Deck 8 family oceanview on Independence or similar

moesyk4

Any pics or video? I've heard it's got a separate bedroom? Would you choose this or connecting insides? I know you get an extra bathroom but you lose the windows...it would be about 300 more for the connecting insides.

I'm booked in 8200 on Freedom in April....huge room compared to most FOV...but it is at the front of the ship, so if mobility is an issue you may want to take this into consideration. We paid about $3000 for 5 people with the "Kids Sail Free" sale...and it would've been only $93.15 for a 6th person (taxes/port charges). Here is a video on 8200 on Indy. I heard that 8200 is bigger, but only has a curtain on the 'master bedroom' and bunkrooms, where 8500 (next door) has a smaller living room, but actual doors on those 2 rooms. Good Luck!

8200 on Indy:

8500 on Liberty:

Here is a good thread that may answer some of your questions too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088943

I'm booked in 8200 on Freedom in April....huge room compared to most FOV...but it is at the front of the ship, so if mobility is an issue you may want to take this into consideration. We paid about $3000 for 5 people with the "Kids Sail Free" sale...and it would've been only $93.15 for a 6th person (taxes/port charges). Here is a video on 8200 on Indy. I heard that 8200 is bigger, but only has a curtain on the 'master bedroom' and bunkrooms, where 8500 (next door) has a smaller living room, but actual doors on those 2 rooms. Good Luck!

8200 on Indy:

8500 on Liberty:

Here is a good thread that may answer some of your questions too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088943

Was there only one bathroom in 8200? This room would be great for DD, SIL and their triplet boys (now 2 1/2) when they sail in a few years. Wonder if SIL would have problems with the motion though.

Thanks so much! It took me about an hour but I finally found the right keyword to pull up that video of 8200...it will be perfect. We needed room in the bunkbed room for a pack n play.

Sorry the video link didn't work!!

I can't say about the walking, I don't sail until April, so I have no idea how much different it will be from being in the middle of the ship. All I know is that I may indulge in that extra dessert (or 2!) since I will have plenty of time to walk it off! :D I figure for the kids (at least the 6 year old), walk outside on the promenade deck and let them run the length of it...they will sleep well!!

There is only 1 bathroom in both 8200 and 8500.

This part of the ship gets a lot of motion even from calm seas (from what I've read). Some people (including myself) enjoy being rocked to sleep...others...not so much.

I've heard the couch/sofa is quite large and pretty comfy too and the bunks are long and perfectly fine for adults as well as kids.

These rooms are pretty coveted, so they are snatched up quickly. Just an FYI!

Enjoy!

Edited by Maybaybie10

Thanks so much! It took me about an hour but I finally found the right keyword to pull up that video of 8200...it will be perfect. We needed room in the bunkbed room for a pack n play.

A pack-n-play in the bunkbed room...it's possible it won't fit in that area with the extra bed...We found this much to our surprise to be the case on ROS this past May in FOV (#8500)...It was a "huge" ordeal to have the bed removed..and it took many phone calls, a visit from the deck supervisor, and finally a visit from the Executive Housekeeper...not something they wanted to do at "all" but we persevered and were accommodated.

Just a bit of info...I had been able to upgrade to this FOV for my DD, DSIL and 17 month old grandson when it became available a few months prior to our cruise..moving them from an OV to the FOV..a great upgrade for basically very little...Pays to watch if or when these cabins haven't been booked and their offered online for less than the usual required occupancy.

Edited by Ashland

A pack-n-play in the bunkbed room...it's possible it won't fit in that area with the extra bed...We found this much to our surprise to be the case on ROS this past May in FOV (#8500)...It was a "huge" ordeal to have the bed removed..and it took many phone calls, a visit from the deck supervisor, and finally a visit from the Executive Housekeeper...not something they wanted to do at "all" but we persevered and were accommodated.

There is an 'extra bed' in the bunkbed room? You mean like a roll-away bed or something similiar? I wonder why, since the room says it will only sleep 6 (2 in master, 2 in bunks, 2 on sofa). So does this mean it technically sleeps 7?

Also, 8200 has a bigger living room than 8500, so it's possible a pack and play may fit there too, but I think 8200's bunkroom looks larger too when looking at the video.

Peewee....thanks for the awesome pictures!!

Edited by Maybaybie10

There is an 'extra bed' in the bunkbed room? You mean like a roll-away bed or something similiar? I wonder why, since the room says it will only sleep 6 (2 in master, 2 in bunks, 2 on sofa). So does this mean it technically sleeps 7?

Also, 8200 has a bigger living room than 8500, so it's possible a pack and play may fit there too, but I think 8200's bunkroom looks larger too when looking at the video.

We had this cabin on Explorer in 2012. I don't recall an extra bed in the bunk room, but there was a low counter/shelf under the window in there. That would certainly block any room for a pack-n-play.

