Getting on and off ship

foghorn

A copy of my passport been accepted as ID by port officials in Bermuda and every Caribbean country I've cruised to.

Sure it may be accepted that does not make it 100 percent valid .

All it takes is one hard-nose to ruin your day and not accept it .

For me it's the real thing (Official government I.D.)in my pocket .

JMHO

Edited by biker@sea

Sure it may be accepted that does not make it 100 percent valid .

All it takes is one hard-nose to ruin your day and not accept it .

For me it's the real thing (Official government I.D.)in my pocket .

JMHO

How are they going to "ruin my day"? And where does it say you have to carry an "official ID". You're advised to carry a "photo ID" ashore.

How are they going to "ruin my day"? And where does it say you have to carry an "official ID". You're advised to carry a "photo ID" ashore.

You can do what ever you want ( Its freestyle ) .:)

I said I carry my official photo I.D .( Just My Honest Opinion )

I would not depend on just a copy of a passport ,drivers license or birth certificate .

Edited by biker@sea

...And where does it say you have to carry an "official ID". You're advised to carry a "photo ID" ashore.

I am rather surprised at this comment. It may well say a photo ID and not use the word OFFICIAL, or even VALID.

But, if you need an ID to show respresntatives of a country, I am thinking they want something more than a Mickey Mouse Photo ID. Not sure why anyone would think it was a good idea to walk around in a foreign country without a valid, official photo id. No matter what they tell you to do.

I am rather surprised at this comment. It may well say a photo ID and not use the word OFFICIAL, or even VALID.

But, if you need an ID to show respresntatives of a country, I am thinking they want something more than a Mickey Mouse Photo ID. Not sure why anyone would think it was a good idea to walk around in a foreign country without a valid, official photo id. No matter what they tell you to do.

A copy of my passport main page is not a "Mickey Mouse" photo ID.

I want you to think about what the port security officer is doing when checking your ID. First he/she looks at your face, then they look at your picture on the ID...OK they match...then they look at the name on that photo ID...OK the person with that face is named John Jones...then they look at your ship's room key card...OK the name on that is also John Jones...so the conclusion is you're good to enter the cruise terminal.

This is nothing like nor has anything to do with immigration requirements for passports, birth certificates, official government IDs or whatever is permissible or required under US or foreign regulations.

It is simply a quick check to ensure that the person holding that ship's room key card is likely to be the person who should be holding that ship's room key card and therefore should be permitted to proceed to the ship's gangway, where ship security will swipe the card and see that the face of the person presenting the card matches the photo of you that was taken when you originally checked in at your embarkation port.

Lot's of people carry a copy of their passport as their ID while in port, because it is perfectly acceptable for that purpose and eliminates the risk of your losing (or having stolen) your "official" ID (passport, drivers license or whatever you have).

Edited by njhorseman

A copy of my passport main page is not a "Mickey Mouse" photo ID.....

Lot's of people carry a copy of their passport as their ID while in port, because it is perfectly acceptable for that purpose and eliminates the risk of your losing (or having stolen) your "official" ID (passport, drivers license or whatever you have).

First off, I don't think most of the port security guards even look close at the name, but that is another story. Sort of like the folks that REQUIRE a cruise doc to get into the checkin area. That is pretty much a joke.

BUT -

I just do not feel good walking around in a foreign country without a "valid" ID. I suppose most minor issues one might run into would be handled with a copy of some id - DL, Passport, etc.

Thank you everyone for your quick response. All I ever remember is showing the cruise card.

They tell you in the daily paper and announce it to bring a photo ID. Out of 18 cruises I have had to show it very seldom, but I do ask they say and bring it.

It would be at the port check point, on returning to the ship that we had to show it not at the ship itself.