In the beginning stages of plannings and can use some guidance

ImaginationCruiseBride

So....my husband and I are looking at an Alaskan cruise next summer...leaning toward September, but we are open. Anyway, we would like to do a round trip out of either SF or most likely Seattle so we can drive to port. Here is our situation, my husband cruised Alaska on Holland several years ago with his ex wife, and he said that of course the scenery was absolutely stunning, but he was bored more often than not, although he did like the crows nest (the ex really didn't know how to have fun and was a complete stick in the mud so that could be why he was bored...I'm the total opposite), anyway, that was his one and only cruise experience until we got married a month ago on a Carnival cruise, he was surprised at all there was to do 24/7 on Carnival and we had a blast (it was our honeymoon how could it not be fun?). I've only ever sailed on Carnival, and as I've said he's only cruised the once on Holland and once on Carnival, so we clearly aren't tied to any cruiseline...

So we like to have fun, we are an older couple (both in our 50's) but we do like to go out and have a drink and people watch, we do want comfort, and we do want the whole cruise atmosphere...weighing price/amenities/cleanliness (we don't want a worn out ship and have heard horrible things about Norwegien but know that some people aren't happy unless they are complaining) is there a particular cruiseline/itinerary/schedule we should avoid and taking everything into account... does anybody have any advice? recommendations?

Since you both enjoyed Carnival, why not stick with it? They have two itineraries RT out of Seattle -- the common ports of Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau, then one to Glacier Bay and one to Tracy Arm Fjord. Both of those options are good (my personal preference is Glacier Bay).

Since you both enjoyed Carnival, why not stick with it? They have two itineraries RT out of Seattle -- the common ports of Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau, then one to Glacier Bay and one to Tracy Arm Fjord. Both of those options are good (my personal preference is Glacier Bay).

Sticking to Carnival is my first inclination, but then I started thinking that I hadn't been exposed to other lines, so how can I be sure what I like? Anyway, it's mute anyway because Princess is having a crazy sale!

Sticking to Carnival is my first inclination, but then I started thinking that I hadn't been exposed to other lines, so how can I be sure what I like? Anyway, it's mute anyway because Princess is having a crazy sale!

We're taking Princess to Alaska next week but it's my first time on Princess so I can't recommend it yet. :) All of our previous Alaska cruises have been on Holland, which I really enjoyed but they stopped going to Skagway out of Seattle (they go to Sitka now instead) and that's my favorite port.

Also Carnival only gets to go to Glacier Bay twice each season. Princess, HAL and NCL go there every week.

Princess is the only line that sails RT from San Francisco.

NCL has very new ships in AK - the Pearl runs RT from Seattle and does Glacier Bay.

I don't think you could go wrong with either Princess or NCL or HAL for that matter.

I'm taking my first cruise to Alaska and what helped me decide was the itinerary, not the ship itself. Look for the ports and how long you stay in each port. I too, have heard not so great things about NCL Pearl (but then some people loved it) but decided on that ship because of the itinerary and the time the ship stays at that port. Also I read Glacier Bay is a must so then was also the deciding factor for me. We're going September 2015.

OP - Princess is a great cruise line. We have cruised them several times and HAL several times. Princess attracts a slightly younger crowd than HAL. I would say they have slightly more activities than HAL and quite good entertainment going on all the time. Their food is good and the crew will take good care of you. I would not hesitate to reccomend Princess for your cruise.

I sure wish all you people who have "heard" bad things about NCL would give it a try. There is so much to do, so many different places to eat. The entertainment all over the ship is better than on any line we've been on. The ships' staffs are friendlier and more visible on the ships.

We have cruised on Princess, Holland America and Royal Caribbean, and we always come back to NCL (just look at our next two cruises :D). NCL is fun -- and not in a party, party, drunk, drunk way.

I haven't left on my next cruise, yet, but I'm already looking forward to next year's cruise on the Sun (again).

I sure wish all you people who have "heard" bad things about NCL would give it a try. There is so much to do, so many different places to eat. The entertainment all over the ship is better than on any line we've been on. The ships' staffs are friendlier and more visible on the ships.

We have cruised on Princess, Holland America and Royal Caribbean, and we always come back to NCL (just look at our next two cruises :D). NCL is fun -- and not in a party, party, drunk, drunk way.

I haven't left on my next cruise, yet, but I'm already looking forward to next year's cruise on the Sun (again).

You are absolutely correct and I apologize for my clumsy wording...I should have said, the particular ship that fit what I was looking for, has had more than it's fair share of mediocre to poor reviews, not the entire cruise line...that being said, if the price had been better I may have taken my chances with it regardless...however, we decided to pull the trigger and booked with Celebrity.

Cruise More Often

I have to agree with you. We sailed on the Pearl to Alaska & could not have asked for a better ship, crew, and itinerary. NCL never seems to get much praise on this board. We have sailed NCL several times & have always been very pleased.