Formal night with a mentally handicapped person who will not wear formal clothing?

Vexorg

I say don't worry about and let him wear what he wants. If Princess personnel don't think he's dressed appropriately, then you can explain the situation. If they don't allow him in, then you can eat elsewhere. There are a lot of options. Don't get stressed about it. Have a good time.

Me and some friends are going on an Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks, and one of the people who will be traveling with us has a mental handicap (I don't know all the details for sure, but based on what has been described to me it sounds like he is a high-functioning autistic.) One of the aspects that comes with this is that he is very particular about what clothing he wears, and I have been told that is very unlikely that we will be able to get him to wear any sort of formal attire, which means that formal night is going to be a problem. My concern is that he is going to try to go to the dining room on formal night while not properly dressed for it, and there are going to be problems when they don't let him in.

Given these circumstances, what would you recommend? Personally, I think it would be a good night to do a specialty restaurant but most of the party doesn't like the cuisine offered, and that gets expensive for a party of 6. My thinking is that we may have to explain the situation to the Maitre'D in advance and see how they would handle it.

Just go to the buffet on those nights. Most of the same food is up there (no lobster). If you do go to the dining room and he's wearing jeans and a t-shirt or something like that, some folks will be offended and glare. That may or may not bother you...that being said even a dress shirt and slacks with dark sneakers are ok for Alaska, which is not super formal. No one will really blink if he will wear that.

Or do specialty dining as you mentioned. Surely one of the restaurants will please all of you?

Go to the MDR and do not worry about what other people think or do. It is their problem not yours. Anyone telling you otherwise is showing a large lack of understanding. I hope both of you enjoy your meal in the MDR every night.