Valor Question - Looking for a Positive

t1adams

I'm trying to look at any positive I can for being downgraded on our upcoming cruise in the spring. Switching the Liberty for the Valor was a kick in the gut. My dh is really upset with Carnival taking the 2.0 upgrades away when we paid more for this cruise than any other before.

Is it true that the Valor still has tablecloths on the tables every night and is still using the older menus??? I sure hope so. :o Can anyone confirm this for me? Just trying to cling to any positive about the recent downgrade.:rolleyes:

Yes table cloths and older menus. We loved the Valor last fall and wish they hadn't made the switch. For us it meant the loss of 1of those coveted 6k rooms. That being said we have decided to really try and have a positive attitude and know we will have a wonderful time.

Yes table cloths and older menus. We loved the Valor last fall and wish they hadn't made the switch. For us it meant the loss of 1of those coveted 6k rooms. That being said we have decided to really try and have a positive attitude and know we will have a wonderful time.

I would GLADLY switch to get the Liberty back!!! I was sooo looking forward to having the 2.0 upgrades! We experienced them this past April's spring break on the Glory and was so looking forward to enjoying them again. And then they took this away. I think you will enjoy the Liberty's upgrades. My dh and son fell in love with the Guy's Burgers and the Burrito bar. I was going to try the martini tasting for the first time on this upcoming cruise. Now that won't happen. We've sailed the Valor before and enjoyed those front scenic ocean view rooms. They're nice! But I'd rather have the 2.0 upgrades.

I would also be upset being downgraded to a non-2.0 ship.

However, if you look at the reviews of the Valor, she gets pretty good reviews, considering.:o

I am torn.

I love the 2.0, but there are things you can get on the Valor that you cannot get on the upgraded ships, such as fries with cheese:D:D

LOL

It's always about the FOOD.........

Read the member reviews....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.:D

Assuming the Valor still has the old-style productions show and music and hasn't been "upgraded":rolleyes: to the Playlist Production shows, you certainly have a plus in the Valor column. And they still may have the martini tasting. I've done that on several ships without 2.0 upgrades.

I would also be upset being downgraded to a non-2.0 ship.

However, if you look at the reviews of the Valor, she gets pretty good reviews, considering.:o

I am torn.

I love the 2.0, but there are things you can get on the Valor that you cannot get on the upgraded ships, such as fries with cheese:D:D

LOL

It's always about the FOOD.........

Read the member reviews....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.:D

Thank you for the words of encouragement. We sailed on the Valor before, in spring of '13 out of San Juan. As much as I enjoyed that cruise, it was mostly about the ports and not the ship. Then this past spring break we sailed on the Glory and enjoyed the 2.0 upgrades for the first time. WOW. It was really great! However, I didn't care for the removal of table cloths and that new very limited menu. All my favorite desserts were taken off too. So I'm hoping the Valor CONTINUES AT LEAST with the table cloths at least until next spring!!! My luck, they'll take that away too.:rolleyes:

We have sailed on both. We were on Liberty the month after her 2.0 upgrades and Valor last April. The only differences I really noticed was the lack of a Guys burgers. They have a bar where the Alchemy bar is, they have burritos made to order, there is a bar on the lido deck, just not the blue iguana and redfrog rum bars. The ships are virtually identical and was really didnt miss the 2.0 upgrades. The shows were good also. Yes, there are tablecloths and the old menu. so all is good. Go and enjoy.

I'm trying to look at any positive I can for being downgraded on our upcoming cruise in the spring. Switching the Liberty for the Valor was a kick in the gut. My dh is really upset with Carnival taking the 2.0 upgrades away when we paid more for this cruise than any other before.

Is it true that the Valor still has tablecloths on the tables every night and is still using the older menus??? I sure hope so. :o Can anyone confirm this for me? Just trying to cling to any positive about the recent downgrade.:rolleyes:

If the cruise is in the spring and 2.0 is so important, you've got plenty of time to cancel and rebook on a ship with 2.0. Problem solved.

The 2.0 " Upgrades " are nothing more than revenue enhancement for Carnival. Change things around a bit, give it a new name and you have your 2.0 which is mostly new pay venues and redecorating and naming of bar areas.

Edited by n6uqqq

The 2.0 " Upgrades " are nothing more than revenue enhancement for Carnival. Change things around a bit, give it a new name and you have your 2.0 which is mostly new pay venues and redecorating and naming of bar areas.

