Upsell offer

tooleman56

Received an upsell offer tonight, exactly one month out, for our Med cruise on Oct. 8. The offer was to upgrade our VE guarantee to a Signature suite (SZ to SS) for $549pp or to a Neptune suite (SC-SA) for $1,249pp. We have plans to be off the ship for at least five full days on private excursions so I can't justify the additional cost at these prices. I would accept an upsell should the right offer come. Having received this offer a month in advance, should that tell me anything about how the cruise is selling and is it likely another upsell offer will come at some point?

I agree with Sails, getting an up sell offer this far out may mean nothing at all. Though in saying that you might see a better offer closer to the cruise. Don't be surprise if you get another offer but I do understand your reasoning if your going to be off the ship that long it may not be worth it to you, to take.

If you want the better cabin , you can always negotiate with HAL and offer less. Sometimes it works with excellent results and sometimes it does not. Example: my sister is on an Alaskan cruise where they booked an inside guarantee. They were upgraded to an H outside cabin and then offered an upsell to a terrible (close to the front, metal solid divider so no ocean view if sitting down) veranda cabin. She thought maybe a veranda is not a bad idea so she offered 50% of the offered upsell. HAL came back with an upsell offer to a VA cabin at the 50% off upsell price she had countered with to the initial upsell. Needless to say, she jumped on that and is loving her veranda as she is currently in Alaska! Now if that would just happen to all of us......

It's funny because you never know when they will offer something, We were on the Oosterdam in Alaska on Aug 10th - 2 days before we left home (Aug 7th) our travel agent sent me an email because Holland had offered us an upgrade from Oceanview 1002 to a balcony room for only $99 per person. I was worried we would get a balcony with the solid panels where you can't see anything sitting down so I called our travel agent and she got us the 4 room numbers that they were offering....I was thrilled to be moved to 8134 which was an aft room with a huge balcony. It was awesome. I can't say we spent a lot of time of the balcony but we were out there every day .... what really made it nice was the fact that now our room had a tub which makes the shower so much larger than a room with just a shower. It worked out great because we were meeting friends from Wisconsin on this trip and we notified them and they were also able to upgrade to a balcony room. So we were very pleased with Holland......and hope to cruise with them again.

It's funny because you never know when they will offer something, We were on the Oosterdam in Alaska on Aug 10th - 2 days before we left home (Aug 7th) our travel agent sent me an email because Holland had offered us an upgrade from Oceanview 1002 to a balcony room for only $99 per person. I was worried we would get a balcony with the solid panels where you can't see anything sitting down so I called our travel agent and she got us the 4 room numbers that they were offering....I was thrilled to be moved to 8134 which was an aft room with a huge balcony. It was awesome. I can't say we spent a lot of time of the balcony but we were out there every day .... what really made it nice was the fact that now our room had a tub which makes the shower so much larger than a room with just a shower. It worked out great because we were meeting friends from Wisconsin on this trip and we notified them and they were also able to upgrade to a balcony room. So we were very pleased with Holland......and hope to cruise with them again.

I remember your thread about the cruise tour. How did you enjoy it? Did you like the glacier skywalk?

I received an upsell 3 weeks before my Med cruise in July... Then another a week later... And a third 5 days after that. I couldn't resist the 3rd offer and happily went to an SS from a VE. Yes it's a port intensive cruise but it was great to have a lovely stateroom to recharge our batteries in after a busy port day

We've never been offered an upsell and we've sailed with HAL many times. We have been booking directly with HAL through a PCC. Does that make a difference? Do I ask them to consider us for an upsell?

We've read here of people who booked with PCC and had upsell offers same as people who booked on their own and those who used a TA.

We've never been offered an upsell and we've sailed with HAL many times. We have been booking directly with HAL through a PCC. Does that make a difference? Do I ask them to consider us for an upsell?

Well, that sucks! Usually you are more likely to see an upsell thru booking with a PCC. I would mention it to your PCC. I've bitten on several upsells since I've switched to booking thru a PCC. I wonder if that makes me more likely to receive them. I rarely ever saw one when I booked thru a TA.

It's all a question of numerous factors coming into play. We booked directly with HAL for our cruise next week, an inside M guarantee. We received a $198 upsell to a VA balcony and a suite upsell offer for the same amount. Unfortunately, that one ended up in my spam box for some mysterious reason and I only saw it after the last suite had gone. In any event, the potential to go from an inside M guarantee to a suite for $396 is pretty good, and I hadn't made any request. In fact, I didn't deal with a PCC, simply booking it myself online.

And we are lowly Mariner 1s on HAL, so no preferential treatment based on years of cruising with them. :o

It's all a question of numerous factors coming into play. We booked directly with HAL for our cruise next week, an inside M guarantee. We received a $198 upsell to a VA balcony and a suite upsell offer for the same amount. Unfortunately, that one ended up in my spam box for some mysterious reason and I only saw it after the last suite had gone. In any event, the potential to go from an inside M guarantee to a suite for $396 is pretty good, and I hadn't made any request. In fact, I didn't deal with a PCC, simply booking it myself online.

And we are lowly Mariner 1s on HAL, so no preferential treatment based on years of cruising with them. :o

Believe me, people with fewer days with hal get better treatment generally speaking. Hal would like people to believe we get soecial treatment but thx to many threads on cc we can see it isn't so. That was a smokin deal that you rec'd. I've never seen anything like that.

We booked thru HAL in June for Transatlantic. Was offered an upsell last week from our VB to suite or Neptune suite - price ranged from $800 to $1500 pp considering category. Would have loved to take it but a little rich for my blood so had to pass it up. Maybe another time! Or from what has been said here as the date of embarkation approaches the price may come down. Can always hope!

Received another e-mail upsell offer late Wednesday afternoon, now three weeks out from our Oct. 8 Med cruise. The offer was identical to the offer made 10 days ago and mentioned in my OP. I'm scratching my head a bit over this. Why send the same offer again?

We received a very nice upsell offer Monday and our cruise leaves on the Sept. 27 on the Volendam. The offer was from an Cat. H on the Lower Promenade to a Vista Suite on the Veranda deck for a very reasonable additional cost and we took it.

Received another e-mail upsell offer late Wednesday afternoon, now three weeks out from our Oct. 8 Med cruise. The offer was identical to the offer made 10 days ago and mentioned in my OP. I'm scratching my head a bit over this. Why send the same offer again?

No kidding. How stupid is that? Maybe they want to make sure you are not interested:D;).

I got 4 upsell offers for the Alaska cruise I am currently on...7 day trip

Booked VE cabin

Offer 1 $399 pp Neptune suite $199pp signature suite

Offer 2 $249 pp Neptune suite $149pp signature suite

Offer 3 came later in the same day as offer #2 and exact same offer

Offer 4.$199 pp Neptune suite $49 signature suite

Took offer 4 and got aft Neptune suite.....this was 3 days before the cruise