Fort Lauderdale restaurant - Friday night

cawhite

Hi everyone,

We'll be flying into Ft. Lauderdale next Friday afternoon, leaving on our cruise the following day. We'll be staying at the Hyatt Pier 66.

We'll probably not rent a car, but would like a good restaurant with a nice atmosphere to go to with the family on Friday night (kids are 14 and 10). Maybe we can go to a restaurant via the Water Taxi? I think I heard the Water Taxi stops at the Las Olas Blvd. area?

My husband likes steak, prime rib, and seafood, and the rest of us just like a nice variety. Any recommendations? Maybe some place slightly tropical that has food the kids will enjoy too, and a nice ocean view?

I'd like to make a reservation this weekend, for next weekend.

Thanks!!

Carole

Hi Carole:)

First, most of the places do not take reservations.

Next, you are correct about the water taxi. It stops at all different places, Las Olas Blvd included. There are many, many choices along the Blvd. You can have a look at what they all offer as 90% of them have menus posted outside their establishments. The cuisine varies from steaks to crepes to seafood.....and lots of things in between including burgers and fries.

If you prefer to stay on 17th Street a cab ride will take you over the bridge and there is an Outback as well. Also a wonderful Italian place called BRAVO. I have eaten there 3 times and have always enjoyed it.

In addition on the water taxi route is 15th Street Fisheries and Shirttail Charlies. I have not eaten at either place but 15th is always popular with cruisers.

But again, to my knowlegde most of the restaurants don't take reservations.

(They are so busy all the time they don't need to)

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Thanks Lois R and LibertyCruiser for the info.!! Glad to know we don't need to worry about reservations... sounds like we may have a wait for dinner, however. That's OK... I'm sure the priority of our kids will be the Hyatt pool, not eating, anyway!

For those of you who have been to Duke's on Waikiki Beach... is there a similar type of restaurant in / near Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks.

I can't think of anything quite like Dukes, but there is a Chucks (the restaurant directly above Dukes in Waikiki). The Chucks in Fort Lauderdale isn't on the water though, it's on SE 17th Street.

Thanks TrentS. That's funny.... I know the Hula Grill that is right above Dukes, but I forgot about Chucks... we've not eater there. I know DH would love to eat at Chuck's in Ft. Lauderdale (he's a high protein / low carb kind of guy), but I'm still going to look around for a place with a view.

Also, I did go to the websites of the Fifteenth Street Fisheries and Shirttail Charlies... those places do look like good places to go.

Any other suggestions?

Carole, if you want "strictly steaks" you could always go to Shula's. There is one located near the Hyatt in FLL along the beach. It is not inexpensive though and I believe the menu is "Ala Carte" for everything.

It is quite well known though and supposed to have excellent beef.

Here is the link:

www.donshula.com/onthebeach/ftlauderdale

Shula's on the Beach is very good. It's located in the Sheraton Yankee Trader and has a great view of the beach.

If your husband loves steaks you may want to go to Jackson's. It's in downtown Fort Lauderdale, on Las Olas Blvd., and is one of the 10 best steakhouses in the country... http://www.jacksonssteakhouse.com/

Oh my gosh... l just looked at the menus for both Shula's and Jackson's Steakhouse. My husband would think he's died and gone to heaven at either of these places... he loves steak AND seafood! Shula's looks like the *by the beach* ambience that I like. I looked at Bimini's Boatyard too which looked good at first glance, with a nice marina location. But then I saw several reviews that weren't too hot (maybe it's changed?).

I did see one Polynesian restaurant (tiki torches, hula show, etc.) called the Mai-Kai. Anyone familiar with this restaurant? Is it good, or tacky? Maybe my kids would enjoy it? Can we take the water taxi and walk to that location?

Oh, also... my DH is originally from Lousisiana so he also enjoys cuisine with a Cajun or New Orleans flair, if there are any possibilities on that front.

Thanks everyone!!

