices are hiked to compensate, the screening process to board is longer and more annoyingly involved for all of us because they are treating us all like smugglers.

For three: I'm an honest person and I don't like dishonesty in others. One who signs their name to a promise (contract) with every intention of breaking that promise is by definition, being dishonest. It devalues their word / their signature and opens their integrity in all areas to doubt.

For four: Smuggling and similar rule-breaking is just one more (small) manifestation of the entitlement, "it's all about me" society, which saddens me.

You asked, and I honestly answered (because honesty is a virtue I respect, value, and strive for) your question, very possibly to my own detriment. I don't like to make enemies and those who smuggle will likely not think well of me for expressing these thoughts.:( But I did 'open my big mouth' in the first place by posting on this thread, so I'll take my lumps.:o

So flame away, y'all. And those smugglers that see me onboard and choose not to speak to me because of my opposite views, I understand.:o:(:o

for one: Bottles of wine and liquor do break in luggage and leak onto and into luggage around them. The luggage is tossed around by the handlers. And not all smugglers take care to guard against breakage. There are many, many reports of this happening.

It's not like being shipped as satxdiver suggests. These aren't bottles packed nicely in boxes with little cardboard dividers between them, driving down the road. Have you seen the way luggage is handled? No liquor shipping company is treating their merchandise like that.

I don't appreciate having to take extra precautions (packing everything inside my luggage inside plastic) to guard against the very real possibility of someone else's smuggled goods ruining my belongings.

For two: The rules are for all of us, and we all agree to them when we sign the contract. Those that break the rules do affect the rest of us that follow them. Prices are hiked to compensate, the screening process to board is longer and more annoyingly involved for all of us because they are treating us all like smugglers.

For three: I'm an honest person and i don't like dishonesty in others. One who signs their name to a promise (contract) with every intention of breaking that promise is by definition, being dishonest. It devalues their word / their signature and opens their integrity in all areas to doubt.

For four: Smuggling and similar rule-breaking is just one more (small) manifestation of the entitlement, "it's all about me" society, which saddens me.

You asked, and i honestly answered (because honesty is a virtue i respect, value, and strive for) your question, very possibly to my own detriment. I don't like to make enemies and those who smuggle will likely not think well of me for expressing these thoughts.:( but i did 'open my big mouth' in the first place by posting on this thread, so i'll take my lumps.:o

so flame away, y'all. And those smugglers that see me onboard and choose not to speak to me because of my opposite views, i understand.:o:(:o

this +1

You asked, and I honestly answered (because honesty is a virtue I respect, value, and strive for) your question, very possibly to my own detriment. I don't like to make enemies and those who smuggle will likely not think well of me for expressing these thoughts.:(

First off, I think you are entirely entitled to your opinion and I applaud your openness. I hope others will be respectful towards you as well. No worries about my flaming you. I also suspect most who might smuggle won't think ill of you so long as you remain respectful (as you have done).

Just for sake of discussion (hoping this doesn't turn into a flame fest, though I suspect it will), let me address a couple of the points you made. My goal is not to convince, merely to proffer an alternate point of view.

As to breakage, the error would be careless packing more so than smuggling. I suspect you'd be upset if your airline checked luggage were soaked some liquid despite it being completely within the rules of checked baggage.

Just curious though since you mention packing with this possibility in mind - have you ever had your luggage affected by liquids from other luggage?

Two: you're conflating a couple pieces here, people not playing by the rules and the perception of increased costs. We've (CC participants) have been down the costs path before. Nobody's yet been able to quantify any actual cost impact. Mainly because the idea that all smugglers would spend a lot more at the bars if only they didn't smuggle is simplistic and ignores the many alternate possibilities. All we're left with is non-evidentiary and un-quantifiable perceptions.

Three & Four are really more to my question of why it bothers you. You view agreeing to the cruise T&C as a matter of integrity; I'm of the alternate view that a rule with the sole purpose of creating a captive market so as to squeeze more money from passenger is one which has no bearing on honor or integrity. I understand your point of view, I simply don't agree with it.

