Final Impression of Star Princess

EdmPair

My TA asked how my trip went and I am writing a short book. The trip to Alaska

from SF was mostly good. However, after writing this paragraph, I realized it was

a good item to toss here. Princess was downright rude in how they advertised

at the point they could not even sell us that product any more.

Perhaps the last impression on the ship was not what Princess wanted.

For disembarkation, they placed us in the theatre and played a short loop

advertising various services mostly for photography. This repeated about

every 45 seconds as reasonable volume. The announcement for a group was

done over microphone OVER the sound of this advert. I complained they

could at least turn down the loop when speaking and was told I must do

public speaking. Nothing changed.

Later,

M

Because they showed you ads the last

day that you couldn't buy? The TV repeated

everything too..the last day. (really everyday)

They told you about these "things" in

your 11 days cruising..you could of

bought the "things" then if you really

wanted then.

All cruise ships do this..it's part of the cruise life!

The first (not as much) and the last day are the

worst day of the cruises. Just have to go with the

flow!

I hope you enjoyed the other days of the cruise!

Playing a looped video isn't the worst thing while waiting, at least it is something to distract you from the trauma of disembarkation. Maybe....?

The poster was not complaining about the video being played over and over and..... The comment was that the sound was not muted when the announcements for disembarkation were being made.

The announcement for a group was

done over microphone OVER the sound of this advert. I complained they

could at least turn down the loop when speaking and was told I must do

public speaking. Nothing changed.

Later,

M

For a lot of passengers, disembarkation morning is stressful and sad, and it may only take a minor issue like this to push their buttons. Unfortunately, they then leave the ship with this bad feeling as their final impression of their cruise. I'm glad that the OP posted about it here, because if enough of us reply in a friendly and polite way and say things like "Hmm, I don't think this would have bothered me very much at all", they might be encouraged to think about whether the good things from the rest of the cruise might not outweigh this one relatively small complaint from the last morning.

I don't think this would have bothered me very much at all.

The ships I have been on (more than 50 at last count) have all had news or the cruise DvD playing on disembarkation morning. The sound cut out whenever there was an announcement.

This just sounds like an inexperienced Cruise Director or a really dumb choice on someone's part.

But it is true that a bad experience at the end can wipe out all the fun from the trip. You would feel exactly the same way if the airline lost your luggage on the way home (well, maybe not if all the fun stuff was in your carry-on and this meant you wouldn't have to do any more laundry...

-Holly

who walks herself off whenever possible to avoid mass theater seatings...

To have to sit and listen to a continuous loop of any kind of advertising is nothing short of torture. I could/would never sit there regardless of what our instructions were for where we were to wait for our call to disembark the ship.

Generally we wait outside in the fresh air and take turns going to check on what color was most recently called. It gives us an equal opportunity to stretch our legs and to have some control over a very long and uncomfortable wait-time.

I am puzzled by a few. I just now reread it and I think it communicated the problem. I guess some tolerate bad advertising better then me. And some must think speaking "Orange 4" loud enough to be heard of the soundtrack is acceptable. Somebody was sitting in the sound booth at the back.

I suppose Princess wants us to book their transfers as the price is enough they could be making money. Having walked from the Embarcadero transit station to the ship, I now know we had the time to walk the same way back and take the $9 BART to the airport. Perhaps next time I will.

I am puzzled by a few..........

Me too. I read this thread again and, deleted posts and bad grammar not withstanding, I am still puzzled by the OP's concern. Disembarkation procedures are so bad that a Princess cruise will not be considered again? Or just using a Princess shuttle is out of the question? Whatever........still curious.

Edited by ar1950

Me too. I read this thread again and, deleted posts and bad grammar not withstanding, I am still puzzled by the OP's concern. Disembarkation procedures are so bad that a Princess cruise will not be considered again? Or just using a Princess shuttle is out of the question? Whatever........still curious.

Some people cruise for the ports.

Some people cruise for the relaxation.

Some people cruise for being served for days in dining venues.

Some people cruise for the entertainment.

And, it appears, some people cruise for the disembarkation.