Tea question

Commodore

Here's a photo of the teas that were available on the Silhouette in May 2014. This was a mediterranean cruise, which might matter.

IMG_9311.JPG

I took this photo because I knew someone would ask this question LOL. Hope it helps!

I should add these are the ones that were available in The Hideaway where you make your own coffee/tea on deck 7.

Edited by ariawoman
  • Like 1

Based on the photo that ariawomen posted above, I noticed that some of the bags were labeled Field & Selects and some were labeled First Tea and some had both names on them. I then found this site: http://www.original-firsttea.nl/?pid=28&page=Home

Some time ago, possibly a year or more, after returning from a cruise I tried looking up Field & Selects and recall finding a site indicating it was a commercial food service brand but I could not find that now. Just looking at the photo above and the first site I found its hard to really figure out what this company is about but it's obviously not being targeted as a consumer brand in the USA or UK right now so it looks like it's either just a commercial food service brand or a brand they're starting to transition from a food service brand to a consumer brand.

Based on the photo that ariawomen posted above, I noticed that some of the bags were labeled Field & Selects and some were labeled First Tea and some had both names on them. I then found this site: http://www.original-firsttea.nl/?pid=28&page=Home

Some time ago, possibly a year or more, after returning from a cruise I tried looking up Field & Selects and recall finding a site indicating it was a commercial food service brand but I could not find that now. Just looking at the photo above and the first site I found its hard to really figure out what this company is about but it's obviously not being targeted as a consumer brand in the USA or UK right now so it looks like it's either just a commercial food service brand or a brand they're starting to transition from a food service brand to a consumer brand.

Looks like it is a newly registered Singapore company:

(Hope it is good.)

FIELDS & SELECTS

By: GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD.

Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages

This is a brand page for the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark by GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD. in SINGAPORE, , . Write a review about a product or service associated with this FIELDS & SELECTS trademark. Or, contact the owner GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD. of the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark.

Status Update! On Tuesday, August 5, 2014, status on the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark changed to REGISTERED.

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FIELDS & SELECTS by GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD., SINGAPORE. The USPTO has given the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark serial number of 86123655. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED. The correspondent listed for FIELDS & SELECTS is ANTHEA LEE of 10685B HAZELHURST DR # 9123, HOUSTON, TX 77043-3238, . The FIELDS & SELECTS trademark is filed in the category of Staple Food Products . The description provided to the USPTO for FIELDS & SELECTS is Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages.

Word Mark: FIELDS & SELECTS Status/

Status Date: REGISTERED 8/5/2014

Serial Number: 86123655 Filing Date: 11/20/2013 Registration Number: 4579177 Registration Date: 8/5/2014 Goods and Services: Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages Mark Description: The mark consists of wording "FIELDS & SELECTS" in stylized font. Type Of Mark: TradeMark Published For Opposition Date: 5/20/2014 Last Applicant/Owner: GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD.

SINGAPORE Why is this contact information displayed?

Mark Drawing Code: Drawing with Words in Stylized form Design Search: (NO DATA) Register Type: Principal Disclaimer: ("SELECTS") Correspondent: ANTHEA LEE

10685B HAZELHURST DR # 9123

HOUSTON, TX 77043-3238

Classification Information

International Class Code(s): 030 US Class Code(s): 046 Primary Class: Coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar, rice, tapioca, sago, artificial coffee; flour and preparations made from cereals, bread, pastry and confectionery, ices; honey, treacle; yeast, baking powder; salt, mustard; vinegar, sauces (condiments); spices; ice. Class(es) Status: Active First Use Anywhere: 1/16/2013 First Use In Commerce: 4/2/2013

Trademarkia is the largest search engine for U.S. trademarks. Each month hundreds of trademarks around the world are filed by licensed attorneys in the LegalForce/Trademarkia network! You can register your trademark in 100+ countries in the world through LegalForce Network.

LegalForce Network can help you incorporate a business around your FIELDS & SELECTS trademark in less than 5 minutes. Trademarkia makes the process easy and convenient, so start now!

Trademarkia.com is a free search engine of publicly available government records. Trademarkia.com is not a law firm and does not represent owners & correspondents listed on this page.