What I'm more curious about is that it bothers you despite the anonymity. With some exceptions of course, there's no way for you to know who around you aboard the ship is smuggler unless they told you. On CC you're even more removed as you'd likely never even be on the same ship with others here. That seems a pretty dark road to go down, worrying about what people have done while not in your sight? Sitting by the pool how do you know who smuggled, who broke the speed limits on their way to the port, who's lied to their spouse (or even comitted adultery), etc?

Geesh louise...lighten up! Not sure why someones bottle of smuggled rum would interfere with your cruise, safety or fun! To each his own. Its just a cruise and its just a few peeps with some booze! Not a felony....yet!

I know, what a shame. Maybe one day though.

BTW, my name is not Louise and I am lightened up. When I tell you to drop and do 20 pushups every mile of a 5 mile run, then you can ask me to lighten up. :D

It has nothing to do with booze, it has everything to do with following rules/orders/regulations/laws. I've been around long enough to know that one who does everything they can to circumvent one rule, usually does it for all rules they don't like.

First off, I think you are entirely entitled to your opinion and I applaud your openness. I hope others will be respectful towards you as well. No worries about my flaming you. I also suspect most who might smuggle won't think ill of you so long as you remain respectful (as you have done).

Just for sake of discussion (hoping this doesn't turn into a flame fest, though I suspect it will), let me address a couple of the points you made. My goal is not to convince, merely to proffer an alternate point of view.

As to breakage, the error would be careless packing more so than smuggling. I suspect you'd be upset if your airline checked luggage were soaked some liquid despite it being completely within the rules of checked baggage.

Just curious though since you mention packing with this possibility in mind - have you ever had your luggage affected by liquids from other luggage?

Two: you're conflating a couple pieces here, people not playing by the rules and the perception of increased costs. We've (CC participants) have been down the costs path before. Nobody's yet been able to quantify any actual cost impact. Mainly because the idea that all smugglers would spend a lot more at the bars if only they didn't smuggle is simplistic and ignores the many alternate possibilities. All we're left with is non-evidentiary and un-quantifiable perceptions.

Three & Four are really more to my question of why it bothers you. You view agreeing to the cruise T&C as a matter of integrity; I'm of the alternate view that a rule with the sole purpose of creating a captive market so as to squeeze more money from passenger is one which has no bearing on honor or integrity. I understand your point of view, I simply don't agree with it.

What I'm more curious about is that it bothers you despite the anonymity. With some exceptions of course, there's no way for you to know who around you aboard the ship is smuggler unless they told you. On CC you're even more removed as you'd likely never even be on the same ship with others here. That seems a pretty dark road to go down, worrying about what people have done while not in your sight? Sitting by the pool how do you know who smuggled, who broke the speed limits on their way to the port, who's lied to their spouse (or even comitted adultery), etc?

Thank you for your reasonableness and civility. I didn't mean to imply that you would flame me. I just kind of expect it from some number of the posters on this board when putting these thoughts out there. And you have no need to expect flames from me, either. I appreciate mutually respectful discourse.:)

I also appreciate hearing your opposite point of view. I'll break up your points and reply in turn:

(sorry about the length:o)

"As to breakage, the error would be careless packing more so than smuggling. I suspect you'd be upset if your airline checked luggage were soaked some liquid despite it being completely within the rules of checked baggage."

Yes, breakage would most likely be due to a combination of careless packing and the rough handling of luggage. The very slight chance of another reason such as some smuggler's rum runner spontaneously springs a leak having nothing to do with outside forces isn't even worth taking into consideration.

Yes, I'd be upset about my luggage getting soaked in any situation. But soakings caused by someone else's selfishness (as I see it) and/or carelessness would be very upsetting. Careful, considerate packing of one's contraband can go a long way towards decreasing the incidents of breakage. But the fact still remains that if they weren't breaking their word and the rules in the first place, there would be no bottle there to break at all. It's not a no-fault situation - the smuggler would be at fault either way.

