Fantasy B2B, August 2014: The Crew Takes It Away

Seago2

I'm so glad someone had a similar experience on the Fantasy--I'm commonly told that "it's just me" when I complain about the terminal and set-up (how 'bout that debark..sheesh?). The show is bare bones which we kind of liked, but the terminal needs updating before we'll be back. The actual b2b transition sounds nice--we haven't experienced one that was so smooth (both of our b2bs were on the Glory), nor were there mimosas, a picture, and entertainment.

The person posing for you guys on the bow of the ship would haven't been a crew member since it's a crew area off of the crew bar.

Yes my B2B on Glory last year was a flurry of chasing luggage around and trying to be where we were supposed to be (never got "the letter" and were changing cabins). This was really wonderful and that's down to the wonderful Fantasy Guest Services. We were the only B2B'ers, as you can see.

The person on the bow was indeed a crew member ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the review! I'm with u on Nassau. This will be our second time there as well. We decided to do the day pass. Hopefully it will be a good decision. As far as grand Turk and HMC goes I hope Octobers weather will be smooth. I'm just excited to go and not be working or stressed for 7 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes that's really what matters!

Best thing to do is get a day pass somewhere good. We were going to do Melia but decided to stay on board.

Enjoying your review. It's very balanced.

Is there any bed that fits someone 6'3" not on a diagonal? I'm a good 16" shorter than that so I have absolutely no idea. ;)

Like the B2B sign. That must be new.

Edited by SadieN

I have a question for the fantasy ship. I'm sailing in October.

I've read something before .. Is your sign and sail card on this ship also your room key? Or is it 2 seperate keys for each?

Thanks

I've been on Fantasy 7 times, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. To me, Fantasy's only redemption is she is only a 5 hour drive from me. Fantasy's crew is wonderful, but I'm kinda tired of the Bahamas.

I've never sprung for a balcony on F, if I did, I might go back again.

Thanks for the review.

I have a question for the fantasy ship. I'm sailing in October.

I've read something before .. Is your sign and sail card on this ship also your room key? Or is it 2 seperate keys for each?

Thanks

Yes it is one and the same. When I get home I put magnets on the back- they sell them at Office Max to put behind business cards- and make refrigerator magnets out of them. Just gained six more ;)

Half Moon Cay: I am now 0 for 4. Four trips, zero calls at HMC. Once again I will warn everyone: if you are booking a cruise for HMC, don't. Wind, swells, chop- you will be looking at it from the ship as I have now done four times.

Nassau again: stayed on the ship. Yay. Everyone left and we had the water slide and pool to ourselves.

Interesting review. The only comment I will make is that we have been to HMC 5 times and got to the island all 5 times.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I've been on Fantasy 7 times, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. To me, Fantasy's only redemption is she is only a 5 hour drive from me. Fantasy's crew is wonderful, but I'm kinda tired of the Bahamas.

I've never sprung for a balcony on F, if I did, I might go back again.

Thanks for the review.

The balcony is wonderful because it's got the old school metal railings, not the plexiglass. Yes, it's small (we were in the V Cabins on 11) but who cares. I'm usually scrunching down in the chair so I can see between the plexiglass and the wooden railing. Not on Fantasy. Very nice. One other plus is that you can hear the Italian spoken by the bridge crew as they step out to smoke. :)

Interesting review. The only comment I will make is that we have been to HMC 5 times and got to the island all 5 times.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I don't know why I've had such bad luck- twice with HAL and twice with CCL.

Thanks for the review! The crew is what makes the ship. Jolly has a huge job but seems ready anytime to chat with guests.

The last cruise on her was this past May (I think number 5 or 6) with about 20 VFW members. Jolly sent gifts to all the rooms and thanked us for our service.

It's about a 15 minute ride to port for us so that makes the Fantasy a real contender for 5 night cruise, off-season. The last cruise went to Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay (CoCo Cay for RCCL), LOVED LSC and wish there were more cruises to it. Got a cabana (#7) that looked out on the ocean.

We now cruise other lines (kids are gone), even though it's a 10 hour drive, because of the difference BUT always compare the crew against the Fantasy crew. Our latest cruise the crew actually surpassed them. We are Plat. and sure wish Carnival was just a bit more better.

Edited by bobsfamily

I did a B2B on Fantasy - also a 5 + 7 back in October 2012. I was solo on the 5 night, then a friend joined me and my DD and her new husband came on the 7-night for their honeymoon.

We had a wonderful time. I got absolutely nothing for being on my first B2B. Not a thing. Didn't matter.

Those two cruises encountered Hurricane Sandy. We missed Freeport on leg 1 and HMC on leg 2, although Sandy was well past by then (apparently there was enough damage that they felt it wouldn't be a typical HMC experience.) That's the only time I've missed the port (I think I've been there 5 times, but it may be 6).

My only two upsell calls have been offers to move from my usual inside cabin to a Jr suite. There is absolutely no way I'd pay what they want for those cabins. No way. I just book my nice, dark inside cabins and spend most of my sea days on the Serenity Deck.

