Confused about Eze

Alberta Quilter

We were on a Med cruise in 2013 and took a private tour from Monte Carlo. After visiting the Perfumerie Fragonard, our guide pointed up to Eze and said that to see Eze, we would need to climb a path. No cars were allowed or able to get up there. No one wanted to walk up because of various medical conditions in the group.

We are planning to do a France river cruise in 2015, with a post cruise stay in Nice. In doing some preliminary research for the post cruise stay, I've come across advice here on how to get to Eze via bus, taxi, etc. You may now be able to understand my confusion.

Are there two places called Eze, like one lower down by the sea, and the village high up top that is only accessible by foot?

There is no way that my DM can climb up a steep path so I'm wondering if we can do something in the lower Eze, if there is such a place. I've tried the Eze tourist site but that wasn't much help, or else I'm looking in the wrong spots. Finally, I thought the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked so I'm asking here on CC.

Thank you for your help.

There are two villages:

Eze Village along the Moyenne (Middle) Corniche road. This is the same iconic medieval village you were at. You can get to it by various means, but they only get you to the same spot you were at before. If you want to see the village, you still have to walk up the same path you saw, up from the perfume factory. The path is paved and it winds around the village. You can go up the initial incline and then stay fairly level for a little bit around the Chevre d'Or hotel and on to the church. You probably will not be able to keep climbing to the gardens. You should be able to find videos in youtube to give you an idea of the walk.

The other village is Eze-sur-Mer on the Basse (Lower) Corniche road at sea level. There are beaches, some hotels and a few mansions. Don't bother going there for sightseeing. All you can do there is go swimming.

Pick a different place for your sightseeing. Antibes is sea level and good for walking. You could also go to the Villa Ephrussi de Rotschild in Cap Ferrat. St Paul de Vence in not as steep as Eze and neither is Vence. Of course, Nice is also flat.

Edited by marazul

Thank you, marazul! Good to know that Eze sur Mer is not great for sightseeing.

We were in St Paul de Vence on the same tour I mentioned before. We didn't have a lot of time there so we may go back. Will also check into Antibes and Cap Ferrat.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I am a bit puzzled. We have probably been to Eze a dozen times (when on cruises and also when we are just doing lengthy driving trips in Europe) and the walk is really not too bad. The parking lot is right in front (adjacent to the main entrance) and you just stroll through the streets (yes, they do go up and down), browse the shops and galleries, stop for a drink, etc. Like many decent places around the world there are no vehicles (other then a few that belong to those that live and work in the town) permitted which makes it perfect. The streets are old and narrow and are best suited to pedestrians. It is similar at St Paul de Vence (we like this village much more then Eze) where the only way to enjoy the place is on your feet. Neither of these towns is well suited to those with severe mobility problems...although it is certainly possible to use a wheelchair or scooter in the streets of St Paul de Vence (not a good idea to do this in Eze) those devices would really limit the ability of a person to go inside any of the shops, galleries, or restaurants.

Hank

Hi Hank,

apparently, the OP was at that parking lot last year. She saw the incline to the entrance to the village (remember, it goes up and doubles back a little bit) and decided they couldn't handle it. Nothing has changed to that entrance. When she read about taxis and buses to the village she misunderstood and thought they could now drive into the historic area. Apparently, her mother does have serious mobility problems.

Perhaps the OP can remember if they were at that parking lot right off the main road with the souvenir shops and cafes near the entrance to Fragonard. If they were much below that and the guide pointed up at the village, they might want to take a second look - if they have the time.

Still, I think returning to St Paul and then going to Antibes would be better options for their mobility problems.

Thanks Hank and marazul. DM does not use a scooter or wheelchair but finds it very difficult to go up/down inclines. She will be almost 80 when we travel to France.

We were at the parking lot at Fragonard (no shops/cafes) when the guide pointed out the village at the top and told us we would have to walk up. As there were others in our group that had other medical issues, we chose not go to Eze. I didn't actually see the pathway. But as the village looked quite high up, I thought it would be a very steep pathway. IIRC, the parking lot at Fragonard is below the road (Corniche?) so the height of the village may have looked worse than it actually is.

In thinking more about our post cruise stay, we will likely only have two full days in Nice (three nights). I think we'll spend one day in Nice for sure, and then the other day in the vicinity (like St Paul de Vence/Cap Ferrat/Antibes).

Methinks the guide didn't want to go to Eze . . . He should at least have driven you to the parking lot and let you look at the path. It isn't that far to get to the village and then you can walk around a little bit. No need to go all the way to the top gardens. But you have a good plan for your days in Nice.

Methinks the guide didn't want to go to Eze . . . He should at least have driven you to the parking lot and let you look at the path. It isn't that far to get to the village and then you can walk around a little bit. No need to go all the way to the top gardens. But you have a good plan for your days in Nice.

No, I don't think that the guide didn't want to take us; I don't want to give anyone that impression. He did leave it up to us. I did walk into the conversation so may have missed some details of the discussion. But with my mother not being able to do hills, some being overweight/out of shape and one in the group having a recent procedure for a heart condition, it was thought best to pass on the walk to the village. Besides, it allowed for more time in St. Paul de Vence.

Thanks again for your advice.