Please help. I think I messed up with my Drivers License

valandemmy

OK... So here is the story . . .

We moved into a new state a couple of months back. Although, you are supposed to get a new DL within 30 days I procrastinated and went today to get them for me and my wife.

At DMV...fill out forms, get new picture taken... get handed a PAPER DRIVERS LICENSE....Then get told it will be 20 business days until the new card arrives. I leave in less than that. I asked about cancelling the new DL and they kinda just laughed about it and said everything would be fine.

Does anyone know if these paper drivers license will work to get on board. The DMV said they would work for any cruise, flight, etc. but I am a little scared to bet my vacation on it. The Paper DL has my picture, a watermark, and bar scan code on the back...

We moved into a new state a couple of months back. Although, you are supposed to get a new DL within 30 days I procrastinated and went today to get them for me and my wife.

At DMV...fill out forms, get new picture taken... get handed a PAPER DRIVERS LICENSE....Then get told it will be 20 business days until the new card arrives. I leave in less than that. I asked about cancelling the new DL and they kinda just laughed about it and said everything would be fine.

Does anyone know if these paper drivers license will work to get on board. The DMV said they would work for any cruise, flight, etc. but I am a little scared to bet my vacation on it. The Paper DL has my picture, a watermark, and bar scan code on the back...

did you keep your old license?

There's nothing in the regulations that specifies that the government ID has to be laminated, but I know that I would be more comfortable with one. Bottom line is if the new license doesn't come by the time you sail what option do you really have? (FWIW when we got our EDL's I was issued a paper copy of my license because it takes several weeks for them to be issue. The paper copy specifically stated that it was a valid ID and operator's license but it could not be used for border crossings.)

Edited by sparks1093

Does the paper DL state that it is a legal ID? Some states, like California, aren't.

Put it into a ziplock to prevent damage.

Has your old DL expired?

(Another good reason to have a passport.)

This was several years ago and in the state of Ohio so don't quote me if this is still true, but if you went and got a state ID/ID card made it CANCELLED OUT your regular drivers license! You had to retake all tests and pay the various fees to get it back. Again, might not still be the case and might not be so in every state, but something to keep a look out for.

I have zero clue if the paper one will work though, so I guess I'm useless :o

This was several years ago and in the state of Ohio so don't quote me if this is still true, but if you went and got a state ID/ID card made it CANCELLED OUT your regular drivers license! You had to retake all tests and pay the various fees to get it back. Again, might not still be the case and might not be so in every state, but something to keep a look out for.

I have zero clue if the paper one will work though, so I guess I'm useless :o

Yes... I just got off the phone with the DMV and this is what I was told. It is a step backwards from a class D license and I would have to go through everything again to get a new DL

Does the paper DL state that it is a legal ID? Some states, like California, aren't.

Put it into a ziplock to prevent damage.

Has your old DL expired?

(Another good reason to have a passport.)

It doesn't state that it is a legal ID...but it doesn't state that it isn't. I don't recall my other DL saying it was legal either. This literally looks just like the drivers license, just a paper version...even has a watermark built into it

Yes... I just got off the phone with the DMV and this is what I was told. It is a step backwards from a class D license and I would have to go through everything again to get a new DL

Ouch, it stinks to hear they still do this and other states do this, but at least it's good info to know for anyone else that might be in a bind to not do it.

Ok.. confused as to why this is an issue. to cruise you need a birth certificate or a passport... are you planning on sailing with only a birth certificate? If so then the paper license and another for of id (credit card or something) would be fine. As far as getting back on the ship in ports... it is rare that they even ask for the photo id anymore.. normally they only want to see the sign and sail card.

Ok.. confused as to why this is an issue. to cruise you need a birth certificate or a passport... are you planning on sailing with only a birth certificate? If so then the paper license and another for of id (credit card or something) would be fine. As far as getting back on the ship in ports... it is rare that they even ask for the photo id anymore.. normally they only want to see the sign and sail card.

In order to cruise on a closed loop cruise one needs a governtment issued photo ID (if over 16) and a government issued birth certificate in order to board. A birth certificate by itself only works if you are under 16.

You need a birth certificate "and" government issued photo ID.

From Carnival FAQ:

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

It's too bad that they took the OP's old drivers license. In our state they just snip the corner off and you can still use it for identification, with the paper renewal.

Take care,

Mike

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

I don't remember a single port where they did not ask to see our photo ID when we entered the gate, even our last cruise to Hawaii. One of our friends forgot hers and her husband had to go to the room and get it before the port authority would let her in.

I happen to know for a fact that they will allow you to board with a Paper version (from the State issuing your license). I had to do it on our Valor Cruise out of Miami in 2011. Granted all the people that wanted to see id looked at it funny but once they understood that is how my State (UT) does its renewals they were ok with it. Even at the airport security...:eek::D You will be fine.