Trademark Document Retrieval >>

Here's a photo of the teas that were available on the Silhouette in May 2014. This was a mediterranean cruise, which might matter.

IMG_9311.JPG

I took this photo because I knew someone would ask this question LOL. Hope it helps!

I should add these are the ones that were available in The Hideaway where you make your own coffee/tea on deck 7.

Did you find the water in The Hideaway to be hot and not coffee scented?

Glad to see that I am not the only one who brings a stash of tea on board. :) I find I drink more hot tea on a cruise than when I'm at home.

We've received hot water in a coffee carafe a couple of times when we ordered from room service. The flavor of coffee was definitely there. It was always when we ordered more than 2 cups of tea at breakfast -I'm guessing to save space on the tray.

On Reflection in 2013, it happened, and we happened to be sitting upstairs outside the art studio on a sea day when the HD (Sue from the UK) walked up and was looking over the railing. She said good morning and asked if we were enjoying the cruise. I replied that we were, that it was a beautiful ship. I somewhat jokingly commented that my biggest complaint was receiving coffee scented water for my tea. That stopped her in her tracks and she asked me to elaborate. I said that we had received water via room service in a coffee carafe rather than a tea pot, and that it had a smell of coffee. Her response was that what we received should never happen. For the rest of the cruise, we always receive water in little tea pots.

We have found that we sometimes have to request fresh water in the MDR as well, if the large urns get mixed up and one that held coffee get hot water put into it. When we have a waiter from a location that drinks a lot of tea, it is never a problem. When we are seated in a station where all the waiters are from areas that drink mostly coffee, it is more likely to be a problem. At that point, I just ask for fresh water to be fetched from the kitchen, and request that they ask a colleague from someplace like India sniff the hot water urn. For the remainder of the cruise, it isn't an issue.

This whole post made me smile! :)

I love that the only "complaint" you had on your cruise was that the tea water smelled like coffee! Yes, it is not ideal, but what a fabulously insignificant (in the scheme of things) problem to have on an otherwise great cruise! And I am smiling still because the HD was so concerned and professional and that your "issue" was solved so quickly and permanently!

This is a breath of fresh air on a message board that can be so stuffed with crabby complaints about what others consider minor issues, or complaints that issues both minor and major were not properly addressed on board.

The stars seemed to have aligned perfectly for you!

IMG_9311.JPG

Thanks for the photo -- what bothers me about this brand is that the profiles on the tea bags all look like women, and maybe boys? No men!! My husband will begin to be embarrassed to be seen at tea with me if this sort of thing keeps up! :eek: It seems to be typical in the U.S., at least, that tea, and especially "afternoon tea" is for women and little girls (in princess costumes) only! These tea bags are not helping that situation at all. :mad: Hrumph! (Hopefully, in spite of this, my husband and other husbands will continue to be "man enough" to take afternoon tea!) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo -- what bothers me about this brand is that the profiles on the tea bags all look like women, and maybe boys? No men!! My husband will begin to be embarrassed to be seen at tea with me if this sort of thing keeps up! :eek: It seems to be typical in the U.S., at least, that tea, and especially "afternoon tea" is for women and little girls (in princess costumes) only! These tea bags are not helping that situation at all. :mad: Hrumph! (Hopefully, in spite of this, my husband and other husbands will continue to be "man enough" to take afternoon tea!) :rolleyes:

Perhaps the stereotype of women drinking tea in the USA comes from the controversial history that tea has with America. Afterall Men may have had to explain themselves if they had chosen to consume this Beverage... Due to the Political Statement it made. Women on the other hand had no political powers (not able to vote). She was just a "pretty thing" who obviously knew little about life or politics... So if she Favoured the taste of tea, it was just another follie of her sex :rolleyes:

Oh yes, we've come a long way baby.

