Rebel with FTTF

stnic_ca

Agreed! If you think you will drink 5 or more drinks per day it is worth it to me. It includes sodas, but not bottled water:confused: Drinks are roughly $8 plus the 15% gratuity. The cheers program is around $50-$55 per day making it around $200-$220 (I can't remember exactly, LOL) for your four day cruise. It is very easy to drink 5 or 6 per day unless you will spend a lot of time off the ship in port. I don't usually get off the ship as I go to The Bahamas so much it's not worth it to me, I prefer to enjoy the pool while everyone is gone:D. Wait staff on Sensation Lido deck are great. Look for a little guy they call "I wanna " and tell him Miss Rebecca says hi:D

Definitley will do! Only 49 days left. I can't wait. :D

We are Platinum---there I said it!!!!! We love FTTF because before FTTF we had to lug our carry-ons all over the ship until our cabin was ready. My DH uses a walker, so I am the one who has to do the carrying most of the time.

Now, the cabin is ready because we were granted that privilege when FTTF was instituted. It is so handy to drop things off and just go to lunch or walk around the ship. I am hoping though, that on Liberty we will get the early luggage which is another benefit of FTTF because on Dream the delivery people didn't deliver ours until everyone else on our floor got theirs. I do know now that we are to be sure that we get an orange sticker put on the luggage, so hopefully, we will get our luggage soon after we board.

Thanks all of you for purchasing FTTF and if you are in line at CS and I happen to be there, you won't get any comments from me!

Thank you for confirming that Platinum & Diamond cruisers have also benefited from FTTF :). On my last cruise, I did not hear about any Suite passengers so I don't know when they boarded, but I was directly after Platinum/Diamond passengers.

Ok so everyone here is for the positive side so I guess I will be the negative one .

My problem is not with people who purchase FTTF it's with Carnival for offering it . It is or should be a perk earned by loyal customers who repeat cruise with carnival. A benefit of repetition so to speak , however with that being said it's no different than being at Disney or other theme parks , waiting in line all day and along comes someone who pays extra to not wait and steps in line in front of you so to speak .

Perks have no meaning if bought or sold instead of earned through loyalty .

On the flip side , no one really know who paid into the program unless the person advertises it .and on our most recent cruise the baggage handlers at the port added FTTF stickers over our VIP luggage tags to get our bags to our room quicker .

I have been a "loyal" customer for over a decade, but I do not live close to a cruise port and was not able to take 10 cruises before Carnival changed the conditions required to become Platinum. If that had not happened, FTTF probably wouldn't exist.

Your phrase about perks having no meaning if they are purchased rather than earned makes no sense IMO. If the convenience is worth the extra money for some of us, it's definitely "meaningful". I would never try to convince someone to do it if they are not interested, and it has actually benefited those of you who were lucky enough to attain Platinum or Diamond status before the rules changed.

And to anyone who is basically saying, between the lines, that FTTF purchasers are suckers, I don't understand what the attitude is about. Nobody is saying you MUST do this, so why do you care? I personally don't gamble and consider it a waste of MY money, but what you do with YOUR money is your own doggone business and none of mine, so I will not be making snarky comments about it :cool:

I have been a "loyal" customer for over a decade, but I do not live close to a cruise port and was not able to take 10 cruises before Carnival changed the conditions required to become Platinum. If that had not happened, FTTF probably wouldn't exist.

I disagree completely. I think it is possible that we could have seen Faster to the Fun before the VIFP Club was introduced. Months before the loyalty program was changed, a survey was distributed to many past guests about paying extra for perks. These matched Faster to the Fun.

Below is a link to the survey thread from March 2012

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1588857

Edit: As a convenience, I quoted it below.

Hopefully I'm not duplicating something that has already been posted...my apologies if I am.

Yesterday I got an email with the following request: At Carnival, we're always working hard to find ways to make your "Fun Ship" experience more enjoyable. And input from you, our valued guest, is very important to the decisions we make to improve your "Fun Ship" experience.

I followed the link to the survey and basically they wanted me to prioritize the following according to importance to me...and then went on to ask if I would be willing to pay extra for these services.

