Carry On luggage

Ok,

I know that this is probably not the correct place to post this, and if moderators move it to a more proper location, so be it... but you guys are some of the most well traveled, intelligent people I know..

I have been reading both on here and in other articles that the airlines are cracking down on carry-on sizes, specifically the width measurement of 14 inches.

We are getting ready to purchase a couple of new carry on bags. IT IS FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE to find ones that are within their exact 22X14X9 measurements... and since checked bags are not exactly cheap, I want to carry on the biggest possible bag....

The ones we found that we liked are hard sided and fall under the total length of 45 inches dictated by most airlines (in our case, Delta)... BUT... the measurements are 20.5 X 14.5 X 9.5.... so we are .5 over on the 14.5 measurement...

In you recent experiences, are the airlines being militant over .5 inches, especially if the overall measurements are UNDER 45? I don't want a 50.00 surprise at the airport when they make me check the bags...

Thanks in advance for your insights and experiences...

Don

Ok,

I know that this is probably not the correct place to post this, and if moderators move it to a more proper location, so be it... but you guys are some of the most well traveled, intelligent people I know..

I have been reading both on here and in other articles that the airlines are cracking down on carry-on sizes, specifically the width measurement of 14 inches.

We are getting ready to purchase a couple of new carry on bags. IT IS FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE to find ones that are within their exact 22X14X9 measurements... and since checked bags are not exactly cheap, I want to carry on the biggest possible bag....

The ones we found that we liked are hard sided and fall under the total length of 45 inches dictated by most airlines (in our case, Delta)... BUT... the measurements are 20.5 X 14.5 X 9.5.... so we are .5 over on the 14.5 measurement...

In you recent experiences, are the airlines being militant over .5 inches, especially if the overall measurements are UNDER 45? I don't want a 50.00 surprise at the airport when they make me check the bags...

Thanks in advance for your insights and experiences...

Don

We purchased new sets from Amazon,a couple of weeks ago. The smallest roll on is stated to measure 22x14x9 which meets the 45 inches. The brand was "Nautica". They are a nice looking set of luggage. When we receivedthem they measure slightly over the stated dimensions, so I made a cardboard box to the stated dimensions. I was able to place the bag within the box but it was a tight fit. We definitely won't overstuff them. Since they are soft side fabric and frames , they tend to bulge a little bit.

I think you will be fine if you purchase a hard-sided carryon. Fly Delta frequently and have two different carryons - both are hard-sided with no outer pockets. I think the problem is when people fill the outer pockets over capacity, making a bag that is "legal" too big and that gets called out. If you stick with a smooth, harded-sided case this cannot happen.