Fav place for lunch grand caymen with great view

Robinola

http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/2014/09/02/Sunset-House--My-Bar-A-legendary-local-favorite/

"In this day of teardowns and modern buildings being erected, it’s refreshing to see that some of the venues from our youth are still standing. Sunset House’s “My Bar” is one such venue – an oasis in the form of a large, thatch-roofed building that overlooks the water, where many happy memories have been created by families over the years.

The dishes on the menu range from fish tacos and conch fritters to burgers and fish and chips, with a selection of salads for those who prefer the lighter side of life.

After the great beer and food, probably the biggest selling point of My Bar at Sunset House is its atmosphere and view. Even on the hottest days of the year, there is a lovely breeze moving through there, and people can either sit at the bar, or take a seat at one of the many tables on the large deck."

Is My Bar walkable from the cruiseship dock? If so, how do you get there?

Its about 1mile from the tender pier on sidewalks and roadway. When you exit the tender pier turn right and keep the Caribbean to your right. You can see Sunset House from the ship.:)

looking from My Bar back to town and the hovering ships . . .

100_0110_zps8c14384e.jpg

the smaller boat you (might) see is at Eden Rock / Devils Grotto .... Sunset is less than 1 mile from town .... or about 1 mile from the tender landing depending on how you measure . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 2 weeks later...

i live in cayman…

i would suggest a fabulous meal at casa novas.

italian food over looking gorgeous waters.

tarpons at play near the shore.

great italian staff

i take all my friends visiting here

delicious and great presentation

costing about 50 per head.

for more local food with spice

take a walk north 20 minutes

and go to Da Fish Shack.

ask for the escovitch fish…

snapper pan fried with a spicy clear vinaigrette sauce

cheap beers

local patrons

30 per head

sunset house is nice but…

its a taxi ride away

very un spectacular

planes flying over

by time sunset comes you will be back on the ship

Casanova's by the sea is more a romantic dinner spot in our opinion. But Rackams and Da Fish Shack (if enough time) are good lunch spots, and actually we enjoy the Paradise Grill for the food and view for lunch. But our fav spot for the vibe is Coconut Joe's a short bus/taxi ride up SMB

i live in cayman…

i would suggest a fabulous meal at casa novas.

italian food over looking gorgeous waters.

tarpons at play near the shore.

great italian staff

i take all my friends visiting here

delicious and great presentation

costing about 50 per head.

for more local food with spice

take a walk north 20 minutes

and go to Da Fish Shack.

ask for the escovitch fish…

snapper pan fried with a spicy clear vinaigrette sauce

cheap beers

local patrons

30 per head

sunset house is nice but…

its a taxi ride away

very un spectacular

planes flying over

by time sunset comes you will be back on the ship

sorry Tommy but Sunset house/My Bar can be a taxi ride, but is also walkable.We stayed there and walked to Georgetown twice a day. It's a cool -place to watch the planes flying over and the view of the sea is great.

In the discussion of what is or is not walkable, distance and walking conditions come to mind.

Sunset House and My Bar are about one mile south of the port area. Most of that distance there are no sidewalks and very narrow road shoulders. The speed limit is 25mph but traffic often moves closer to 35mph. Be careful. If any in your party are of limited mobility then I would not recommend walking.

I' ll submit another nice lunch spot - Guy Harvey's Restaurant. A table on the balcony has a view of the harbour and waterfront. Nice seafood selections. The lunchtime service is prompt as this restaurant primarily seems to attract local businessmen on an hour lunch break.

On the less serious side, even Burger King has a nice oceanfront location though it might not be what the OP wants.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I assume the bus service does not go in that direction to My Bar? We are suppose to be dropped off at the dock about 1:30 after our tour. We wanted to grab some lunch before getting back on the ship as we have late dining. Our ship will be on New Orleans time in January, so I assume 1:30 island time will be 12:30 ship time. And the ship leaves at 4:00 ship time, meaning 3:00 island time. So.....if the bus doesn't go to My Bar, should we try to walk down there being it will be about 12:30 and we should probably try to get back for a tender by 2:30 or earlier? I know they have taxi service but I also heard they were expensive. Have not heard the exact cost thou. What do you think? Or I am very open to other options. Would LOVE to have a nice lunch with nice view to the ocean and a nice atmosphere. That is why My Bar seemed to fit the bill.

Can I assume the bus service does not go in that direction to My Bar? We are suppose to be dropped off at the dock about 1:30 after our tour. We wanted to grab some lunch before getting back on the ship as we have late dining. Our ship will be on New Orleans time in January, so I assume 1:30 island time will be 12:30 ship time. And the ship leaves at 4:00 ship time, meaning 3:00 island time. So.....if the bus doesn't go to My Bar, should we try to walk down there being it will be about 12:30 and we should probably try to get back for a tender by 2:30 or earlier? I know they have taxi service but I also heard they were expensive. Have not heard the exact cost thou. What do you think? Or I am very open to other options. Would LOVE to have a nice lunch with nice view to the ocean and a nice atmosphere. That is why My Bar seemed to fit the bill.

I would say that you are better off eating someplace closer to the tender docks if the ship leaves at 4:00. You have to be back on the ship at 3:30 (usually that is the standard 30 minute rule) and it might take you a little while to get a tender. I would eat someplace like Guy Harvey, Paradise Grill or the like so that you are close enough. You don't want to be stuck waiting for your bill and a mile away when the last tender is loading!

Can I assume the bus service does not go in that direction to My Bar? ....

In theory there is a bus route (#7) that passes right by Sunset House/My Bar. Such buses are very rarely seen. Don't count on a bus to/from Sunset House.

Edited by drew sailbum

Paradise is just a block or two or three (depending on which tender pier you use) to the right. As you are tendering in....look to the right. It's the little building on the water with the bright green roof! East to spot. Hard to miss if you walk south along the water.