The pack-n-play may fit in the "second" living room section opposite the bathroom. It would not interfere with an opened sofa bed here, but would still have some privacy from the parents with the door to the master bedroom. If I recall correctly, I think there is even a curtain that can be pulled to split the living room area.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures to share.

You would easy get a pack and play in the living room. And to be honest that's where you might want it. It does feel a long way from master bedroom to bunk room. Also no power outlets anywhere except the main bedroom. You can also quite easily move the chairs around in the living area to suit

You would easy get a pack and play in the living room. And to be honest that's where you might want it. It does feel a long way from master bedroom to bunk room. Also no power outlets anywhere except the main bedroom. You can also quite easily move the chairs around in the living area to suit

At least in 8500 on the Explorer, there were outlets in the bunkroom. My boys kept their DS's plugged in there. They were behind the bunks.

At least in 8500 on the Explorer, there were outlets in the bunkroom. My boys kept their DS's plugged in there. They were behind the bunks.

Defo none in 8200. I just went and checked in case is was me being blind!

Sorry, my son just corrected my memory. He said that he and his brothers were charging their systems in the main bedroom. I apologize for any confusion.

Sorry for any confusion the "extra" bed was actually the twin size bed that was in the extra cabin (sleeping) area...there wasn't the bunk bed set up as pictured in this thread (those seemed to be one unit metal construction) the upper bunk bed in our cabin was a pulldown pullman from the ceiling..so the bottom bed was all that was in there and it was a very light metal frame bed that was light and easily moved since it wasn't attached to the floor.

If this bed hadn't been removed for us we wouldn't have been able to use the extra sleeping area...and this was the point in booking this FOV to have a separate sleeping area for our grandchild.

Sorry for any confusion the "extra" bed was actually the twin size bed that was in the extra cabin (sleeping) area...there wasn't the bunk bed set up as pictured in this thread (those seemed to be one unit metal construction) the upper bunk bed in our cabin was a pulldown pullman from the ceiling..so the bottom bed was all that was in there and it was a very light metal frame bed that was light and easily moved since it wasn't attached to the floor.

If this bed hadn't been removed for us we wouldn't have been able to use the extra sleeping area...and this was the point in booking this FOV to have a separate sleeping area for our grandchild.

So with the extra bed, could 3 kids sleep in the bunk room? We have triplet grandsons who would like the bunk room when they get big enough for one of them to sleep in the upper bunk (though they would fight over who was in the upper bunk).

No..1 set of bunk beds in bunk room. No room for another! Not even a pack and play. Living area has sofa bed and 2 chairs with enough room albeit a squeeze for a pack and play. Main bedroom large bed spacious enough but no room for anything else

So with the extra bed, could 3 kids sleep in the bunk room? We have triplet grandsons who would like the bunk room when they get big enough for one of them to sleep in the upper bunk (though they would fight over who was in the upper bunk).

Depending on their sizes, they could fit with sharing of bunks. My boys were 12, 11 and 7 when we cruised. The 7 and 11 year olds shared the lower bunk, while the 13 year took the upper bunk. He didn't want to sleep on the sofa bed.

Correct only one set of bunkbeds...but in our case it was one lower bed and a pull down pullman above it...the separate curtained off sleeping area in our FOV was narrow and you couldn't fit the pack-n-play in there without removing the bottom bed...and that was the problem for us and what created such an ordeal when we asked for it to be removed to make room for the pack-n-play.

Just a bit of info...I had been able to upgrade to this FOV for my DD, DSIL and 17 month old grandson when it became available a few months prior to our cruise..moving them from an OV to the FOV..a great upgrade for basically very little...Pays to watch if or when these cabins haven't been booked and their offered online for less than the usual required occupancy.

You were able to see these offered online?

They are already booked for my upcoming cruise, but can't be checked online anyway since only rooms "up to four" are offered to be seen, and it's ludicrous to have to call every day to check availability.

You were able to see these offered online?

They are already booked for my upcoming cruise, but can't be checked online anyway since only rooms "up to four" are offered to be seen, and it's ludicrous to have to call every day to check availability.

Yes...I was...Not unusual for them to be offered online (RCI) at a point in time if they haven't been booked and also offered to less than the usual number of required occupancy...I was able to book it for 3 passengers where normally you must have at least 5, I could have even booked it for 2..same goes for a 2 bedroom suite if they haven't been booked. Pays to keep checking this online...I wouldn't bother with phone calls.

Yes...I was...Not unusual for them to be offered online (RCI) at a point in time if they haven't been booked and also offered to less than the usual number of required occupancy...I was able to book it for 3 passengers where normally you must have at least 5, I could have even booked it for 2..same goes for a 2 bedroom suite if they haven't been booked. Pays to keep checking this online...I wouldn't bother with phone calls.

When they do release them for viewing online, how do you search for them? Do you put in 5 people and they come up, or do you put in 2 or 3 people and then search by specific room?

Thanks!