Formal night with a mentally handicapped person who will not wear formal clothing?

Vexorg

It does not matter at all what he wears (particularly if he is with a group of appropriately dressed people). On Crown just a couple of weeks ago, we were going to the buffet on formal night, but only one side was open and the line was HUGE. I was wearing my Alaska sweatshirt and beige slacks. Since they refused to open the other side, and the line was unmanageable, we went straight to the formal night main dining room dressed in the sweatshirts. No one said a thing. And incidentally, the ships are often so cold on the Alaska cruises (Crown sure was) that some people always wore outdoor jackets into dinner in the main dining room.

Am currently on board the grand in Alaska and not only are people not dressing formally, they're hardly dressing up at all, period. It is a very relaxed cruise dress wise, very casual

Indeed. I regret that i brought dress clothes at all

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Am currently on board the grand in Alaska and not only are people not dressing formally, they're hardly dressing up at all, period. It is a very relaxed cruise dress wise, very casual

Its too bad that you would let others dictate your desires.

I imagine you brought your dress clothes to wear?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

That often happens when people realize that they'll have to pay extra for another suitcase since they no doubt have heaver clothing in Alaska.

Being the other half of 5:00 Somewhere, we did have the advantage of traditional seating. They waiters and head waiters knew of our nephew early on in the cruising experience and so him showing up on formal night dressed "down" was not an issue at all.

They were absolutely wonderful the entire cruise and helped him with his very restricted dietary and attention issues. (French fries were waiting on the table when we sat down!)

I would say something early on in the cruise if you are doing Anytime. It just gives the staff a heads up and then there isn't any issue when you all show up. I've always held the belief that service people (including myself) don't like surprises. If they know about it ahead of time, they can be more prepared and be better able to handle anything.

I would hope that there will not be a problem with this individual.

However, the person on this thread who does want to dress appropriately on formal night and feels that black jeans and a shirt (I assume a t-shirt) should be exiled to the hot dog stand in the pool area. He knew the dress rules when he booked the cruise and just feels that they do not apply to him.

DON

I think everyone knows my feelings about 'formal nights', slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Take the young fellow on the night, and if anyone challenges you about not being dressed in formal clothing, mention it here, on this Cruise Critic Board, and lets us know which company/ship you sailed on, so we can all give that company the big flick.

I have a higher functioning son who is disabled. You can call ahead etc. But usually the message gets lost. What I do when I feel there is a need for some explaining..... I go up to the person in charge and quietly let them know whats going on. No matter where we go most are very helpful. IE security before a flight...he doesnt like anyone touching him....neither do I:) lol. This way no one goes up to him and rattles or embarrasses him. Its wonderful that your friend will get to have a great time!! I know my Nate would be elated!!

I would hope that there will not be a problem with this individual.

However, the person on this thread who does want to dress appropriately on formal night and feels that black jeans and a shirt (I assume a t-shirt) should be exiled to the hot dog stand in the pool area. He knew the dress rules when he booked the cruise and just feels that they do not apply to him.

DON

Now why would you imply that. :confused: No one said a T shirt but simply casual dress which work very in his situation.

Now why would you imply that. :confused: No one said a T shirt but simply casual dress which work very in his situation.

I was being facetious.

My point was that there is a definition of formal dress and it is not black jeans and a sport shirt. As long as ships insist on having formal nights, you should dress appropriately or eat in the lido. There are lines that have dropped formal nights. This is an alternative for people who refuse to dress appropriately and if people voted w their feet, the rest of the lines would also drop formal nights.

DON

My son is Autistic (20 years old now) and does tolerate wearing `layers of clothing`

Aside from that, your son should wear whatever he wants to wear, including his favourite clothing choices (pyjamas, cutoff sleeves, etc.)

The bottom line is that people need to realize that special needs is a term for a reason. People who recognize that special needs is acceptable, don`t or won`t even raise an eyebrow.

The fact that formal night is a function for those that care to dress up, will not and should not diminish the enjoyment shared by others that choose not to dress up.

Enjoy your cruise and `be yourself`

Cheers!

Tom .............

I just want to pass this info on. It is about RCCL. Please don't take it like I am telling anyone to go to another cruise line. I just would like people to know about this wonderful program. I hope it might be of some help to families/people.

Royal Caribbean International has been named by Autism on the SeasTM as the first certified Autism Friendly Cruise Line

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/product.do?pagename=onboard_prod_autism_friendly_ships

I just want to pass this info on. It is about RCCL. Please don't take it like I am telling anyone to go to another cruise line. I just would like people to know about this wonderful program. I hope it might be of some help to families/people.

Royal Caribbean International has been named by Autism on the SeasTM as the first certified Autism Friendly Cruise Line

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/product.do?pagename=onboard_prod_autism_friendly_ships

Think this was posted a couple of weeks ago. ;)

<soapbox>

Special needs takes priority over dress code.

Period. End of story.

I've seen way too many people with special needs treated like second class citizens because others feel that what they are doing or wearing isn't good enough. If the person with special needs isn't at your table, it doesn't affect you. If they are at your table, and they aren't part of your group, ask to be moved. Everyone will be much happier as a result.

If they want to eat at the buffet, that's fine, but I will not kick them out of the dining room just because their clothing tolerances don't meet others expectations

</soapbox>

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Think this was posted a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Yes I did post it a couple of weeks ago. But new posters on this thread may not know the info. Not every one reads every thread ,so I reposted the info.

PS

I wish I had you good memory !

Personally I'd have a quick chat with the Maitre'd to avoid any issues that might upset your companion, [such as being asked about his dress] but other than that go for it and enjoy, or make that the night you do something dfferent room service, buffet alternate restaurant pool side grill, which s/he might enjoy as a change.

Looks like the issues are not created by the ship's company but by passengers who feel they have a say so as to what others can do. And that is usually what creates problems. It is the ships personnel who must enforce or not enforce the GUIDELINES and not the passengers.

Looks like the issues are not created by the ship's company but by passengers who feel they have a say so as to what others can do. And that is usually what creates problems. It is the ships personnel who must enforce or not enforce the GUIDELINES and not the passengers.

I won't comment on the passenger part, but I will say that, in our experience, the ship's personnel were all wonderfully professional, friendly, helpful and accommodating from beginning to end.