Boxed wine

jascom

last time we were on cruise we met british couple who invited us for happy hour in their cabin before dinner.they had boxed wine white and red in their cabin.i could not find out how they got it in their cabin without success.

Anyone has any ideas let me know.

thank you

last time we were on cruise we met british couple who invited us for happy hour in their cabin before dinner.they had boxed wine white and red in their cabin.i could not find out how they got it in their cabin without success.

thank you

Boxed wines are not allowed on board. The couple smuggled them aboard.

Boxed wines are not allowed on board. The couple smuggled them aboard.

Or it was before the policy change. Maybe POA can tell us his grandpa vinny story.

Found the thread. Here it is.

Here's the thread for you OP. See post 13.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068555&highlight=uncle+vinnie

Edited by cruz chic

thank you

Up until Jan 2014, people were allowed to bring on boxed wine -- and as much as they wanted to.

Now there are restrictions.

From's HAL's site:

Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

Revised Policy effective 1/31/14

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Updated: 01/30/2014

Last July we took a Boxed Wine aboard the Westerdam in our luggage. We did not know about the Boxed Wine Policy and nothing happened. We also had a 12 pack of soda and a bottle of cranberry juice in the same bag.

what do you mean they smuggled them aboard.I thought they screen all luggage

My guess would be that boxed wine didn't show up on X-ray the way bottles would, and that the shape of the box wouldn't give its contests away. Cardboard will do that for you.

what do you mean they smuggled them aboard.I thought they screen all luggage

They say they do, and many posters here will tell you they do and you will be publicly shamed when you are caught. All I know is if they do screen the baggage, they are not very good at it. Put a box of wine in your checked luggage and I can almost guarantee it will find its way to your cabin.

That said, it is against HAL's stated policy.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Or it was before the policy change. Maybe POA can tell us his grandpa vinny story.

Found the thread. Here it is.

Here's the thread for you OP. See post 13.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068555&highlight=uncle+vinnie

OP's last cruise was in mid-February, after the revised policy implementation date. But enforcement in the first few weeks might have been less rigid than today.

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise this April and were called to the "naughty room" just after sailing to claim our luggage...they had made an error in our case as there were no liquids. Most of the others in line waiting to get their luggage had boxed wine that showed up on the x-ray and was confiscated!

I get a kick out those who think they can pull a 'fasty' don't give the staff/security any credit at all. They figure they've found a way to game the system that no one else ever thought of. ;) They might sometimes just slip by because of 'lack of interest' on the part of the scanners, lack of energy/effort of plain good luck but how humiliating to have to go to the 'naughty room' to claim your suitcase minus your contraband. I'd be so ashamed not much would be worth it,,,,,,,, to me.

OP's last cruise was in mid-February, after the revised policy implementation date. But enforcement in the first few weeks might have been less rigid than today.

I don't see the OP's cruises listed so I have no idea when they sailed last.

I get a kick out those who think they can pull a 'fasty' don't give the staff/security any credit at all. They figure they've found a way to game the system that no one else ever thought of. ;) They might sometimes just slip by because of 'lack of interest' on the part of the scanners, lack of energy/effort of plain good luck but how humiliating to have to go to the 'naughty room' to claim your suitcase minus your contraband. I'd be so ashamed not much would be worth it,,,,,,,, to me.

Me either. But judging from many posts on this board I'm not surprised. I just don't want to hear complaining if folks get caught.

Well, true confession time. We have taken boxed wine on all but 2 cruises. Big boxed wine. We even took a case of beer in a suitcase once. Just checked the luggage at the pier......Would I do it again, sure. I don't think that I would call being caught a public shaming. The cruise lines still want my money. Now that the cruise ships are offering an all inclusive beverage package people are smuggling less...... It's not any different than taking you own snacks into a movie theater.......