Boxed wine

jascom

My theory has ALWAYS been that if you cannot afford to pay the prices set by the ships for wine, beer, liquor, and pop (and need to smuggle it in), you cannot afford to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thing is, the prices set by this particular cruise line for wine are simply robbery. And the selection offered is extremely weak. Its not always a question of what you can afford, its a question of what you're willing to pay for things that may not really appeal to you. That said, HAL still offers an option. If, for example, you are cruising out of Ft Lauderdale, you can buy a case of wine at a store like Total Wine for well less than a quarter of what you will pay on the ship. Pay the $180 corkage fee for 10 of the bottles, and you're still saving potentially hundreds of dollars. And you're free to drink it anywhere on the ship. Its not a bad option, and that's exactly what we will do on our next HAL cruise.

HAL's prices for liquor and beer are really not that out of line with what you'll pay at any decent land-based establishment. Not the case at all with wine.

wine in a box, please! I bring vodka, vermouth, & olives for our cabin only. two martinis before dinner. same thing with the brandy and port for the evening nitecap. it never leaves the cabin. I don't care what things cost, I want the brands and the drinks made the way I want them. Never have a problem with packing them and bringing aboard. 31 cruises.