Specific AMA questions for AMA cruisers

Familygoboston

We are leaving Dec 6 and returning on the 16th. I found some undergarments on sale on Sierra Trading post but have yet to pull the trigger. I am considering the Lands End Starfish pants (slim leg) to wear because I own one pair and they are really comfortable and are made from a relatively thick fabric. I have a pair of lined leather gloves with fur at the cuff and a merino wool scarf, thinking of maybe only taking that one and buying some others in Prague. I think I will take thin sweaters and fleece to wear because those I can use at home. I have a couple of cute knit hats I never get to wear here so I will probably take those and suffer with hat head LOL

We are in central Florida too (Lakeland,) I looked at the boots you recommended on another thread and I am trying to decide what size to buy (8 1/2 in length 9 in sneakers but as I mentioned very narrow.) I have also found some nice Keen (Keen Wapato Tall) boots which I can get on sale and Sorel doesn't seem to allow their boots to be discounted. I have been thinking the same for dinner wear and I plan to pack thin layers. I am also thinking of packing a nice sweater or light jacket to wear with my dinner outfits onboard. I was thinking starfish pants from lands end but may pick up some slim leg cords and jeans instead...not sure what would be best. I use travel space bags for packing and LOVE them!

My husband uses a space bag to compress his down jacket. I am normally fine on space so never have had to. And I don't want my bag to weigh more just to pack more clothes as I have to carry it on and off of trains.

I bought my Sorels at a good discount on Zappos 2 years ago at the end of season. And ebay has good deals from time to time but you have to know your size. There is also 6pm.com and onlineshoes.com which had a good discount code over the weekend.

I have never worn Keens but do like Naot as many of their styles run narrow.

My lined leather gloves don't get it in cold temps. I have ski gloves I bought in Germany a few years ago that keep my hands relatively warm but am still hunting for a better option as I have quite a few pair now and none really are effective when I am outdoors for long periods of time in very cold temps.

I bring a pretty pashmina in my carry on that doubles as a wrap for evening or scarf if I need an extra layer. I also use it on the plane for warmth.

My husband uses a space bag to compress his down jacket. I am normally fine on space so never have had to. And I don't want my bag to weigh more just to pack more clothes as I have to carry it on and off of trains.

I bought my Sorels at a good discount on Zappos 2 years ago at the end of season. And ebay has good deals from time to time but you have to know your size. There is also 6pm.com and onlineshoes.com which had a good discount code over the weekend.

I have never worn Keens but do like Naot as many of their styles run narrow.

My lined leather gloves don't get it in cold temps. I have ski gloves I bought in Germany a few years ago that keep my hands relatively warm but am still hunting for a better option as I have quite a few pair now and none really are effective when I am outdoors for long periods of time in very cold temps.

I bring a pretty pashmina in my carry on that doubles as a wrap for evening or scarf if I need an extra layer. I also use it on the plane for warmth.

Shoebuy has 25% off of boots until the 18th but Sorel isn't included, I'll check Naot. I am with you, I don't really like to shop shoes from Ebay unless they are a pair I've owned before. I have been watching 6pm but they are always so limited on sizes, I am thinking I will order the keens and see how they feel because Shoebuy has free return shipping.

Looks like I need to look for some different gloves....

Unfortunately the airlines keep me from packing too heavily so with the space bags I just end up with a lot of free space to bring home my shopping haul:D

Wednesday-- you sound like you are in good shape! I can highly recommend Keens! I live in their sandals and often they are my only travel shoe I take when Im packing really lightly! I just bought a black pair of Keen shoes at an discount chain up in Maine. They look good with my slacks and have the same great support for walking all day. That's why I love my keens, they give really great support for hiking walking or biking, and the sandals are also amphibious, so I can wear them in the water!

Wednesday-- you sound like you are in good shape! I can highly recommend Keens! I live in their sandals and often they are my only travel shoe I take when Im packing really lightly! I just bought a black pair of Keen shoes at an discount chain up in Maine. They look good with my slacks and have the same great support for walking all day. That's why I love my keens, they give really great support for hiking walking or biking, and the sandals are also amphibious, so I can wear them in the water!

Great! I will order them :) They are really cute boots I think.

keenf703829_346320_jb.jpg

I ordered the Keen's from shoemall because they have a today only 30% off sale and when I went back to my cart on shoebuy the 25% discount had been removed and it said that shoe was not eligible for the promotion. If y'all are needing new shoes you might want to mosey over there before the end of the evening!

