When to book excursions

diskids2

We will be taking our second cruise on NCL and going to Alaska for this trip in July, 2015. I am in the process of researching the different ports and I am wondering how soon do I need to book shore excursions before I am facing not getting what I want. I am not sure exactly what we will be doing yet, except that I have booked with Harv and Marv already for Juneau.

In my research I've seen that Chilkootcharters offered pretty good tours, but they don't have the timing on what I want to do...not that I think I would find it anyway. I'm looking to the the White Rail in the morning ....take a 2-3 hour break and then do some sort of Dog Sled excursion. In the break, I'd be eating lunch in Skagway.

I looked at NCL and there are only a few excursions loaded, but I am wondering if that is because the cruise is too far out.

In Ketchikan, I know we want to do something related to viewing bears, but I've yet to find the exact thing...still more research to do.

So if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Book as soon as you decide and/or as soon as the vendor opens the dates.

I'm going on HAL next August and most of my excursions are already listed and available. I'm booked on one and will book another on the next billing cycle of my credit card.

I was supposed to take the same trip this year (this week actually). I booked several excursions 6+ months out. The cruise line had me pay upfront - which was fine because that helped spread out the cost and they were fully refunded when I cancelled the cruise. Two other vendors did not require deposits. I'd be a little nervous booking so far out with anyone that had a large cancellation fee... cause life happens - but it's going to take a lot for me to miss this cruise in 2015.

I don't think there's a clear cut answer to your question ... it depends on the activity and the vendor you choose. Also, the number of ships in port that day can impact availability. ie

- Harv and Marv is well reviewed on this forum so their tours tend to sell out quickly.

- Some bear viewing trips require a permit during peak periods so as soon as the permits are available the tours quickly sell out. Check trip reports by josierhodes and mollanjake for info on when they booked their Anan trips.

IMO, if there's something you REALLY want to do, and you'll be devastated if you miss out, BOOK ASAP. (check the cancellation policy just in case circumstances change over the next several months)

In my research I've seen that Chilkootcharters offered pretty good tours, but they don't have the timing on what I want to do...not that I think I would find it anyway. I'm looking to the the White Rail in the morning ....take a 2-3 hour break and then do some sort of Dog Sled excursion. In the break, I'd be eating lunch in Skagway.

What about Chilkoot's train/bus combo with dog cart ride, which also includes lunch? Seems like it would meet your requirements.

What about Chilkoot's train/bus combo with dog cart ride, which also includes lunch? Seems like it would meet your requirements.

Yes! I saw that one but I don't want to eat lunch on the tour. I may end up doing that one though.

I don't think there's a clear cut answer to your question ... it depends on the activity and the vendor you choose. Also, the number of ships in port that day can impact availability. ie

- Harv and Marv is well reviewed on this forum so their tours tend to sell out quickly.

- Some bear viewing trips require a permit during peak periods so as soon as the permits are available the tours quickly sell out. Check trip reports by josierhodes and mollanjake for info on when they booked their Anan trips.

IMO, if there's something you REALLY want to do, and you'll be devastated if you miss out, BOOK ASAP. (check the cancellation policy just in case circumstances change over the next several months)

Zipping over to read those trip reports right now!

Yes! I saw that one but I don't want to eat lunch on the tour. I may end up doing that one though.

Well, if you didn't want to do the dog sledding, I'd recommend the Lake Bennett trip. Better tour and better lunch.

You know, it just means that you will have to go back to Alaska again so you can do things differently the next time. :D I've been to Skagway 7 times and have done round trip train, train/bus to Caribou Crossing, Lake Bennett train/bus, rented a car...

With any excursion that has a finite number of seats such as, planes, helicopters, boats, fishing charters as and example, I would advise booking as far out as possible as these often sell out. Excursions involving coaches and trains are generally less of a problem as additional sections can be added.

Well, if you didn't want to do the dog sledding, I'd recommend the Lake Bennett trip. Better tour and better lunch.

You know, it just means that you will have to go back to Alaska again so you can do things differently the next time. :D I've been to Skagway 7 times and have done round trip train, train/bus to Caribou Crossing, Lake Bennett train/bus, rented a car...

I like the way you think!

We are doing a cruise tour next July on Holland. This past summer after a lot of research and reading reviews we are booked already for excursions. In Juneau we are booked with Harv and Marv and in Skagway we are booked with Trails of 98 tour. I booked these with private companies not through the ship. In Ketchikan we are just going to explore the town on our own. Now I can be rest assured that we will be doing great excursions!

We will be cruising in June 2015 and I have already booked Island Wings Bear Watching, Harv & Marv Whale Watching, FISHES Whale Watching and Glacier Wind Whale Watching --- all popular tours and were booked a year in advance.