CCL vs. RCI -- Teen program

Laurin612

My family has cruised Carnival for our past 7 cruises and due to the cancellation of our Valor cruise on 3/22, we will now be cruising on Royal Caribbean in that date since we already have the airfare booked.

My kids are concerned about how the teen program will compare. They LOVE Circle C and Club 02! Can anyone who has cruised on both lines with teens comment on how the two programs compare?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Laurin612

Keep in mind, it has been many years since sailed RCI. Son found program more free flowing, more sports tournaments, activities to do. (Make sure sign a rock climbing release first day if there is one- saves trouble later.) he liked this first day or so. But-

Now this was 4-5 years ago, they seemed to really push a teen curfew (11pm) Son nor us were happy (he was 17) and at nights kids sitting with friends eating pizza and approached by security- asked for cruise cards, told to go to cabins. really...

Now we parent well & made sure he checked In, and no going to other cabins. So the so we hat early curfew seemed extreme. Next day tried to get off ship. His card was locked and as parents my DH had to trek to securiity office to get riot act read. Not a happy camper but they had upper hand- their ship/their rules. We were not alone with 30 other parents fuming. Perhaps curfew and over zealous security will have calmed down. This btw was on AOS out of San Juan.

Overall he Liked beginning of cruise, but each day the kid pack grew larger and they all did things together - no more ship club. No worries. Take my comments with grain salt- son was 17 and a while ago. I hope others can chime in.

Keep in mind, it has been many years since sailed RCI. Son found program more free flowing, more sports tournaments, activities to do. (Make sure sign a rock climbing release first day if there is one- saves trouble later.) he liked this first day or so. But-

Now this was 4-5 years ago, they seemed to really push a teen curfew (11pm) Son nor us were happy (he was 17) and at nights kids sitting with friends eating pizza and approached by security- asked for cruise cards, told to go to cabins. really...

Now we parent well & made sure he checked In, and no going to other cabins. So the so we hat early curfew seemed extreme. Next day tried to get off ship. His card was locked and as parents my DH had to trek to securiity office to get riot act read. Not a happy camper but they had upper hand- their ship/their rules. We were not alone with 30 other parents fuming. Perhaps curfew and over zealous security will have calmed down. This btw was on AOS out of San Juan.

Overall he Liked beginning of cruise, but each day the kid pack grew larger and they all did things together - no more ship club. No worries. Take my comments with grain salt- son was 17 and a while ago. I hope others can chime in.

Thanks! I had heard about the curfew but luckily has changed to a more reasonable 1:00am. 11:00 is ridiculous for15-17 year olds on vacation! Indeed, the 15-17 program runs until 1:00. On Carnival, my 16 year old daughter told me some kids she met stayed out until 5:00am!

Edited by Laurin612

The teen curfew was 1:00am on the Enchantment of the Seas in July. I appreciated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Interesting to see the curfews changed in RCI. We were on RCI last July and the teen clubs ran from 10-12 for the 12-14 yr olds and 12-2 for the 15-17 yr olds. At that time my 14 yr old did not want to be a part of the 12-14 yr old group. His brother was 16 and from playing on the basketball courts he made friends who were all 15+. My 16 yr old stayed until the 2pm curfew. They usually met in the club then went off for a bite to eat or just to hang out and chat. This year we went on carnival. There were 2 separate clubs , so each age group could hang out. My now 15 yr old was excited to be a part of the older crowd now. He ended up hating the carnival clubs because there was too much of a disco feel and it was too loud. He started out watching the dive in movies then as the week went on stayed with us, saw some shows, thrill theater etc... My 17 yr old went to meet his friends in the club every night. My 13 yr old daughter thought her club to be boring and would rather have been in the more disco type club.

Over all my boys said they found the kids on RCI easier to get o know and more consistent. They said there seemed to be more things to do as a family on RCI. My daughter never took part in the RCI clubs. She is not as interested in meeting new people an would rather stay with us.