I love Charleston and sailing on Fantasy. It has been discussed many, many times that the embarkation there is a very different experience than at any other port. Unless you're going to be the first ones on (I have been), you're almost better off waiting until mid-afternoon when the rush is over. Yes, it's hot in the south in summer!

I have a favorite wait team on Fantasy - Rafael and Seville. I love those guys. And I've always had very, very good meals. I personally think the food on Fantasy has been some of the best on any of my Carnival cruises (#20 and #21 coming up soon).

It's been a year since I sailed her and, honestly, I miss her. I'm thinking of a land vacation next post-tax-season, but if I decide it's too expensive, I'll be back for more Fantasy. I love the old gal!

I did a B2B on Fantasy - also a 5 + 7 back in October 2012. I was solo on the 5 night, then a friend joined me and my DD and her new husband came on the 7-night for their honeymoon.

We had a wonderful time. I got absolutely nothing for being on my first B2B. Not a thing. Didn't matter.

Those two cruises encountered Hurricane Sandy. We missed Freeport on leg 1 and HMC on leg 2, although Sandy was well past by then (apparently there was enough damage that they felt it wouldn't be a typical HMC experience.) That's the only time I've missed the port (I think I've been there 5 times, but it may be 6).

My only two upsell calls have been offers to move from my usual inside cabin to a Jr suite. There is absolutely no way I'd pay what they want for those cabins. No way. I just book my nice, dark inside cabins and spend most of my sea days on the Serenity Deck.

I love Charleston and sailing on Fantasy. It has been discussed many, many times that the embarkation there is a very different experience than at any other port. Unless you're going to be the first ones on (I have been), you're almost better off waiting until mid-afternoon when the rush is over. Yes, it's hot in the south in summer!

I have a favorite wait team on Fantasy - Rafael and Seville. I love those guys. And I've always had very, very good meals. I personally think the food on Fantasy has been some of the best on any of my Carnival cruises (#20 and #21 coming up soon).

It's been a year since I sailed her and, honestly, I miss her. I'm thinking of a land vacation next post-tax-season, but if I decide it's too expensive, I'll be back for more Fantasy. I love the old gal!

My waiters on all 4 of my Fantasy cruises too. I plan on asking for them again in November. They are awesome!!!!

I agree with the V cabins... I made the mistake of upgrading to one for an extra $500 :eek:.

We r going to be in V30. Know anything about that location?

You should be safe from the weights crashing that far down but prepare for marginal AC. We were talking to pax in V27, which is on the other side but that far down, and they were livid about the AC. One night a bunch of pax were congregated in the hall commiserating and planning to go to Guest Services. We had given up at that point but we had been prepared for it. From then on you could hear the insanely loud fans from outside the rooms. Just keep your curtains closed all the way and put the fan on here and there and you'll be fine. Then again it might be fixed.

You should be safe from the weights crashing that far down but prepare for marginal AC. We were talking to pax in V27, which is on the other side but that far down, and they were livid about the AC. One night a bunch of pax were congregated in the hall commiserating and planning to go to Guest Services. We had given up at that point but we had been prepared for it. From then on you could hear the insanely loud fans from outside the rooms. Just keep your curtains closed all the way and put the fan on here and there and you'll be fine. Then again it might be fixed.

So they give out fans? I was wondering if you took that one. I'm gonna be pissed if it's hot in my room. I hate being hot. What I am paying for this cruise isn't a lot to some people but it is to me and I should have a/c that works.

Yes it is one and the same. When I get home I put magnets on the back- they sell them at Office Max to put behind business cards- and make refrigerator magnets out of them. Just gained six more ;)

What an awesome idea! Love it!

Yes my B2B on Glory last year was a flurry of chasing luggage around and trying to be where we were supposed to be (never got "the letter" and were changing cabins). This was really wonderful and that's down to the wonderful Fantasy Guest Services. We were the only B2B'ers, as you can see.

The person on the bow was indeed a crew member ;)

That was also our experience on the Glory. We had to change rooms for the second leg and our room stewards actually refused to move the luggage (after GS said that's how it's handled). We also did not get a letter.

I apparently got auto-corrected. I meant to say it was a crew member. It turned would've into haven't--technology. We went on a T-S so we didn't have the weekend crowd--it was an older clientele.

I'm enjoying your review so far!

I'm wondering if I should call and change rooms

Honestly if you can get an OV now, do it. It's crazy, there are these limited number of V cabins and they have such bad AC- as I said, we knew to expect it. On the first night it was of course sweltering because we had left the drapes open to enjoy the view. When we left Charleston it was like 90 degrees again and the sun was just beaming into the room. We learned very quickly to keep the drapes closed. There was a woman out in the hallway who was absolutely furious- she had come from guest services- and she was in a full rant about everything- the embarkation, the AC, the gym noise, and even the chicken fingers as an app on the menu. She was expecting a very different experience as she had not sailed Carnival in years. She was a really nice person and we saw her off an on the rest of the cruise- believe me, everyone was nice. It's just a bad situation up there with the air. If you open your balcony door sometimes it will suck the hallway air, which is cooler, through the room for a little while and cool it down.

Obviously if you're sailing when it's cooler out, it won't be a problem.