Sometimes when you put stuff in the cart and want to order it later, cookies are enabled that then changes the pricing, once they know they have you one the hook:rolleyes: ...in that case try deleting your cache and try again, or use another browser to enter the site fresh. Lots of times, it thinks you are a "new customer" and tries to entice you with a deal. The airlines do this some times, if you look at a fare for a certain flight it will increase it just because it perceives you are interested!

Hope you like the boots!

Sometimes when you put stuff in the cart and want to order it later, cookies are enabled that then changes the pricing, once they know they have you one the hook:rolleyes: ...in that case try deleting your cache and try again, or use another browser to enter the site fresh. Lots of times, it thinks you are a "new customer" and tries to entice you with a deal. The airlines do this some times, if you look at a fare for a certain flight it will increase it just because it perceives you are interested!

Hope you like the boots!

Yeah that kind of thing bugs me. With shoebuy, even if their sale price was still coming up shoemall was cheaper plus when I called them to ask about their price matching gty, the first time I was accidentally hung up on and both times I was treated with an indifferent (borderline rude) attitude.

my TA has given us some shipboard credit for a AMA river cruise next year. What can it be used for??

Optional excursions, bar tab, gratuities, massage, gift shop.

I'm just speculating, but my TA often "surprises" us with OBC. My question for you Caviargal is if it's refundable? We are unlikely to spend anything onboard and I don't want to buy random stuff in the shop just to use it. I suppose I could ask them to charge my gratuities.

I'm just speculating, but my TA often "surprises" us with OBC. My question for you Caviargal is if it's refundable? We are unlikely to spend anything onboard and I don't want to buy random stuff in the shop just to use it. I suppose I could ask them to charge my gratuities.

It was not refundable.

Are you prepaying your gratuities? If not, you can apply it to that. Have you decided that you are not interested in any of the excursions that are not included?

Are you prepaying your gratuities? If not, you can apply it to that. Have you decided that you are not interested in any of the excursions that are not included?

We did not pre pay gratuities, we've probably got enough euros and will have enough left over RON to tip in cash, but I would use it for tips if that's allowed. If we get an OBC, (our TA typically gives them) it's highly unlikely we could spend it all. On ocean crusies with a la carte pricing for everything we rarely rack up a bill more than 30-80 bucks. I cost imagine what we'd spend on during an all inclusive cruise (we will barely drink the included drinks at meals, much less drink at other times, I save spa for times when there are not other exciting things I've paid to see and do. We don't plan on taking any "extra" excursions since it's our first go round in this area, we want to take the "basic" ones. The only one we might add is the Bosporus cruise in Istanbul- but we are doing one with our private guide and may even skip that depending on what we still want to experience in Istanbul.

Though we could use some of it for laundry! That we will use! :D

Men's dress question:

Hubby has packed collared golf shirts and khaki pants and sneakers for days and some nights, and a couple of cotton casual dress shirts (plaids) with khakis and dress shoes for a couple of dinners (such as Capts night) Will this be ok? Everything I've read made me think he'd be fine with this.

I've got several pairs of knit slacks I can dress up with tunics or long cardigans and a knit dress and black skirt that dress up very easily, so I'm not as worried about my stuff. Honestly, since we have afternoon excursions planned most days, I don't expect we will have much time to dress or shower before the briefing each evening!

Men's dress question:

Hubby has packed collared golf shirts and khaki pants and sneakers for days and some nights, and a couple of cotton casual dress shirts (plaids) with khakis and dress shoes for a couple of dinners (such as Capts night) Will this be ok? Everything I've read made me think he'd be fine with this.

I've got several pairs of knit slacks I can dress up with tunics or long cardigans and a knit dress and black skirt that dress up very easily, so I'm not as worried about my stuff. Honestly, since we have afternoon excursions planned most days, I don't expect we will have much time to dress or shower before the briefing each evening!

We always take a hot shower and change for dinner after a full day of walking and touring.

We don't pack anything in light colors based on practicality. Dark colors are much more forgiving!

I would suggest a nicer button down, long sleeve shirt or similar for the special nights aboard.

My husband wears black slacks/jeans and a turtleneck or sweater during the day. For evening, dress slacks and collared shirt or sweater. For the special evenings and Erlebnis, he always wears a long sleeve button down dress shirt.

Jeans and cords for daytime touring are my preference. I have a black knit White House/Black Market sweater dress that I will wear 2 nights, with a different pair of tights/hose and a belt to change the look. Then the other evenings are black slacks and pretty tops/tunics/sweaters. I bring a sparkly one for the dressier nights.

