Grand Princess Vista Suite

Bogie Man

Hello

We have booked a mini suite on the Grand going to Hawaii in April. We are seriously considering paying the extra and upgrading ourselves into one of the aft Vista Suites.

We have sailed HAL and Celebrity many times, but never Princess. Aside from the larger stateroom and balcony, is a Vista Suite worth the extra dollars? I know we will get full room service if we want, and preferred dinner reservations, as well as breakfast at Sabatini's.

Does anyone have experience in a Vista suite, and is it worth the extra bucks in your opinion?

We normally book a mini suite, but had a Vista Suite on the CB in July. We chose it mainly for the extra room, and for the aft views. It was very nice to have extra room, laundry services, priority tendering, and the separate shower/tub and extra room in the bathroom. Was it worth it? It was very nice, but we could have booked another cruise with the extra money spent on the suite. We didn't utilize the perks as much as we should have - that is our fault. I would make a list of the perks you would use (or enjoy) and assign the cost that you would be charged if you instead stayed with the mini. If it offsets the cost of the suite, it may help make up your mind. Would we book another suite? On a very special occasion. Did we book one for our next cruise? Booked a balcony aft. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the perk of being able to book your dining room reservations for either anytime dining, or specialty dining for whenever you wanted, or even having the full menu for room service? Did you use this at all?

Edited by Bogie Man

We used traditional dining (a very nice table for four by a window) and room service for breakfast. Usually breakfast was lukewarm at best. I guess I like dinner served in courses, and not all at once, so we went to the dining room. We used the specialty dining (free) the first night, and it was very nice.

I'm afraid I've made it sound less than enjoyable. How many days is your cruise? The extra room and benefits will surely make the suite a wonderful experience. I just don't think, for our family, it was worth an extra $ 2000.00.

We are on a 15 day Hawaii sailing, leaving from Vancouver and returning to Vancouver. We booked a aft Vista suite, mostly for the large balcony, and the fact that we apparently have preferred seating table for two, at a time we want for either the anytime dining rooms, the specialty restaurants, and we also have full room service. Also we get breakfast at Sabatini's.

So we chose it for the balcony size, and the dining options.

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Bogie Man

I had an aft Vista Suite last year for my Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess. I loved the cabin and balcony. I really enjoyed it. Only you can decide if it's worth that much money to you. I probably wouldn't spend an extra $4000 on it. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so I didn't use the breakfast perk that much. Breakfast in Sabatini's is very nice, though. I used the free specialty restaurant meal the first night and it was nice. Service is great. I did order room service to my cabin on one formal night and the food came hot. Service was nice. There isn't a dining room table in a Vista Suite, so you either eat outside or off the coffee table. The furniture on the balcony was very worn and chipped. The cabin steward was very good, but he has tons of other cabins to service. You don't get much personalized service. I loved the flower arrangements, but I understand they're not doing that anymore. I got a lovely fruit bowl.....more fruit than I could eat. Nice. As for specialty restaurant reservations, I've never had a problem making a specialty restaurant reservation on any Princess ship. It's usually not an issue. Again, I loved the space and balcony, but I wouldn't pay a few thousand dollars extra for it. If money was not object, I'd go for it. I'm pretty happy with my mini. An aft cabin on the Hawaii cruise is nice, though, because you are sheltered from the wind. That's a plus.

I used to book mini-suites and sometimes standard balconies. But after accepting an upsell offer to a suite, I don't think I will go back. The extra room, the little touches like fresh flowers, champagne and mini-bar set up, appetizers any night you want them, full room service . . . I would rather pay more and cruise less often. I know not everybody agrees with that, but that's why there are so many categories of cabins.

I used to book mini-suites and sometimes standard balconies. But after accepting an upsell offer to a suite, I don't think I will go back. The extra room, the little touches like fresh flowers, champagne and mini-bar set up, appetizers any night you want them, full room service . . . I would rather pay more and cruise less often. I know not everybody agrees with that, but that's why there are so many categories of cabins.

Just curious about appetizers/canapes in suites. I'm booked into a full suite next spring - first time on Princess.

I've sailed in a suite on both HAL and NCL. I wonder what options there are for the appetizers/snacks that they deliver daily. Do you get a choice?

On NCL - there were numerous options that you could pick from - both savoury or sweet. HAL had the Neptune Lounge where you had to go to get what you wanted - but there was lots of choices throughtout the day.

Thanks!

We've been in an aft VS on the Grand as well as an aft PS on the CB. We've also been in mini-suites and insides on other ships.

