How early to book a flight from SFO after cruise?

hannahsnana

Yes, first time posting but long time reading on cruise critic! We are on Star Princess returning to SFO on October 18. Latest flight back to NC is 10:59 AM. Is it possible to do this? Other options are nighttime flights. Do they offer luggage check in to airline from ship? I know they don't recommend flights before 12:00 I think. I know it will be stressful but DH wants to try!

You are returning on a Saturday...you would need to be first off the ship, take all your luggage (there is no EZ check for luggage in SFO) with you, get a taxi and get to the airport which is not close...

It is possible but it would be a shame to have all that stress at the end of a nice cruise...

Check what Princess suggests as the earliest time you should book your air...they know their ports. It might be better to spend the night in SF and take the early flight on Sunday.

The last time we were to leave SF on the Grand...the ship was delayed 4 hours and we did not board until dinner time and departed in the dark.

The city was beautiful all lit up, but I was looking forward to going under the Golden Gate in the daylight.

Hope it works out for you. Smooth sailing.

Yes, first time posting but long time reading on cruise critic! We are on Star Princess returning to SFO on October 18. Latest flight back to NC is 10:59 AM. Is it possible to do this? Other options are nighttime flights. Do they offer luggage check in to airline from ship? I know they don't recommend flights before 12:00 I think. I know it will be stressful but DH wants to try!

For our SF trip in Jan. we have a similar problem. We plan to be one of the first to walk off with our luggage. Our flight leaves SFO at 11:25am.

We are taking a risk and acknowledge it.

Actually I think you could make it...but conditions would have to be just right. You'd need to do walk off disembarkation, grab a cab at the curb and drive directly to the airport. The airport in normal traffic is about 45 minutes away - so that would mean you'd have to be disembarking on a non-commute day.

But I think your choice to stay in the city for a day and head out the next day is the best one :)

Okay, my thoughts were just verified! I love having a leisurely departure from a cruise and this will be one. We will catch the early flight Sunday!

Impressive, someone that hasn't asked for advice and ignore it completely :)

why ruin a good cruise stressing out about yiur flight?

Enjoy breakfast, and let the cruiseline deal with getting your luggage off in the morning.

Impressive, someone that hasn't asked for advice and ignore it completely :)

why ruin a good cruise stressing out about yiur flight?

Enjoy breakfast, and let the cruiseline deal with getting your luggage off in the morning.

I don't understand your comment ... seems like the person you are quoting and responding to will overnite and fly out a day later, not same day as disembark ... well, and that person is the OP, so they did ask.

Edited by pms4104

Okay, my thoughts were just verified! I love having a leisurely departure from a cruise and this will be one. We will catch the early flight Sunday!

That's a great idea. I have sailed out of SF so many times and usually am home by 10 AM when disembarking there....and then there was that one time!! Murphy's Law, you know....what a nightmare it was down on the Embarcadero. The one time you really need to be somewhere and it is held up. Yeah, I wouldn't let the stress of booking an early flight ruin my trip at the very end. I would also look into tours they may have that terminate at the airport. It could be a kind of fun way to spend the day and not have to worry about finding a place to store your luggage....only if it works for you to leave on the same day of the cruise, though.

By the way, you will also have the option to look into the cheapest airports to fly out of....Oakland is actually easier to get to from downtown than SFO...in my opinion. Super Shuttle will actually get you there for about $40. San Jose isn't as close but might be worth the trek if the pricing is a lot better. Can you tell, I do a lot of shopping for travel bargains?? If you are ok with dealing with your own luggage.. you can jump on the BART train --which goes to both the Oakland and San Francisco airports. Oh never mind, the Oakland airport BART extension is scheduled to open in November and just remembered you said you were going in October.