Necessary Visa for Brazil

OhioanbyBirth

On November 20th I'll be taking the Rotterdam around the Horn, from Rio to Santiago. I'll be flying into Rio and going directly to the ship. Is it necessary to get a visa simply to land and then go to the ship? Hope someone knows the answer from having done so...........

On November 20th I'll be taking the Rotterdam around the Horn, from Rio to Santiago. I'll be flying into Rio and going directly to the ship. Is it necessary to get a visa simply to land and then go to the ship? Hope someone knows the answer from having done so...........

Hi OhioanbyBirth

I am on the same sailing as you are. Yes you have to get a visa from the Brazilian Consulate before you go. I am going to send my passports off this week in fact to get the visa. There is some information regarding where consulates are on the roll call we have for people on this sailing. You might get some information to use by visiting and reading the roll call. I hope we have a fabulous trip, and I am really looking forward to it!

Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=25405

jc

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on the Brazilian Embassy website for Canada (http://www.brasembottawa.org/en/consular/visas/index.html).

This is what I found VERY interesting:

"Consular fee: for Canadian citizens, CDN$ 72.00 in certified check or money order payable to the Embassy of Brazil in Ottawa. Tourist Visas for American citizens are free of charge, however a processing fee of CDN$ 180.00 applies."

On other websites, I have seen "consular fees" for American citizens as high as US$150. I don't know if this means that if an American citizen applies for a tourist visa from the Brazilian embassy in Canada that you can get away with the the Cdn$18 plus postage.

Just thought I would pass this along.

• 3 weeks later...

You must apply for your visa from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate closest to your home (it is assigned geographically) so no, you would not apply as an American through a Canadian consulate, and regardless, the fee is based on your citizenship, not where you apply.

Hi,

I am a dual citizen of USA/Canada. I travel on a US passport and live in Toronto, Canada. Before my trip to Antarctica and the Amazon last year, I went to the Brazilian Consulate in Toronto for my visa. I has to pay $140 US. In other words, the charges are dependent on the country which issued your passoprt and not where you live. They take a minimum of 10 business days in Toronto. The first entry must be within 90 days of issuance of visa or it will be invalid.

Rules and amounts are subject to change so check everything. These charges are reciprocal. When and if the US stops charging Brazilians, they will stop charging us.

Please be polite as you represent your country with the consulate of a foreign country and they also have the power to deny your visa application. Unfortunately we came across people who had left their manners at home. I believe that they had to cancel that portion of their cruise.

Fran

My wife is in Chicago this week on a business trip and that is where our consulate for the Brazilian embassey is. Each state is assigned to a specific consulate. We and the other couple traveling with us filled out our paperwork for our upcoming SA cruise, and my wife dropped it all off Monday about 12:30. There hours were from 9 to 1pm. She was immediately taken care of, and since our paperwork was completely filled out and we had postal money order for the fees and a prepaid postal envelope for the return she was in and out in about 10 minutes. They assured her it would mail out by Thursday.

Just thought I would let anyone know who might be thinking of doing this themselves.

I will update when we receive back the documents.

jc

It is really wonderful that they are accepting applications from other than the bearer in Chicago. When I went to the Toronto office last year, they would only accept applications from those individuals who presented them in person. It was certainly inconvenient for many but it is their game and they make the rules. So smile and say thank you and leave as pleasant a taste in their mouths as you can.

Have a great trip.

Fran

I promised to follow up on the Visa experience for Brazil. Monday the DW dropped the paperwork off at lunchtime, along with prepaid mailer from the post office. Yesterday the packet arrived via express mail. I believe the envelope was $13 or $13.95. So it took about 48 hours. It is unfortunate that they don't give you the oppurtunity to pick them up at the consulate the next day, they told me minimum 3 to 5 days via email before we started this process. Anyway my wife flew home yesterday and the envelope beat her back. So, we now are complete with our visas. I am not looking definitively at port excursions before now this was always hanging out there as a potential mental stumbling block for my mind in planning day to day activities! I am a happy boy!:)

jc

Archived