Please review each of the following services that could potentially be available on your next cruise:

PRIORITY/EXPRESS BOARDING: The opportunity to board the ship prior to general boarding or the opportunity to board the ship via an Express line if general boarding has already begun.

STATEROOM AVAILABILITY: Your stateroom is guaranteed to be ready when you board the ship.

EXPRESS LUGGAGE: Your luggage delivered to your stateroom within 90 minutes of boarding.

PRIORITY DINING RESERVATIONS: Priority reservations at onboard restaurants such as Steakhouse, Cucino del Capitano.

PORT OF CALL TENDER PRIORITY: The opportunity to debark in port prior to general port debarkation.

DEDICATED GUEST SERVICES ACCESS: Designated space at Guest Services desk and dedicated Guest Services phone number.

PRIORITY DEBARKATION: The opportunity to debark early upon return to home port.

LATE DEBARKATION: The opportunity to debark late upon return to home port.

None of these were important enough for me to want to pay extra...and it bothers me that they want to start charging for "special privileges".

Did anyone else get this survey...and what are your thoughts?

Edited by Disconnections

So my wife purchased FTTF, and encouraged the rest of our party too as well. So then we started reading about all the backlash from other cruise passengers, who don't know about the program (or weren't as timely). As well as the Platinum and Diamond members. Is it wrong of me to look forward to passing up people and hobknobbing with the early embarkationERS? LOL. I mean it's only $50!

I can't wait until someone tells me off.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

The only way someone not in your party is going to find out is if you tell them. So if you are worried about it, don't tell them.

Edited by Cuizer2

I am about 32 points away from being Platinum. I have bought FTTF for 3 of my past cruises and I have already bought it for my cruise in April. It has been a very good value for me. I get to go to my cabin, unpack, and rest for a while. I wait until all the other cabins are open then I head to the Lido to eat. While others are just getting to their cabins, I can eat and not have problems finding a place to sit or dealing with long lines.

I love being able to by pass the long lines at GS. The one and only time I have had an issue was the first time I bought it. I was in line at GS on the last night and some old guy kept asking me what level I was. I told him, the one that allows me to stand in this line. I never told him I was FTTF, I didn't figure it was any of his business. It came in handy in Grand Cayman for boarding the tenders...I was able to bypass hundreds of people.

And disembarking is now a breeze. I chose to do Self Assist and I am off the ship and in my car with in 30 minutes of the ship clearing.

Until I reach Platinum...I will continue to buy FTTF each cruise if its available. For me...$50 is money well spent.

Edited by Raven Days

DW and I generally purchase Suites and have "priority" boarding. The FTTF program to me just insures that I can place my carry-ons in my cabin when I board and not be encumbered with them until the normal time that cabins are ready for occupancy. IMHO, when compared to the $5,000 to $7,000 which I generally pay for the cruise for myself and my DW, plus an additional $1,500 to $2,000 for round-trip airfare, transfers and cab fares, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels and meals etc.; $50 for a little convenience is not really all that much. Besides, if I didn't spend the $50 on FTTF; my DW would probably spend it on something else anyway!!! LOL

Just my thoughts.

To me it's not worth the money.

The only thing I DO LIKE about FTTF is when it does piss off people who whine about their entitlements. :D

Enjoy your FTTF, the complainers will secretly love it as well since it gives them another excuse to start every post with "So I am Platinum..."

