Agent discount question

datonesanchez

After doing some research it seems like cruise discounts given by agents are because they buy rooms in bulk and rebook/sell them at a discount to their clients. Would they still give a discount when there is a great deal like the "3 For Free Sale" going on right now on princess' main page? Debating if I should visit a travel agent, it looks like I need to book immediately on the main page to catch this deal.

After doing some research it seems like cruise discounts given by agents are because they buy rooms in bulk and rebook/sell them at a discount to their clients. Would they still give a discount when there is a great deal like the "3 For Free Sale" going on right now on princess' main page? Debating if I should visit a travel agent, it looks like I need to book immediately on the main page to catch this deal.

Best of both worlds: Snag the savings if it appeals to you and then request quotes from reputable travel agents to see if they can "sweeten the pot".

Our cruise is not part of a group purchase but our TA still gave us a nice discount on the price but no OBC. I booked it first, then turned it over, BTW.

TAs can book a "group" for a cruise and will get them at a lower price from Princess than if they booked only individual rooms.

Some TAs will share this discount with the passengers, some will not.

However, any deal and included amenities such as Princess OBC you can find on the Princess web site can be offered by a TA that has group space, even by a TA that is willing to pass on a group discount to you.

It sounds like you may be new to cruising. You might not be aware that you can book a cruise directly through a cruise lines' website to secure a rate and cabin, then transfer the booking to a TA later on. This gives you time to shop TAs for rates. Just be sure to ask if they charge fees for booking/changes/fare drops/cancellations. This can eat up any savings, so try to find a "no fee" agent.

If a cruise you book directly with a line is after final payment date (close to sailing), however, my understanding is you cannot transfer to a TA.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity