Cancelation Policy

JessiKneier

I booked directly through Holland America. They said the money was the travel insurance. However...I had two other cruises booked with travel insurance as well and neither of them charged me a fee. They were Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

OP

Unlike Celebrity and Royal Caribbean -- HAL does not refund your insurance when you cancel a cruise. You will find that if you were to buy insurance from a third party -- they also will not refund your money if you have to cancel a cruise.

We always wait until 1 day before final payment before we buy any insurance.

KK...Is it true that both Celebrity & Royal Carib. will refund your insurance if you purchase it at time of deposit? If that is the case, do their insurance policies give the same protection that HAL's does..IE Cancel for any reason?

If they offer the same protection, why would anyone purchase HAL's insurance prior to final payment?

Edited by serendipity1499

Where can you buy day before final payment and get pre-existing coverage? I know there used to be a few insurers but I'm unsure if they are still offering those policies. HTH?

actually you can buy it from the company I use after final payment. As long as the pre-existing condition is stable for 12 weeks, all is good.

KK...Is it true that both Celebrity & Royal Carib. will refund your insurance if you purchase it at time of deposit? If that is the case, do their insurance policies give the same protection that HAL's does..IE Cancel for any reason?

If they offer the same protection, why would anyone purchase HAL's insurance prior to final payment?

Yes, why indeed?

I believe on Princess you have to buy their insurance at time of booking. Maybe other cruiselines are the same. I don't think you can get the insurance money back from them either.

Well, HAL's insurance for one .... which is what the OP purchased.

On some longer cruises the penalty period does start before the final payment is due and you have to purchase their insurance before the penalty period.... something to watch out for if you are doing a long cruise.

Susan

Well, but HAL's insurance is for cancellation.

The best of their policy provides for only $10,000 medical. Cancellation is insignificant in comparison to how high medical bills could be for bad accident or illness while out of the country. What HAL sells is not travel insurance..... it is cancellation coverage. I always want to be sure of medical and evacuation much more importantly.

actually you can buy it from the company I use after final payment. As long as the pre-existing condition is stable for 12 weeks, all is good.

Actually, that is what I am asking.......

which company?

Do they only sell this policy in Canada or also U.S.

HAL's "Cancel for any reason" covers any reason, and you purchase it the day before final payment date.

Exactly.

I'm not so worried to insure a $6,000 cruise vs $100,000 in potential medical bills. :rolleyes:

It worries me that some cruisers may be buying cruise line coverage and have no idea if they get ill or injured, they have almost no coverage if their regular medical insurance does not pay out of country. Many of the policies recently issued have omitted out of country coverage though they used to provide it.

I hope all those on Medicare know they will not pay out of country in almost all circumstances. What good is HAL cancellation coverage for a serious accident or injury?

Edited by sail7seas

An FYI to all - this is what I have learned the last few years: Not only is insurance different in US versus Canada . . . it is different state-to-state. This can get confusing when someone mentions the "company name" of the insurance they purchased. You might not get any policy at all from that company if you live in the "wrong" state.

We are now on Medicare (with a supplement of course) and I have researched travel insurance to death. I have never found a policy for the state I live in that will cover pre-existing conditions if you don't purchase within 21 days of the first deposit on a cruise. I am talking about higher payout policies ... not $15,000 or $25,000 medical coverage.

Just my two cents . . .

Edited to say I do not include "cancel for any reason" on my policies. If I cancel it will be for medical, and that will be covered. I also know I will not get the cost of my insurance refunded.

Edited by Linda&Vern

An FYI to all - this is what I have learned the last few years: Not only is insurance different in US versus Canada . . . it is different state-to-state. This can get confusing when someone mentions the "company name" of the insurance they purchased. You might not get any policy at all from that company if you live in the "wrong" state.

We are now on Medicare (with a supplement of course) and I have researched travel insurance to death. I have never found a policy for the state I live in that will cover pre-existing conditions if you don't purchase within 21 days of the first deposit on a cruise. I am talking about higher payout policies ... not $15,000 or $25,000 medical coverage.

Just my two cents . . .

Edited to say I do not include "cancel for any reason" on my policies. If I cancel it will be for medical, and that will be covered.

Thank you,

This is why I am pushing this point.

My reading has resulted in me reaching the same conclusion and I was sincerely hoping someone could head me to a policy about which I was unaware.

When I read over and over about the 'cancel for any reason' it alerts me some people may not understand what they are Not buying.

Edited by sail7seas

Exactly.

I'm not so worried to insure a $6,000 cruise vs $100,000 in potential medical bills. :rolleyes:

It worries me that some cruisers may be buying cruise line coverage and have no idea if they get ill or injured, they have almost no coverage if their regular medical insurance does not pay out of country. Many of the policies recently issued have omitted out of country coverage though they used to provide it.

I hope all those on Medicare know they will not pay out of country in almost all circumstances. What good is HAL cancellation coverage for a serious accident or injury?

It is worthless for medical. If someone is using it for that they aren't doing much reading.

As stated in another post this "insurance" only provides $10,000.00 in medical coverage. That's pocket change if we are seriously ill or injured and must be hospitalized.

And?? Not understanding your point. If you can find an insurance policy that covers adequately for pre-existing and that you can purchase at final payment stage, let me know. We cover ourselves very adequately, I don't need to divulge details.:rolleyes:

And I guess I'm the third. HAL insurance for one. Not sure what else you need to know but you could always google and do some research which is likely what others did. Insurance is a personal choice and there are ways of combining. But this not the kind of help the OP was looking for.

That is my point, Lizzie.

I have done the reading and cannot find the kinds of policies those two posters referred to. The way I read it was they are buying policy day before final payment that covers pre-existing condition and that is what I am seeking. I buy medical coverage within the specified time in order to have pre-existing. I would prefer to purchase at final payment time but after Reading lots of policies, I have not found that.

HAL coverage is cancellation and not what I am as concerned to insure. My priority is medical coverage. Ten Thousand is ridiculously low unless one has other medical coverage that pays outside the country.

Edited by sail7seas

Actually, that is what I am asking.......

which company?

Do they only sell this policy in Canada or also U.S.

I believe you can buy this in both countries.

You can buy medical, just cancellation or a combination thereof.

Is it against the rules here to name a company?

If it isn't I will post tomorrow

Yes, better to save the 50 page threads for something important like apple pie:D.

What? You didn't like the fun thread? All we were trying to do is try to wipe the cynicism out of the boards. Put some cheer into things and have some fun.

A little bit of fun never hurt anyone.

Sounds like you need a piece of apple pie. May I slice?:D

While we have what we view as good travel insurance, we are always looking for something better.

There was a thread at some point over the past three months or so where specific insurance companies were named, so I look forward to your post tomorrow.

What? You didn't like the fun thread? All we were trying to do is try to wipe the cynicism out of the boards. Put some cheer into things and have some fun.

A little bit of fun never hurt anyone.

Sounds like you need a piece of apple pie. May I slice?:D

Kazu,

Thank you.

I don't think it is against CC rules to post the name of travel insurance one uses.

[quote name='Fouremco'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]While we have what we view as good travel insurance, we are always looking for something better.

There was a thread at some point over the past three months or so where specific insurance companies were named, so I look forward to your post tomorrow.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Kazu,
Thank you.
I don't think it is against CC rules to post the name of travel insurance one uses.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Still up so if it's not against the rules, we use RBC insurance, they have offices in all of North America t o the best of my knowledge

[quote name='Linda&Vern'][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]We now have the "post count police"? Kind of a rude post wasn't it? [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to slice you a piece of Apple pie too:D
We all need to smile more and relax - if a piece of pie works then I'll
Take the medicine;)

[quote name='kazu']Still up so if it's not against the rules, we use RBC insurance, they have offices in all of North America t o the best of my knowledge[/QUOTE]

[B] THANK You, Kazu.