But interestingly sometimes we unconsciously bring our old historical thoughts / stereotypes with us

(same reason that today Coffee is the preferred hot Bevvy in America... And although Coffee has caught on extensively in Canada... Tea is still a Bevvy that many here enjoy. It is only in my lifetime that Coffee caught up to Tea in Sales... And a lot of that was because of the availability of Instant Coffee coming out of the USA mid 1900s)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
  • Like 1

Perhaps the stereotype of women drinking tea in the USA comes from the controversial history that tea has with America. Afterall Men may have had to explain themselves if they had chosen to consume this Beverage... Due to the Political Statement it made. Women on the other hand had no political powers (not able to vote). She was just a "pretty thing" who obviously knew little about life or politics... So if she Favoured the taste of tea, it was just another follie of her sex :rolleyes:

Oh yes, we've come a long way baby.

But interestingly sometimes we unconsciously bring our old historical thoughts / stereotypes with us

(same reason that today Coffee is the preferred hot Bevvy in America... And although Coffee has caught on extensively in Canada... Tea is still a Bevvy that many here enjoy. It is only in my lifetime that Coffee caught up to Tea in Sales... And a lot of that was because of the availability of Instant Coffee coming out of the USA mid 1900s)

Cheers!

Interesting historical perspective... (and yes, American culture seems to influence other cultures around the world, for good or for ill...)

I always bring my own tea wherever I go. I guess I am an Uber Tea snob as I only drink loose leaf tea (unless "visiting" so as not to be rude)

I have a tea travel mug that has a tea press so I can steep it.

I bring it with me to the dining room with my tea leaves already measured and ask my server to please fill it with hot water. It always sparks a great conversation as people smell the beautiful aroma of fresh tea leaves being brewd.

It's these simple pleasures that really make a day.

On another Tea note...we will be on our first Celebrity cruise in January. Is afternoon Tea served in the MDR?

• 1 month later...

This company from Singapore made an illegal copy of a Dutch tea brand (original first tea). The former director of Original First Tea is convicted in the Netherlands and started a new company with a Chinese investor.

They say that the tea is organic, but it is not. DON'T DRINK IT and complain about it. I have a friend in China who told me about this. The cruise lines are buying this tea, because it is cheap but they don't test the product or research the company and people behind it.

Looks like it is a newly registered Singapore company:

(Hope it is good.)

FIELDS & SELECTS

By: GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD.

Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages

This is a brand page for the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark by GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD. in SINGAPORE, , . Write a review about a product or service associated with this FIELDS & SELECTS trademark. Or, contact the owner GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD. of the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark.

Status Update! On Tuesday, August 5, 2014, status on the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark changed to REGISTERED.

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FIELDS & SELECTS by GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD., SINGAPORE. The USPTO has given the FIELDS & SELECTS trademark serial number of 86123655. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED. The correspondent listed for FIELDS & SELECTS is ANTHEA LEE of 10685B HAZELHURST DR # 9123, HOUSTON, TX 77043-3238, . The FIELDS & SELECTS trademark is filed in the category of Staple Food Products . The description provided to the USPTO for FIELDS & SELECTS is Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages.

Word Mark: FIELDS & SELECTS Status/

Status Date: REGISTERED 8/5/2014

Serial Number: 86123655 Filing Date: 11/20/2013 Registration Number: 4579177 Registration Date: 8/5/2014 Goods and Services: Coffee; Condiment, namely, oyster sauce; Honey; Ice cream; Iced tea; Pastries; Processed cereals; Sushi; Tea; Tea-based beverages Mark Description: The mark consists of wording "FIELDS & SELECTS" in stylized font. Type Of Mark: TradeMark Published For Opposition Date: 5/20/2014 Last Applicant/Owner: GOURMET INTERNATIONAL GROUP PTE.LTD.

SINGAPORE Why is this contact information displayed?

Mark Drawing Code: Drawing with Words in Stylized form Design Search: (NO DATA) Register Type: Principal Disclaimer: ("SELECTS") Correspondent: ANTHEA LEE

10685B HAZELHURST DR # 9123

HOUSTON, TX 77043-3238

Classification Information

International Class Code(s): 030 US Class Code(s): 046 Primary Class: Coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar, rice, tapioca, sago, artificial coffee; flour and preparations made from cereals, bread, pastry and confectionery, ices; honey, treacle; yeast, baking powder; salt, mustard; vinegar, sauces (condiments); spices; ice. Class(es) Status: Active First Use Anywhere: 1/16/2013 First Use In Commerce: 4/2/2013

Trademarkia is the largest search engine for U.S. trademarks. Each month hundreds of trademarks around the world are filed by licensed attorneys in the LegalForce/Trademarkia network! You can register your trademark in 100+ countries in the world through LegalForce Network.

