Upsell offer

tooleman56

...We booked directly with HAL for our cruise next week, an inside M guarantee. We received a $198 upsell to a VA balcony and a suite upsell offer for the same amount. .... the potential to go from an inside M guarantee to a suite for $396 is pretty good...

Could you please tell exactly what cruise (ship, number of days and sailing date) these offers were for? Also, were the figures you mentioned for the total cruise or per day?

Thank you very much.

Scott & Karen

I got 4 upsell offers for the Alaska cruise I am currently on...7 day trip

Booked VE cabin

Offer 1 $399 pp Neptune suite $199pp signature suite

Offer 2 $249 pp Neptune suite $149pp signature suite

Offer 3 came later in the same day as offer #2 and exact same offer

Offer 4.$199 pp Neptune suite $49 signature suite

Took offer 4 and got aft Neptune suite.....this was 3 days before the cruise

I wonder why the same person would get FOUR upsell offers? Maybe you have bought upsell offers before?

I wonder why the same person would get FOUR upsell offers? Maybe you have bought upsell offers before?

Four upsell offers is probably rare. We have experienced two for the same cruise, ignored the first, accepted the second. In this case, it seems to be just a matter of who blinks first. HAL puts out the offer and sees how many will accept it, and keeps lowering the upsell price until all Neptune Suites have been filled. Actually, untill all staterooms are filled. Empty staterooms don't spend anything onboard. This is simply supply and demand working.

If upsells don't get snapped up they will keep issuing them, to a point. On my panama canal cruise I took an upsell from a balcony to an SS if I remember correctly. That was fairly reasonable. I wanted a neptune but it was stupid expensive. Then I got another upsell to a neptune or PH, still stupid expensive. Got a third one and even though it was still pricey I bit. I heard there was one more after that but it wasn't much cheaper.

Edited by cruz chic

In this case, it seems to be just a matter of who blinks first. HAL puts out the offer and sees how many will accept it, and keeps lowering the upsell price until all Neptune Suites have been filled.
I think that's exactly how it works.

I'm a customer of a wine merchant that does exactly the same thing in some of its sales, only it tells you up front that this is how the sale is going to work. On the first day, the price is A per bottle. If there's any left on the next day, it'll be at a lower price; and ditto for every subsequent day. If you want it for less, you can wait for the lower prices later in the week but your risk is that there won't be any left.

The last time I was in a position to get upsell offers, we got four. We were booked in a Lanai. 11 days before departure, HAL offered us a balcony for $499. We ignored that.

Almost a week later HAL offered us a balcony for $299. We ignored that too, whereupon we got a free upgrade to a balcony.

Then the next day, HAL offered us a Neptune Suite for $499, which we took. (Actually, I almost chewed HAL's arm off.)

A couple of days after that (possibly the day before sailing), HAL offered us a Pinnacle Suite for another $499, but we ignored that one as we were happy with what we'd got for the price that we got it for.

I don't understand upsells. We have been offered them 2 of our 3 HAL cruises. The only thing I can figures is they look at the days you have more than 300$ in charges. Since they seem to include excursions, when you go to Alaska, it's easy!

I don't think that plays into it. Seems that some pretty thrifty people get them. I remember one person that didn't want to pay $50 to go to a balcony. Something tells me they might not be a big spender. I never used to get them when I had a TA, now that I book thru HAL I do get them.

Another upsell offer, our third for this sailing, came today. Latest offer is $449pp for SS-SZ, down $100pp from the previous two offers. Neptune Suite offered at $949pp, down $300pp from the previous two offers. The previous two offers came while were booked VE guarantee. We received a confirmed VB cabin # on Tuesday.

Edited by tooleman56

Probably hold out for a better offer and if it doesn't come, be happy where we are. I asked the HAL rep for the available stateroom numbers in each of the upgrade categories, which I also did for last week's offer. Interestingly enough, today's list of cabins available for upgrade was completely different than the list I wrote down last week. What gives there?

I am new to HAL. I just got an upsell offer for a 10/25 Westerdam cruise. From SY suite to Neptune (best available SA to SC) for $299 pp. There seem to be quite a few suites available. Based on the other posts, maybe I should wait.

I am new to HAL. I just got an upsell offer for a 10/25 Westerdam cruise. From SY suite to Neptune (best available SA to SC) for $299 pp. There seem to be quite a few suites available. Based on the other posts, maybe I should wait.

Got the same offer. Told the TA that we would do it for $300 or so. Perfectly happy with an SZ guarantee, but the full suite is very nice indeed.