I was reading this... And I thought, this sounds like someone I know. Lo and behold. Cdnmr. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I used FTTF last cruise as a treat and to test the program out. Hubby has back pain and can't sit or stand for long periods of time. I loved how we got on quickly and went to the dedicated line anytime..it works for us. Bottom line if it works for you then hey awesome and if it doesn't then don't buy it. Simple. But sometimes the self entitled folks who bellow and pitch a fit just amaze me...this last cruise this very loud, very ANNOYING woman bellowed at the Plat/Dia/FTTF line about how the ONE lady at GS was NOT attending to HER AT THAT VERY MOMENT but heaven forbid a lowly guest in the regular line! That's all I kept hearing from her. Finally the beast was appeased when she was waited on. It was five minutes after boarding and 3 more GS workers had arrived to help. Every time I saw her on the 8 day cruise I noticed there were hardly any other guests around her because she was busy bellowing about something not being to her satisfaction. Gosh to just be that unhappy all of the time must be hard on her health. I'm so glad I never heard her ripping FTTF guests while in line or I would have told her off. She was rude, pompous, annoying and quiet frankly just an ass. I can say the only thing that was said in passing was in the priority debarking lounge I heard one guy say wow it's full in here , must be all those FTTF people. :rolleyes: Oh yeah there are 9000 of us on each cruise! LOL

Last year we had FTTF for the first time. We had to go to Guest Services the first day (horrors) because of an account issue. The regular line was very, very long. But we walked straight up to the window at the VIP line, which was great.

A platinum PAX came up behind us and began to pitch a big, loud fit that we were in the wrong line, that this line was only for plat/diamond PAX (as she waved her card around). People were staring as I quietly explained we had purchased FTTF, and were allowed to use this line. The GS staff member was even trying to explain to her, but she wouldn't shut up long enough to listen.

Finally I put up my hand in the best "talk to the hand!" manner and tuned her out. Geez -- what a witch! :p

When someone does something like that and I am completely in my rights to be there I just considered that as emotion without the benefit of intellect and ignore the person.

I disagree completely. I think it is possible that we could have seen Faster to the Fun before the VIFP Club was introduced. Months before the loyalty program was changed, a survey was distributed to many past guests about paying extra for perks. These matched Faster to the Fun.

Below is a link to the survey thread from March 2012

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1588857

Edit: As a convenience, I quoted it below.

I never saw this survey, so you are probably right! Whether or not I choose to pay for a specific privilege, I like that there are options. :)

I never saw this survey, so you are probably right! Whether or not I choose to pay for a specific privilege, I like that there are options. :)

Definitely... having extra options would never be a bad thing and can only enhance our cruises further if we find value in them.

Edited by Disconnections

For those that do not wish to mix with the "commoners" on a cruise, there are other cruise lines that have "special" areas for these "special" people. There is even a ship being built as we speak that will have "classes" and the "classes" will NOT mix. Sail on them if you cannot stand to be around regular people. Oh wait, Platinum and Diamond card holders put their pants on one leg at a time too? The horror!!:eek:

Seriously, if you are going to complain about every little thing while you are on VACATION, please do not come near me. I personally go on vacation to get away from all that junk!:)

I'm not a fan of it because it does cheapen the benefits I had to earn the hard way. But it is what it is and will respect it. I would never be rude or snobby to anyone who purchases it. In fact, I purchased it for my parents on our upcoming cruise so they could be with us every step of the way.

However, I have seen where the FTTF has backfired. On my February Sunshine cruise there were over 500 platinum and diamond guests. N.O. agents were obviously not prepared for that. It took a while to process that many people. Needless to say they started VIP boarding before we got checked in. No big deal. We weren't in any hurry.

As VIPs got their cards, people started trickling out to general boarding area to get on the ship. The agents started gathering all the FTTFs to one area to start their boarding process. One gentleman had his elderly handicapped mother with him and the agents had promised him front of the FTTF line.

However, remember, the VIPs are trickling out of their lounge and had to cut thru this line to get onboard. That gentleman yelled at the top of his lungs how rude we were and that his handicapped mother should go first.

Needless to say most of the VIPs just turned our heads and kept walking. But with several hundred VIPs doing that, he was a very irate customer all week.

Just my two cents worth.

I'm not a fan of it because it does cheapen the benefits I had to earn the hard way. But it is what it is and will respect it. I would never be rude or snobby to anyone who purchases it. In fact, I purchased it for my parents on our upcoming cruise so they could be with us every step of the way.

However, I have seen where the FTTF has backfired. On my February Sunshine cruise there were over 500 platinum and diamond guests. N.O. agents were obviously not prepared for that. It took a while to process that many people. Needless to say they started VIP boarding before we got checked in. No big deal. We weren't in any hurry.