LegalForce Network can help you incorporate a business around your FIELDS & SELECTS trademark in less than 5 minutes. Trademarkia makes the process easy and convenient, so start now!

Trademarkia.com is a free search engine of publicly available government records. Trademarkia.com is not a law firm and does not represent owners & correspondents listed on this page.

Trademark Document Retrieval >>

Seems a false economy for X to replace the perfectly good Twining's tea bags with tea bags of such poor quality that 2 bags are required to even taste the tea!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's the answer to bad / cheap tea bags. Use more to get same flavour. Personally if they did a Boston with Earl Grey it would be fine with me.

Ive only been one Celebrity cruise, but one of the highlights of our trip was Café al Bacio. We were on the Millenium and the staff was just wonderful. I started my days with a chai tea latte on my balcony. And would stop for my earl grey in the afternoon and in the evening. Towards the end of the cruise I caught a cold, and tea with honey and lemon was a "life saver" when I felt achey and grumpy.

And all those yummy free treats to try. It may sound silly to some to say that coffee and tea are a highlight, but I expect great ports and food, that's why we booked the ship. But Café al Bacio was an unexpected treat. And something were looking forward to our next cruise.

I am not a tea drinker but my husband really liked the green tea they used to carry. I think the brand was called divi mahti or something similar. I tried to get it a few years ago when they first started carrying it butler never got my e mails answered. It was a company out of the Netherlands,

The first Celebrity cruise that I sailed where Fields and Selects replaced the previous tea supplier was on the Century in February 2014. Although I tend to be a coffee drinker, I was brought up on tea, and the Fields and Selects English Breakfast tea was the worst tea I had ever had. No matter how long you steeped the tea, you couldn't get any flavour. I tend to like my tea light (first pour from the pot) as I take it clear, so it's not as if I like a strong cup of tea. However, everyone at my table of 8 at the Elite Elegant Tea was complaining about how weak and tasteless the tea was.

On the Silhouette in October 2014, the tea was still Fields and Selects, but when I had it a couple of times (including the Elite Elegant Tea), the English Breakfast tea wasn't quite as flavourless, but I would definitely call it insipid. You could at least get a bit of colour from one tea bag, which was an improvement over February.

Different people have different priorities, naturally, but I am very familiar with people who obsess over their tea. My Scottish father never complained about anything, and asked for very little, but a decent cup of tea was his one priority in the area of food and beverage.

I do not understand Celebrity's reasoning. They push the "modern luxury" idea while continuing to cut corners at every turn as their profits rise. Cheap tea bags are not modern luxury. Perhaps modern luxury only applies with extra charges.

I am a southern girl and like iced tea....not fruit flavored, not with lemon just good strong iced tea. Preferably sweetened but have been on enough cruises to know not to expect my beloved sweet tea!! But, is the iced tea in the MDR and buffets drinkable? Sometimes I just make my own. I use as many teabags as needed to to make it strong, dump huge amount of sugar in the steaming tea , making 2 or three cups as a time. I pour it into my huge travel mug then take it back to the cabin to put in the mini-fridge. I fill my smaller travel mug with ice and pour the tea over it.

Edited by fhmoore

....is the iced tea in the MDR and buffets drinkable?...

I think the iced tea on the ship is definitely drinkable. It's not the best iced tea I've had but just fine and similar to the iced tea you'll get at a fast food place or other places that make it from a concentrated syrup mix. It comes out of a fountain type dispenser just like the juice, lemonade, or fruit punch made from a concentrate syrup.

If you want something better then go to the buffet and make a strong cup of tea with a tea bag and then pour it into a glass filled with ice. Or request a cup of tea and a large cup filled with ice in the dining room.

If you want a really great cup of iced tea that is even better it is available at Café al Bacio (the coffee bar) but will cost around $4 or $5. They have a special brewing system for making iced tea there with their nice organic teas.

Edited by Lsimon