Who Decides When to Cancel Excursions?

sa cruiser52

When shore excursions are cancelled, who decides this and how? Also how is this information communicated to the ship? I am cruising soon and need re-assurance that NCL will cancel versus putting passengers at risk to weather related injuries. Any help will be appreciated.

When shore excursions are cancelled, who decides this and how? Also how is this information communicated to the ship? I am cruising soon and need re-assurance that NCL will cancel versus putting passengers at risk to weather related injuries. Any help will be appreciated.

There's no single answer to this question. Sometimes the tour operator cancels, sometimes NCL cancels.

I've NEVER seen a tour operate that put people at risk.

When we did our Baltics cruise, we had a Moscow day-trip scheduled. The day we boarded the ship, we learned that the tour operator's insurance company declined to insure their aircraft from the flight from St. Petersburg. NCL promptly cancelled that tour, to our chagrin (and relief).

My ship excursions have not been cancelled, but I have heard some announcements when excursions were cancelled. for example, during thunderstorms, many (probably most) excursions have been cancelled. another time, cave tubing was cancelled due to high water after heavy rains in preceding days.

I believe they do cancel if conditions are unsafe.

If you have an excursion purchased through Norwegian and it is canceled, the price of the excursion is credited to your ship board account. If you have booked through another means and it is canceled, you may or may not get your money back.

I was on cruise a year ago May and was on the bus ready to leave for the excursion when it was canceled because of high winds. It was a Norwegian purchased excursion and my account was credited.

If you have booked through another means and it is canceled, you may or may not get your money back.

This is just scaring people for nothing. If a third party excursion is cancelled by the operator and they will not issue a refund, the credit card company will after disputing the charge - you will get your money back.

We had a snorkel excursion scheduled in STT. There was a torrential downpour as we were queuing up on the pier for the excursion. The captain of the tour indicated that the current weather might not be conducive to a pleasurable excursion. Everybody in the queue agreed and the tour was cancelled right there on the spot. The sun came out 30 minutes later, go figure.

I am asking this as I was injured by lightning on a different cruise line and I am getting ready to finally cruise again and probably will try to touch base with the crew once onboard to ask my questions. I know every little league has a hand held device that can tell them if there is lightning in a certain radius. I am sure the ship has greater capability than that. But profits are important as well. I am being very cautious as I know it can happen. Thanks for the input. I am not trying to scare anyone; I just want to cruise and be safe.