You summed it up:D But people choose to call it an upgrade:eek:

We've been on both recently, Valor (May 2013) and Liberty (April 2014). I've mentioned the difference on a couple of other threads but won't do so here since you've been on Glory (we were on here too, in 2010 before the upgrades) with the upgrades. One of the biggest differences we noticed between Valor and Liberty was Valor seemed to have more staff (wait, bar, bar waiters on Lido, etc.) than Liberty did, keeping wait times at a minimum. On Liberty the bars, including Red Frog and Blue Iguana, didn't seem to be staffed adequately, so there were definitely wait times for service. Add to that there weren't as many bar waiters making the rounds on the Lido deck or Panorama deck, we only noticed a few, so that added to the lines at the bars. Even the bar at the aft adult only pool was very busy at times. The service times in the MDR were much longer on Liberty. Our waiters were very nice, but we felt bad for them because they looked so rushed. We never had time to visit with and get to know them, as we did on Valor. I LOVED Guy Burgers but we never got to try the Blue Iguana since when it was open, the lines were always long, so we didn't bother. Blue Iguana was only open certain times for breakfast and again for lunch, so there were times where we just missed it too. I see KPfromCT mentioned the fries with cheese sauce...I second that! :D I loved that I was able to add cheese sauce to the fries AND the chicken tenders, which I also missed.

Exactly our sentiments....and what they have tried to sell to pax with 2.0 is NOT an upgrade but a downgrade in our book. Shows are inferior, menus inferior...no big deal on Guy's burgers, could always get burgers at grill in aft of ship....just a "bill of goods" and alot of hype about really downgrading. We love the Valor and hope when we go on her again in January that there have been no fake "upgrades" added.

Thanks guys! Been on 14 Carnival cruises but was a "little" down when learned that the Valor with no 2.0 was replacing the Liberty for our April 2015 cruise. Been on a ship with most of the 2.0 and you guys are right! You can still get a burger and Mexican food and a cold beer is still a cold beer no matter what the name of the bar is! Thanks again!

Glad to hear the positives as well, wife and I are on the May 23rd sailing of the Valor next year and were bummed as well when the Liberty was taken away. Wasn't as concerned with the 2.0 upgrades, but more with any refreshed cabin decor, etc. I don't know what all they do in dry dock, but we sprung for a much nicer room than usual and were looking forward to fresher accommodations.

There will still be people who feel the loss of 2.0 is the end of the world. Not so. All it's done is cause Lido congestion and give drinkers a new bar to hang out at, put smokers out in the wind on 10, and miss a Guy burger (and that's not earth shattering).

Soooo exactly WHERE are all those smokers aloud to smoke on the Valor? I don't remember any smokers on the Glory (2.0) around where we were eating on Lido and I liked that!! PLEASE tell me this is true on Valor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad to hear the positives as well, wife and I are on the May 23rd sailing of the Valor next year and were bummed as well when the Liberty was taken away. Wasn't as concerned with the 2.0 upgrades, but more with any refreshed cabin decor, etc. I don't know what all they do in dry dock, but we sprung for a much nicer room than usual and were looking forward to fresher accommodations.

"Semi-good news".... One of the reasons they're putting off the 2.0 on the Valor is because the Valor did get a semi upgrade in 2012. They refurbished all carpeting and bedding and some of the room amenities. So it will be "fresher" than a totally non-upgraded ship.

Soooo exactly WHERE are all those smokers aloud to smoke on the Valor? I don't remember any smokers on the Glory (2.0) around where we were eating on Lido and I liked that!! PLEASE tell me this is true on Valor too.

On Valor last year when we were on her, since it's not upgraded yet, smoking was still allowed on Lido Deck (9) on the starboard (right) side of the ship, including the pool bar there. The port side, including the bar, was non-smoking. This was last year though. With the crackdown on smoking goes into affect (eliminating it from balconies), it's very possible that smoking areas will be the same fleetwide (including ships without the upgrades), which could possibly mean that no smoking on Valor's Lido deck. I don't know how this will all work out though.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

On Valor last year when we were on her, since it's not upgraded yet, smoking was still allowed on Lido Deck (9) on the starboard (right) side of the ship, including the pool bar there. The port side, including the bar, was non-smoking. This was last year though. With the crackdown on smoking goes into affect (eliminating it from balconies), it's very possible that smoking areas will be the same fleetwide (including ships without the upgrades), which could possibly mean that no smoking on Valor's Lido deck. I don't know how this will all work out though.

The non smoking on 2.0 ships with the Guy burgers. I see no reason to move smokers up a deck when there is no eating/serving being done there. There is plenty of areas on Lido that are smoke free for people to go to.

The non smoking on 2.0 ships with the Guy burgers. I see no reason to move smokers up a deck when there is no eating/serving being done there. There is plenty of areas on Lido that are smoke free for people to go to.

Thanks for confirming. I didn't know if they'd change that too or not since it was over a year ago we were on her.

For some reason I'm having trouble understanding what you guys are saying. For example what is this?

"The non smoking on 2.0 ships with the Guy burgers. " That's not a sentence. Sorry, I'm confused.

Here is what I remember: 2.0 upgrade didn't allow for smoking anywhere on Lido inside in the buffet thru Guys Burgers and Burrito Bar. The Valor had smoking in those areas. I hated it because those were still outdoor eating areas and I could never enjoy a burger out near the pool at a table due to smoke. Guys Burgers or not, it's STILL an eating venue. So that said, does Valor still allow smoking in that area now? (I recall them smoking there on Valor in '13)

Edited by t1adams