Lisa

Interesting to see the curfews changed in RCI. We were on RCI last July and the teen clubs ran from 10-12 for the 12-14 yr olds and 12-2 for the 15-17 yr olds. At that time my 14 yr old did not want to be a part of the 12-14 yr old group. His brother was 16 and from playing on the basketball courts he made friends who were all 15+. My 16 yr old stayed until the 2pm curfew. They usually met in the club then went off for a bite to eat or just to hang out and chat. This year we went on carnival. There were 2 separate clubs , so each age group could hang out. My now 15 yr old was excited to be a part of the older crowd now. He ended up hating the carnival clubs because there was too much of a disco feel and it was too loud. He started out watching the dive in movies then as the week went on stayed with us, saw some shows, thrill theater etc... My 17 yr old went to meet his friends in the club every night. My 13 yr old daughter thought her club to be boring and would rather have been in the more disco type club.

Over all my boys said they found the kids on RCI easier to get o know and more consistent. They said there seemed to be more things to do as a family on RCI. My daughter never took part in the RCI clubs. She is not as interested in meeting new people an would rather stay with us.

Lisa

My mistake--the curfew must be 2:00, not 1:00, as the activities run until 1:00.

My daughter, 16 years, has been on about a dozen carnival cruises.

I took her on the EXOS in April, she said she had a really good time but prefers Carnival over all. She said, "Of course I'll never turn down a cruise, but I prefer we stick with Carnival."

I bet if you post the same question on RCI forum the teens who cruise RCI would probably prefer to stick with RCI. :)

I'm 23 so I'm not too far removed from being a teen. I enjoyed both teen groups BUT I did find that RCI had better designated spaces and activities. The "club" for teens was more like a lounge and if you ever were bored and couldn't find friends, there were usually a couple people up there hanging out looking for others. In both programs, many teens go to the first and a few second day organized activities, but then everyone finds friends there and goes off in their groups. On carnival ships, because the ships I sailed (conquest class) had the O2 place right on the promenade, we ended up just sitting in those chairs all the time and I think it bothered the adults. The O2 place wasn't as well designed for just hanging out as the RCI place was. Also, on RCI Freedom of the Seas, the lounge was for both younger and older teens and that never seemed to bother anyone.

The teen curfew was 1:00am on the Enchantment of the Seas in July. I appreciated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tapi, I think you can stay out as late as you like on both lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Glad they got realistic on curfew times, that will enhance RCI since they have more outdoor things for kids. I could see how son would have liked them better had they not had early curfew back then. Thank alpha poster for posting from a person who used the club as a teen.

P.s. My son is 23 wouldn't it be ironic if you guys had hung out back then.

Thanks! I had heard about the curfew but luckily has changed to a more reasonable 1:00am. 11:00 is ridiculous for15-17 year olds on vacation! Indeed, the 15-17 program runs until 1:00. On Carnival, my 16 year old daughter told me some kids she met stayed out until 5:00am!

I can certainly relate to that. We just took my 12 year old stepson on the Magic. He stayed out until around that time every night and really had a blast.

I have been on many, many RCCL ships. The last was Allure in 2011. They were sticklers about curfew for minors. I believe it was midnight or 1am.

Carnival did not have that and had they, Jack would have been miserable. Carnival does however, have quite a security presence patrolling around the ship.

Best of luck!!

I looked at done of my old paperwork from last year. It does indicate that teens 17 and under must be clear from public areas by 1 am unless accompanied by a parent or involved in a planned teen activity. I do know that the basketball courts closed at midnight so that's when my younger son came back as all his friends went to the club at midnight for that age group (15-17). The club remained open til 2. If the kids decided on a late night puzza snack security seemed to be ok with it. Once the teen club closed at 2 am they were on top of them to get back to their rooms. Not in a bad way, just gentle reminders that it was time to get back. My kids would go back on either cruise line. They just enjoy being on the open water, having a little independence, and love all the available food ( tho they liked Carnivals food options better) as well as meeting new people ( ok 2 out of 3 for that one).

Lisa