Mai-Kai is very tacky IMO. It's a tourist trap, I think I'd pass on that one. The food is very overpriced for what you get. I liked it when I was about 8 years old, but that was a long time ago! ;)

I was not impressed with Bimini Boatyard either. If you want something on the water that serves great steak & seafood go with Shula's on the Beach. The part with the view is actually open air and across the street from the beach, but it's a few steps up and there is a great view of the water. There's nothing directly ON the beach in that area, or in most of Fort Lauderdale Beach.

If you want a really great old fashioned steakhouse go for Jackson's. It's expensive but well worth it!

Oh, you mentioned Cajun... I'm really more into steak, Italian, & NY deli myself, so I'm not a lot of help with other cuisines other than some of the seafood places. The only Cajun type place I can think of is a place in Beach Place called Lulu's Bait Shack... http://www.lulusbaitshack.com/

It's on the 2nd floor with a great ocean view, but personally I've never eaten there so I can't comment on the food. It's a very casual, loud, Hooter's type of place though, and no comparison to Shula's or Jackson's.

Carole,:) I know Shula's has been in business for more than 20 years. Not sure how long Jackson's has been around.

I lived in Miami back in 1987 and the Original Shula's was already there (in an area west of FLL called Miami Lakes).

Trent, last time I sailed out of FLL I was going to do Shula's but changed my mind:eek: now I want to try it!!! NEXT TIME for sure:D

Charlie's Crab has wonderful seafood - probably even some cajun style - and it's on the water. You can sit indoors or out.

they probably don't have steak though, so if DH is set for that, I'd skip Charlies Crab.

Jane

Hi Jane:D

Trent, next time I am putting Shula's on my dinner agenda;). Not sure if you are attached, married, whatever....but ya'll are more than welcome to join me.:)

I will be sailing out of FLL in Dec 2006 (I know its far away:eek: ). Who knows, maybe I will find something out of there sooner.....but that one already has a deposit down.

Mai-Kai is definitely a tourist trap.

And Bimini Boatyard has gone downhill, in my opinion. Last time I was there I didn't like the food or the service.

I'd vote for Shula's.

Actually, I'd got o Blue Moon Fish Co. in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, or Cafe Aruba in the same town.

But they aren't on the water taxi route. :(

Boy, Oceanwench... the Blue Moon Fish Company and the Aruba Cafe BOTH sound great too... Hubby loves seafood just as much as he loves his rib eyes and prime rib. How long of a cab ride is it from the Hyatt Pier 66 to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? Are these restaurants both "kid friendly" places?

I found a Blue Moon menu but couldn't find one for the Aruba Cafe (although I did find some reviews). The Blue Moon has Oysters on the Half Shell... hubby could eat those all night long! And August is an OK month for oysters (no "r" in August)... is that still the rule?

So now we have at least 3 places to choose from... Jackson's, Shula's, and Blue Moon. I'm leaning toward Shula's because of the location... but will continue to do a little more research.

Thanks everyone, for your great help. We will be having our 20th anniversary during the trip, so I'd like it to be special.

It would be roughly a 20 minute drive from Hyatt Pier 66 up to Blue Moon. Blue Moon is at Commercial Blvd. & the Intracoastal, and unfortunately the Water Taxi only goes as far north as Oakland Park Blvd., the next major street/bridge to the south, but way too far to walk from there.

We are staying at the Lago Mar, off 17th St. We won't have a car, so we will be dependant on a cab. We will be all "steaked out" on the ship, any suggestion for ribs on 17th St?

Did you say ribs......Tom Jenkins on Federal Highway, the best, it's seven blocks north of 17th Street. Take a cab....well worth the wait. ;)

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/sfl-sh31bdineoct31,0,3318166.story

Art, We never did meet up on Galaxy last fall, but I'll chime in anyway. Tom Jenkins is good, but it's a rib shack, not what I think you are looking for at dinnertime. It's order at the counter and paper plates. I know there used to be a Tony Roma's on 17th, but not sure if it's still there.

If you want a little bit of Key West, try one of my favorites, ERNIE'S BARBEQUE at 1843 S. Federal Highway. Its just a block south of 17th on Route 1 towards the Airport. Spicy Conch chowder with thick slices of Bimini Bread are their specialty. The pork bbq is good, the sauce even better. Burgers, fries, good Key Lime Pie and lots of Ice cold beer or any other beverage.

Archived