If we have an evening tour after dinner, we dress more casually so we can head out right after dinner.

Eight weeks from Saturday for us!

Edited by caviargal

So I've got my love blog started....the link is in my signature! I'll have a packing and planning post tomorrow, with photos of the pre departure packet, then we will be on the road, I'm hopeful we will have decent internet so I can post some photos and a few details about our trip as we go along! :D

Can't wait for our trip!

So I've got my love blog started....the link is in my signature! I'll have a packing and planning post tomorrow, with photos of the pre departure packet, then we will be on the road, I'm hopeful we will have decent internet so I can post some photos and a few details about our trip as we go along! :D

Can't wait for our trip!

Going to check it out now! Can't wait to follow you along on your trip, I hope you have an amazing trip and safe travels!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait for our trip!

WOW & thx for your blog & photos. DH & I are lurking on the River Cruise board. I have narrowed the choices to Tauck & AMA but leaning > to AMA for France next Summer. Will follow your postings. Really interested in age/activity range on river cruises. DH & I are working ,active in early 60's. Have zero problem with older cruisers but do not want to be

on the "assisted living" cruise ( Boy, I'm going to get nasty notes for that).

Carole

. DH & I are working ,active in early 60's. Have zero problem with older cruisers but do not want to be

Carole

We are working and active 50 somethings and feel the same way. For us, AMA has been a good fit with their biking tours, active tours and demographic on 2 of our 3 so far was a great mix of under and over 50.

I will be posting from our Provence cruise next month. :)

We are working and active 50 somethings and feel the same way. For us, AMA has been a good fit with their biking tours, active tours and demographic on 2 of our 3 so far was a great mix of under and over 50.

I will be posting from our Provence cruise next month. :)

Thx for your response. Glad you understood where i was coming from. Are you doing the Paris-Barcelona on AMA next month? That is the cruise I'm researching.

Carole

Thx for your response. Glad you understood where i was coming from. Are you doing the Paris-Barcelona on AMA next month? That is the cruise I'm researching.

Carole

It is a wine theme cruise - Spain and Provence itinerary - but we are skipping Barcelona (been there and once was enough) and starting trip with 4 night in Paris pre-cruise. Rented several apartments for our group of family and friends and have some things planned there as well.

We will train to Arles to catch the boat and then fly home from Lyon.

WOW & thx for your blog & photos. DH & I are lurking on the River Cruise board. I have narrowed the choices to Tauck & AMA but leaning > to AMA for France next Summer. Will follow your postings. Really interested in age/activity range on river cruises. DH & I are working ,active in early 60's. Have zero problem with older cruisers but do not want to be

Carole

I was on an AMA Paris-Barcelona cruise, Sept 4-11, 2014. And I didn't see anyone of us in the group to be "assisted living" types, though several of us were afflicted with bad knees, titanium knees or hips, or were generally not as quick footed as someone 40ish. I'd say half were still working and the other half gainfully, and actively retired. The loud group on the cruise were 40-50 y/o types, hell bent on being annoying the rest of us during dinner or in the lounge. Someone already blogged about this cruise in July of this year, and I recommend you read his posting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068657&highlight=amadagio.

You will likely be surrounded by people with different physical capabilities.

Choose the group your most comfortable. And of course, you're free to engage in a lot of touring on your own.

Carole

Thank you, Carole! Our cruise was pretty active but definitely skewed older. Several folks pointed out that we were the youngest (at just 50) but in fact the youngest were a couple in their 20s or 30s from New Zealand traveling with older relatives. What we found was a divide between "repaired" and "unrepaired" folks. Several of our bike riders were in their late 70s or even 80 but all the parts worked! Some folks in their early 60s are still waiting for the new knee hip or whatever, so age had little to do with it!

In general we found that in the large cities too much of the tour was "from the bus" where as our private guide and we spent most of the the day (4-11 hours depending on the day or place) on our feet and riding public transit with breaks for meals and coffees. I'll have a lot more details starting this week on my thread- the photos are done and uploaded! But we had out of town college tours to do with our 17 yo so we weren't able to start this weekend! But we have almost 700 photos and I'm anxious to share them!

Carole

Hm, guess it is a good thing that most assisted living residents probably aren't reading this forum! Not sure what you mean by "the assisted living cruise". There is always a chance that, on any cruise, there could be a large group whose life style or interests are different from yours. River cruise companies seem to manage this by providing a variety of tours and within those, different paces. This seems to work for most people who book a river cruise. It is also very likely that there will be some if not many fellow passengers whose company you will enjoy.