I will look into it and see if it would work for me.
I appreciate your help. :)

[/B]

[quote name='kazu']Still up so if it's not against the rules, we use RBC insurance, they have offices in all of North America t o the best of my knowledge[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Many thanks, Kazu. I will have to take a good look at them tomorrow.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Linda&Vern'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]We now have the "post count police"? Kind of a rude post wasn't it? [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

Yes I guess it was. But it's also not nice to hi-jack someone else's thread, is it? I apologise for my rudeness, but I tend to be direct and to the point.

[quote name='cruz chic']Yes, why indeed?

I believe on Princess you have to buy their insurance at time of booking. Maybe other cruiselines are the same. I don't think you can get the insurance money back from them either.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I asked only about Celebrity & Royal Carib.., not Princess..

The OP claims according to post No. 7 in this thread, that he booked on both Celebrity & Royal Carib, purchased their insurance & when he cancelled they also refunded his insurance $$$.. That is unbelievable to me, because no other insurance company would do that..But, IMO KK's post seemed to confirm that it is true..

My question to KK was: If this is true why would anyone ever cruise on HAL & purchase their insurance..[/SIZE] Edited by serendipity1499

We often book over a year before we sail. My TA sells a Travel Guard policy that includes cancellation, 50K medical and 500 K evacuation insurance per insured - we purchase it when we make our deposit, but we do not have to pay the premium for the whole cost of the trip at that time to get pre-existing conditions - we pay a dollar amount that covers the amount of our deposit - as our deposits increase we add to the premium, and, of course, with final payment, we pay the remainder due to cover the whole cost of the trip. This secures our coverage for pre-existing conditions without a huge cash layout months before we travel. If we had to cancel after penalty date, of course, we would not expect to get back any of the premiums we have paid.

We have also had occasion to change our booking (to book a different cruise or different segment of the same cruise which causes the original booking to be cancelled) before final payment and penalty dates - and as long as we book another cruise when we cancel or change the current booking - the premium and insurance travel to the new booking.

I do believe that this is a policy that my TA's agency negotiates for their clients and may not be identical to other policies offered by Travel Guard.

[quote name='arzz']We often book over a year before we sail. My TA sells a Travel Guard policy that includes cancellation, 50K medical and 500 K evacuation insurance per insured - we purchase it when we make our deposit, but we do not have to pay the premium for the whole cost of the trip at that time to get pre-existing conditions - we pay a dollar amount that covers the amount of our deposit - as our deposits increase we add to the premium, and, of course, with final payment, we pay the remainder due to cover the whole cost of the trip. This secures our coverage for pre-existing conditions without a huge cash layout months before we travel. If we had to cancel after penalty date, of course, we would not expect to get back any of the premiums we have paid.

We have also had occasion to change our booking (to book a different cruise or different segment of the same cruise which causes the original booking to be cancelled) before final payment and penalty dates - and as long as we book another cruise when we cancel or change the current booking - the premium and insurance travel to the new booking.

I do believe that this is a policy that my TA's agency negotiates for their clients and may not be identical to other policies offered by Travel Guard.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Thanks for that info.. Our TA also sells the Travel Guard Policy, but believe we've always paid for it up front..We've never cancelled a cruise or had to change a booking so not sure, as I only keep our final statements... Downloaded your post & will check with our TA the next time..

Thanks again for the info..[/SIZE]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Well, at least we stayed on insurance. Sometimes our thread drift can take us much further afloat. :)

Kazu may have given some of us the answer we've been seeking. It was kind of her to share.

[/B][/QUOTE]

When I was at the royal bank last year the person I talked to was really, really pushing this insurance. I had some very simple questions that she could not answer. If you are pushing it you should know a little something about it? That said, it's typical of that bank. This insurance never used to be that great so hopefully it's better now. I have insurance thru my employer so I've never looked in depth since I've worked there. My sister and mom use manulife. I believe there are discussions about insurance names on the board so I have no idea why it would be against the rules. Edited by cruz chic