Traditional Dining

Nāmaka

We request a table for 2 in Anytime Dining. Its the best of both worlds - usually the tables for 2 are close enough that you can have a conversation with your neighbors IF YOU WANT - but still have a little bit of privacy and dine at your own pace.

Exactly. We just usually greet people & if you don't want the extended conversation they usually get the idea fairly quickly. Why else would both of you have chosen tables for 2. ;)

Because they wanted to.

No explanation is necessary.

Mike:)

And that means to me that they don't really want to have conversations with everyone around then like would take place at a large table and I can understand that. How many times in a land based restaurant does anyone have a conversation with people next to them? :)

Sometimes, a table for two is the first available in ATD.

We say that we'll share or take the first available.

These tables for two can be quite close so we always say something in a friendly voice like Good Evening to those next to us and let them pursue any farther conversation.

If they want to chat, we'll chat. If not, we respect their privacy. :)

LuLu

Hi, if i have a family with 10 people, is it best to do the traditional dining (eg 6pm) so we are guaranteed to not have to wait to get a table for so many people?

One of the things that you may care to do is to have your reservations linked as well as request a table for 10 in TD....this will be of huge benefit to the maître-d in getting you all together at the same table.

One of the things that you may care to do is to have your reservations linked as well as request a table for 10 in TD....this will be of huge benefit to the maître-d in getting you all together at the same table.

great! i think these three cabins are already linked! perfect!

One of our worst tables was on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Fortunately it was only 4 nights. Checking ahead of time would not have helped us, because we were assigned to a table that seated 8. The unfortunate part was that the couple we were seated with had nothing in common with us. We were on our second cruise and they were on their 20-something one. We were in our late 20s/early 30s and they were in their 70s. Conversation consisted of our asking what they had done that day. "Nothing." Or asking what they had enjoyed in the port. "Nothing." We call them Fred and Ethel.

We had a similarly aged couple on a Holland America cruise a few years later. They were delightful.

Sometimes I don't know what the cruise lines are thinking when they make assignments! I guess they can't know personalities, but they seem to try to "match" people.

On our first family cruise in 2000, we had two of our kids with us: a daughter who was 15 and a son who was 12. We were seated at a table for 10 with another family with a son and a caughter who were similar ages to our kids and a same sex couple. Interesting mix! I'm sure the couple were shocked that they were put with two families!! LOL!

Well we had absolutely NOTHING in common with the other family...the parents came to dinner every night sloshed and didn't speak and the kids were strange. Now we are no prudes, we like to drink too, but every night drunk at dinner?? Anyway, the same sex couple was fantastic and fun and funny....we hit it off with them and we are still friends with them 14 years later!!

And that means to me that they don't really want to have conversations with everyone around then like would take place at a large table and I can understand that. How many times in a land based restaurant does anyone have a conversation with people next to them? :)

LOL! We have done it several times!! :rolleyes:;)

We were seated with people who were all together and ran quite an age gamut. By far the most interesting one in the group was the coffin dodger. My wife enjoyed talking with her immensely.

Same here. There was once an 88-year-old woman at our table who didn't always remember what ship we were on, or where we were going (!). She turned out to be not only quite pleasant to speak with, but also had lived a very interesting life.

Edited by Ryndam2002