"Just curious though since you mention packing with this possibility in mind - have you ever had your luggage affected by liquids from other luggage?"

No, thankfully, I have never (yet) had my luggage damaged by someone's spillage. I have personally seen luggage that was, though. And I believe the reports of others here who say it has happened to them. I take the packing precaution that I do to help lessen my chances of being a victim, just as I lock my home's door, even though my house has never been robbed. It's (the use of plastic bags) the best I can do to protect my belongings. And, knowing the possibility of this kind of damage and being concerned about it, I would consider myself negligent if I didn't do all I could to prevent it.

"Two: you're conflating a couple pieces here, people not playing by the rules and the perception of increased costs. We've (CC participants) have been down the costs path before. Nobody's yet been able to quantify any actual cost impact. Mainly because the idea that all smugglers would spend a lot more at the bars if only they didn't smuggle is simplistic and ignores the many alternate possibilities. All we're left with is non-evidentiary and un-quantifiable perceptions."

I'll concede the increase of costs: you're right, I have no proof of that.

Alcohol expenditure aside however, don't you think there might be a real, quantifiable cost for the extra personnel and said personnel's time spent on screening luggage to the extent that they do, looking for this very common contraband? The alcohol part of the screening adds (from what I can tell) a great deal to the time and trouble spent on the luggage screening, beyond that for safety, etc. There's only one reason they open up people's soda cases and inspect each can, for example.;) And it all adds up to longer lines, slower process, Carnival not getting their customers onboard as fast as they could and thus cutting into the time they could be selling drinks and such, more hassle, more payroll hours for the screeners. And if less crew were required for screening, maybe more could be used elsewhere to enhance the onboard experience. I have no proof of any of this extra cost, though either. It just seems logical that it exists.

"Three & Four are really more to my question of why it bothers you. You view agreeing to the cruise T&C as a matter of integrity; I'm of the alternate view that a rule with the sole purpose of creating a captive market so as to squeeze more money from passenger is one which has no bearing on honor or integrity. I understand your point of view, I simply don't agree with it.

What I'm more curious about is that it bothers you despite the anonymity. With some exceptions of course, there's no way for you to know who around you aboard the ship is smuggler unless they told you. On CC you're even more removed as you'd likely never even be on the same ship with others here. That seems a pretty dark road to go down, worrying about what people have done while not in your sight? Sitting by the pool how do you know who smuggled, who broke the speed limits on their way to the port, who's lied to their spouse (or even comitted adultery), etc?"

I understand why you feel differently and respect that, but the way I see it is: if you don't agree with the terms of a contract, don't sign it. No matter how good the justification for not agreeing, by signing (promising) and then intentionally not abiding by it, one is being dishonest. Anonymity doesn't play into it for me. It doesn't matter if I know who is doing it and who isn't. It's the fact that it is being done at all. It's about the principal to me. It is about integrity to me. I'm not sitting around worrying what wrongs others have done. It's not something I dwell on at all. And knowing if a particular person smuggles or not is not going to change my behavior toward them. I hate the sin, not the sinner (yes, I know smuggling isn't exactly a sin:p; I hope you get my meaning with no offense:o). I enjoy my vacations as well as my life and am a generally positive person (aside from being a bit of a worrywart sometimes:o). And I try not to judge others. I assure you, I'm not even in the neighbourhood of that dark road you suggest, let alone traveling down it. (happy smiley here)

(there were a few more smilies in here, but I'm only allowed 6)

To expand on what Shaky said, you agreed to it. Either abide by it or don't. Carnival hardly has you over a barrel, you don't have to cruise with them or cruise at all. There are plenty of other vacation options all with their pluses and minuses.

Also, Carnival and every other cruise line are businesses. They exist to make money. You are going to pay either way, either with onboard purchases or cruise fare. When they can no longer generate the revenue they feel is appropriate through onboard purchases, then you can expect an equivalent rise in cruise fare or reduction in services.

Personally, I suspect the current level of smuggling really doesn't have a huge impact on their bottom line in lost revenue. It is more the policing, and a certain amount of policing is needed to keep most people honest and in check.