With all the sea days on your itinerary plus the warm days when around HI you would find the extra roominess and divided bath in the VS, the low-wind oversized balcony, plus the key suite perks of free laundry, Sabatini's bteakfast, preferred dining reservations to all be wonderful.

We choose to cruise less often in order to enjoy the suite life, but appreciate the alternative approach of "not in the cabin that much" so cruise for less $ and thus more often, as well as the in between approach of a mini-suite.

To each their own but we're considering your cruise itinerary after our upcoming French Polynesia cruise and when we do yours we will definitely go for an aft VS or PS.

Just curious about appetizers/canapes in suites. I'm booked into a full suite next spring - first time on Princess.

I've sailed in a suite on both HAL and NCL. I wonder what options there are for the appetizers/snacks that they deliver daily. Do you get a choice?

On NCL - there were numerous options that you could pick from - both savoury or sweet. HAL had the Neptune Lounge where you had to go to get what you wanted - but there was lots of choices throughtout the day.

Thanks!

You get to choose but most if the appetizers aren't very appetizing. I would recommend the chocolate dipped strawberries. Now those are yummy!

Those canapes are the same ones they have offered since we started booking suites. If you don't eat them right away, the crackers/pretzels go soggy. And if you are on for a long cruise, you get mighty tired of them. Strawberries are the best but, again, on long cruises they are not always available. AND on formal nights you get another plate of strawberries - even if you love them like I do, there is no way you can eat that many. They have had chocolate covered grapes when they run out of strawberries. Wish they would update them.

The profiteroles are my second choice.

The posting by Catsguy7 was right on and DW & I love the Choc Covered Strawberries & Profiteroles, along with just about everything in our suites! :eek: However, the two best perks are the free laundry & Breakfast at Sabatini's! And like KruzeKrazy we too choose to cruise less often but in the luxury of the suites!

We are just RetiredNTraveling!

Mike :D & Miss Betty;)

image.php?u=866479&type=sigpic&dateline=1369580992Platinum Member "Remember Travel First Class, If You Don't, Your Kids Will!"

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Our experience in Ft. Lauderdale wasn't quite what I had expected. We arrived around 10:30, breezed through security (using the suite/elite/platinum line) and ended up in a large room with plenty of other passengers. A man announced about an hour later that, moving from row to row, they would start lining up Platinum passengers to board. He started with about 6 rows to the right of us, then moved to another room. (We were Ruby at the time). We kept thinking, "Gosh, how many Platinum passengers are on this cruise?" The line was never-ending. Having heard that suite/elite passengers were allowed to board early on in the process, I asked the Princess rep standing in the room with us when suite passengers would be called. Her response, "Do you want to go ahead and board?" Feeling strange about moving ahead of other people in line, I said, "No, we'll wait until we're called." So... We finally got in line when our section was called. Obviously, as suite newbies, we did it wrong. Perhaps someone who has cruised from Vancouver can give you helpful advice - our experience was probably unique. :)

Obviously, as suite newbies, we did it wrong. Perhaps someone who has cruised from Vancouver can give you helpful advice - our experience was probably unique. :)

In Ft. Lauderdale, suite/elite wait in a separate room.

There is no general announcement that they can board,

someone comes into the room, and starts the process.

You got mis-directed to the general seating.

This happened to me as well. I sat there for a few minutes,

stewing that it was wrong, and tried again. The second

time I was directed to the right waiting area.

About every six months they change the method in Ft. Lauderdale.

The method they have now is good -- I hope they stick with it.

Okay! Thanks for sharing the photo of the appetizer choices! I've been trying to search for this for a while with no luck. Everyone keeps saying the strawberries are the best choice. Not sure I want 10 days of strawberries.

A couple of the choices sound pretty good. I'm wondering now if there is anywhere to get things like cheese and crackers, mixed nuts, tortilla chips and salsa. These are the things I want with my Gin & T. I'll have to check out the buffet, IC and maybe at one of the bars. You'd think I was worried about starving or something! :) haha! Good thing I will be in an aft cabin and will have walk long hallways to get anywhere; I will need the exercise!

I am looking forward to experiencing a suite on Princess! Thanks for the terrific amount of info that is offered on these boards! Awesome!

In Ft. Lauderdale, suite/elite wait in a separate room.

There is no general announcement that they can board,

someone comes into the room, and starts the process.

In February we were all in one huge room with preferred boarding seated against the wall nearest the boarding platforms.

Mike:)

Agree the choc strawberries are the best and that you get tired of them - even on a 7- or 10-day cruise.

Since there's no shortage of food on a cruise :- ) we just get the strawberries every other day so it's a bit more special and appreciated. Anything else we end up wasting as they're not that good and why eat something not so good before heading to dinner where the food is food...