As VIPs got their cards, people started trickling out to general boarding area to get on the ship. The agents started gathering all the FTTFs to one area to start their boarding process. One gentleman had his elderly handicapped mother with him and the agents had promised him front of the FTTF line.

However, remember, the VIPs are trickling out of their lounge and had to cut thru this line to get onboard. That gentleman yelled at the top of his lungs how rude we were and that his handicapped mother should go first.

Needless to say most of the VIPs just turned our heads and kept walking. But with several hundred VIPs doing that, he was a very irate customer all week.

Just my two cents worth.

I'm sorry, I understood that FTTF benefits all VIPS, because before that the only the only things you got were early boarding without your rooms being ready, and the other services you still EXCLUSIVELY retain. I doubt anyone who has ever cruised Carnival so many times to earn Platinum or Diamond status, did so solely to earn EXCLUSIVE rights. Did you not enjoy yourself on these cruises, or where you just like, "One day, I'm gong to get to get on EVERYTHING first, and none of these commoners will be able to experience that"? :cool:LOL

:rolleyes:C'mon, "Thurston Howell IV" ! It's like 50 people on the whole cruise ship of 2 to 3 THOUSAND people. You can't be that much of an elitist to be bothered by the few services someone had to BUY to get what you EARNED just by enjoying yourself.

Is there also a hierarchy between those who earned by booking interior rooms vs. those who.booked suites? LOL:confused:

I doubt anyone who has ever cruised Carnival so many times to earn Platinum or Diamond status, did so solely to earn EXCLUSIVE rights. Did you not enjoy yourself on these cruises, or where you just like, "One day, I'm gong to get to get on EVERYTHING first, and none of these commoners will be able to experience that"? :cool:LOL

Ever heard of a mileage run or a mattress run?

Edited by Disconnections

Yes, but that's why priceline and hotels.com were invented. There is nothing new under the sun. ;)

Then you would know those don't count as a qualifying stay and you can't BRG Priceline.

Edited by Disconnections

Then you would know those don't count as a qualifying stay and you can't BRG Priceline.

:rolleyes:Is this a George Clooney movie or something?

Right. But FTTF is NOT comparative to VIP Clubs. It has ONE aspect.... early embarkation, room readiness and tender priority that is AFTER VIPs. I didn't receive a cruise fare discount. In fact, I paid extra for the SERVICE.

Stop acting like this is a debate about Affirmative Action or something. Geesh!

Enjoy it! Hold your head high as you pass those waiting for a tender, own it, you are somebody! Saunter up to the guest services desk, you dont need to run, you have your own line, and the best part, watching those schmucks toting around their luggage for three to four hours on embarkation day, while you can walk right into your cabin. Dont be upset at all, you have very smart wife.:):p

LOL love it!

:rolleyes:Is this a George Clooney movie or something?

Right. But FTTF is NOT comparative to VIP Clubs. It has ONE aspect.... early embarkation, room readiness and tender priority that is AFTER VIPs. I didn't receive a cruise fare discount. In fact, I paid extra for the SERVICE.

Stop acting like this is a debate about Affirmative Action or something. Geesh!

I doubt anyone who has ever cruised Carnival so many times to earn Platinum or Diamond status, did so solely to earn EXCLUSIVE rights. Did you not enjoy yourself on these cruises, or where you just like, "One day, I'm gong to get to get on EVERYTHING first, and none of these commoners will be able to experience that"?

As far as I'm concerned, you weren't only talking about Faster to the Fun. You mentioned that you don't think others care about status enough to stay somewhere, specifically to achieve a higher status or requalify for their current tier. Many elitists care about boarding before others, seat upgrades to F or BE, upgrades to the best available room and other various benefits that can lead to a DYKWIA.