I really don't care for the high price of alcohol at any "closed" event. Cruises, sporting events, fairs, theme parks, etc. I think it is much too high, so I simply generally forgo alcohol at those places. I don't spend my time trying to get around the rules, as they are an important revenue source for the event. Without it, they would simply charge more in other areas. Now that Carnival has their Cheers! package and particularly since they have reduced the pricing for longer voyages I am considering purchasing it.

Here's the thing...I don't think Carnival really cares all that much about smuggled liqour. I think they don't want it out of control bring whatever you want like the old party drunkfest days. But if they were that concerned, I think they would be more vigilant. So,they screen and they catch some of it, thereby making sure people won't try to bring on a suitcase full of beer. This also makes the majority of people not even consider bringing anything other than their two bottles of wine. Tada...they have accomplished their goal of reducing the amount of liquor brought on board.

For me, I don't care either way. Do whatever...I'm buying Cheers and having my fruity blended drinks.;) smuggled rum and Coke isn't going to cut it.

I know, what a shame. Maybe one day though.

BTW, my name is not Louise and I am lightened up. When I tell you to drop and do 20 pushups every mile of a 5 mile run, then you can ask me to lighten up. :D

It has nothing to do with booze, it has everything to do with following rules/orders/regulations/laws. I've been around long enough to know that one who does everything they can to circumvent one rule, usually does it for all rules they don't like.

Yes that is me ..general rule breaker and part time smuggler!!! Its just BOOZE!! Btw..Im a person Carnival loves!! My large bar tabs pay for at least half the fuel for the trip! They make zero money on the random bingo playing, 10 dollar store shopper, and T shirt cruiser!!! Btw...my liquor WILL NEVER SPILL...Two words...RUM RUNNERS!

My husband carried 3 bottles of wine onto the Dream in his backpack, no questions asked. We weren't trying to hide them, there were three of us, I just let him carry them all. I wrapped each in a t-shirt and stood it in the backpack. But, my mom & I got separated from him going through security. When I thought of it later, I asked him if they gave him any trouble about the 3 bottles, and he said they never even acknowledged it was there. His bag came through the screener and he grabbed it & kept going. Meanwhile, mom & I get pulled aside so they can open my sealed case of water & hold the bottles up to the light....

Sail Disney and bring all the booze you want problem solved. No really to each his own. People do dishonest things all the time as long as it's not putting me or anyone else in danger. I will go on my merry way and mind my own business. It stays drama free that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is me ..general rule breaker and part time smuggler!!! Its just BOOZE!! Btw..Im a person Carnival loves!! My large bar tabs pay for at least half the fuel for the trip! They make zero money on the random bingo playing, 10 dollar store shopper, and T shirt cruiser!!! Btw...my liquor WILL NEVER SPILL...Two words...RUM RUNNERS!

Yes, you have made that painfully clear. Again, what a shame. As for it only being booze, that is only in this particular situation. Since you are a self proclaimed general rule breaker, that simply proves my point that is a person knowingly breaks one rule they don't like they will most likely break all rules they don't like. Whether your liquor spills or how much you spend on board is completely immaterial......you are violating the rules you voluntarily agreed to abide by.

My husband carried 3 bottles of wine onto the Dream in his backpack, no questions asked. We weren't trying to hide them, there were three of us, I just let him carry them all. I wrapped each in a t-shirt and stood it in the backpack. But, my mom & I got separated from him going through security. When I thought of it later, I asked him if they gave him any trouble about the 3 bottles, and he said they never even acknowledged it was there. His bag came through the screener and he grabbed it & kept going. Meanwhile, mom & I get pulled aside so they can open my sealed case of water & hold the bottles up to the light....

I was coming back from Coz and had beer bottles in my backpack that I totally forgot about. Heard them "chink" when I laid it down on xray machine. I was like what was that?? By the time I remembered.. backpack with hot bottles of beer through scanner and no one said a word?? Go figure. If I had been trying to sneak it on would have been nailed for sure!