weather in Rio in Nov.

joiedevivre

Already thinking about what I'm going to pack for a Lisbon -Rio cuise. We arrive the 19 of Nov. in Rio. How is the weather at this time. Summer dresses, shorts?

The rule of thumb for a crossing is to take the average temperature for either port (mid sixties Fahrenheit for Lisbon in November and mid eighties for Rio) and then assume that it will be about ten degrees cooler while the ship is at least one day out of sight of land.

map-lg-MNA141104.jpg It's cool and breezy on the Ocean.

we did Rome to Rio in 2011, leaving Rio on Dec 12, I believe.

We were in summer clothes from the day after a stop in Gibraltar.

We sat out on our balcony (in the shade) in our summer clothes every day while at sea.

It was HOT in Brazil, had to be under an umbrella on Copacabana Beach, or I would have fried!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

Hot and humid but worth it! Forget about your hair :) Hats are encouraged and I brought a portable hand held fan. Ride to Sugar Loaf is hot especially when packed with people. Enjoy Rio!! Other Itinerary Ports similar in temperature. Take an umbrella.

We sat out on our balcony (in the shade) in our summer clothes every day while at sea.

It was HOT in Brazil, had to be under an umbrella on Copacabana Beach, or I would have fried!

What do people, tourist and locals, wear in Rio (and Recife and Salvador for that matter)? Are shorts and tee shirts OK? I don't want to inflict my 64 year old legs on anyone if they're going to be the only ones on display!:o And do the Vatican-type rules of covering knees and shoulders apply in Brazilian cathedrals?

What do people, tourist and locals, wear in Rio (and Recife and Salvador for that matter)? Are shorts and tee shirts OK? I don't want to inflict my 64 year old legs on anyone if they're going to be the only ones on display!:o And do the Vatican-type rules of covering knees and shoulders apply in Brazilian cathedrals?

Comfortable clothing. I prefer to wear skorts over shorts because they are more comfortable in my opinion and a little longer even though my legs are okay to be seen at my age. White or light color clothing as I often wear a Scottevest to keep money, camera, etc on me instead of a purse. We were just at the Vatican in June and the various styles of clothing or lack of was amazing. Use discretion in all places of worship. Enjoy your trip.

I don't remember specifically, and we were only there early last December. But I do know that members in our tour groups were wearing shorts and we saw plenty of locals doing the same. Don't wear your string bikini on a tour, though ...

I don't recall being warned about proper attire in Brazilian cathedrals but I always plan on dressing modestly in such locales. They aren't as strict as mosques in this respect, but you do need to show respect.

We were in Portugal in 1984 and I saw a German tourist -- thank goodness he was German and not from the U.S. -- enter the Batalha cathedral wearing shorts with holes in them. They didn't throw him out but *I* was offended.

Back in the mid-50s my mother was asked to leave the cathedral in San Miguel Allende (Mexico) because she was wearing a very modest dress that was sleeveless.

It's best to be aware of local customs, I think. That was pre-computer age and Mom wasn't aware. (Then again, on that same trip my sister who was around 8 years old at the time insisted on wearing short shorts in Mexico and she sure did get ogled.)

Mura

Mura