I asked if you knew what a mileage run or a mattress run are. You said you are aware and mentioned that is what a discount online travel agency is for. Those who care about status know that stays booked through nearly all travel agencies are not considered an eligible stay and you will not receive stay/night credit, your benefits and the calculative currency. This makes them worthless for a mileage run or a mattress run. Many people fly all over the world for no business or leisure purpose, simply to make it to the next tier, whether it be 125k or 250k miles. A mattress run is staying at a hotel for no other purpose than to reach the required amount of stays or nights for a promotion or your status.

Edit: Mileage Run Discussion, should you be interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/

Edited by Disconnections

As far as I'm concerned, you weren't only talking about Faster to the Fun. You mentioned that you don't think others care about status enough to stay somewhere, specifically to achieve a higher status or requalify for their current tier. Many elitists care about boarding before others, seat upgrades to F or BE, upgrades to the best available room and other various benefits that can lead to a DYKWIA.

I asked if you knew what a mileage run or a mattress run are. You said you are aware and mentioned that is what a discount online travel agency is for. Those who care about status know that stays booked through nearly all travel agencies are not considered an eligible stay and you will not receive stay/night credit, your benefits and the calculative currency. This makes them worthless for a mileage run or a mattress run. Many people fly all over the world for no business or leisure purpose, simply to make it to the next tier, whether it be 125k or 250k miles. A mattress run is staying at a hotel for no other purpose than to reach the required amount of stays or nights for a promotion or your status.

Edit: Mileage Run Discussion, should you be interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/

Actually I was ONLY referring to Faster to the Fun. Not Faster to the Status. You ventured off into talking about FFM and hotel loyalty rewards. To contextualize my comment, I meant that FTTF has not taken away from VIPs, nor granted special future benefits to the consumer. So I'm puzzled and disheartened by those who feel like it somehow intrudes on or devalues something that has no effect on them but to just say "I was here first because I've been traveling for years, now I'm platinum/diamond. So get out the line....from BEHIND me.....and go wait with the 'commoners'".

BTW...Cruising is not a necessary form of travel, unlike flying or hotel stays. It's for enjoyment and experience. So that's why I mentioned that they didn't cruise so many times to solely reach a status.

Can't we all just have fun? Loosen those travel agent panties up!

If you can't tell by now, I'm an argumentative jerk. Even if you win, you're never gonna win, because I don't care! I'M A REBEL! LOL

Edited by stnic_ca

Actually I was ONLY referring to Faster to the Fun. Not Faster to the Status. You ventured off into talking about FFM and hotel loyalty rewards. To contextualize my comment, I meant that FTTF has not taken away from VIPs, nor granted special future benefits to the consumer. So I'm puzzled and disheartened by those who feel like it somehow intrudes on or devalues something that has no effect on them but to just say "I was here first because I've been traveling for years, now I'm platinum/diamond. So get out the line....from BEHIND me.....and go wait with the 'commoners'".

BTW...Cruising is not a necessary form of travel, unlike flying or hotel stays. It's for enjoyment and experience. So that's why I mentioned that they didn't cruise so many times to solely reach a status.

Can't we all just have fun? Loosen those travel agent panties up!

If you can't tell by now, I'm an argumentative jerk. Even if you win, you're never gonna win, because I don't care! I'M A REBEL! LOL

You didn't say the below?

Edit: By the way, flying and hotels aren't necessary forms of travel, as you mentioned they are.

I doubt anyone who has ever cruised Carnival so many times to earn Platinum or Diamond status, did so solely to earn EXCLUSIVE rights. Did you not enjoy yourself on these cruises, or where you just like, "One day, I'm gong to get to get on EVERYTHING first, and none of these commoners will be able to experience that"? :cool:LOL
Edited by Disconnections

Yawn. I mean cruising is PURELY for fun. If it's semantics you want. Please continue. "But wake me when you done. I guess you'll be the only one having fun." -Vanity 6

Loosen up!

Are those who are using low cost transatlantic cruises as a means of transportation to visit their seasonal homes in Europe/USA cruising "purely for fun?" Many of them are doing so to avoid paying for an international flight.

Are those who choose to retire and live onboard a cruise ship because it is cheaper than living in a nursing home doing so because it is "purely for fun?"

Edited by Disconnections