Cheers program

PA Beachlovers

We are considering the cheers program for our upcoming cruise. Question is can it be used at every bar in the ship, Red Frog Pub, Blue Iguana, etc. We have been on Carnival a few times now but can't remember if I ever saw a wristband for the Cheers program or is there another method of identification. Also I believe it includes soda but the soda doesn't count against your drinks for the day, not that either of us are likely to drink 15 drinks in a day but could come close.

We are considering the cheers program for our upcoming cruise. Question is can it be used at every bar in the ship, Red Frog Pub, Blue Iguana, etc. We have been on Carnival a few times now but can't remember if I ever saw a wristband for the Cheers program or is there another method of identification. Also I believe it includes soda but the soda doesn't count against your drinks for the day, not that either of us are likely to drink 15 drinks in a day but could come close.

Yep! Cheers is good at all of the bars onboard. When you buy the package, they put a sticker on your Sail and Sign card. And yes, Cheers does include sodas. Hopefully this will answer some of your questions. Have a great cruise!

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

The program limits you to 15 alcohol drinks. Soda is unlimited. The below is copied/pasted from CCL:

· Package allows for up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period (6:00am-6:00am); once the limit is reached, the guest will not be served any additional alcoholic drinks.

· Package allows for unlimited soda and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails

I was told it is also a $10 max per drink, so if you upgrade to premiums or area scotch drinker that is more than $10 per glass you pay the difference plus gratuity.
No, you do not pay the difference....that is the policy on some other cruise lines. On Carnival, any drink that is over 10.00 will give you a 25% discount with the Cheers program. So if you go to the Alchemy Bar and get an upgraded drink that is 9.95, it's covered. But if you go to the Red Frog Pub and just have to have one of those 101 oz beer tubes that cost 26.95, 27.95 and 28.95, then you'll get a 25% discount. The same would be true with Patron Tequila....the Blanco is 9.95, so it's covered, but the Reposado is 10.95, eligible for the 25% discount.

Soda is unlimited and doesn't count toward your 15 drinks, but on our Victory cruise, I went to get a coke after I had reached the limit of 15 drinks and wasn't able to get one. Once you hit the 15th drinks, the system locks you out until 6:00am.

I have also read that you can ask for unopened can of soda to take back to your room. Does the same apply to unopened can of beer? Could you then take these drinks off ship in a cooler bag to enjoy on a beach?

Yes, no problem getting un-opened beers and bringing back to cabin for future use

Yes, no problem getting un-opened beers and bringing back to cabin for future use

Been trying to justify the package for upcoming cruise. There is no way we could drink 15 a day for 7 days. But the countless threads on this have pointed out you need to have about 5'ish drinks per day to break even. That I can do. So being the tight wad that I am, what about those other 10 in my "allotment"? So I get 10 unopened cans of Fosters per day, that's 70 oil cans for the week, for two of us, that's 140 cans to take home. Not a bad souvenir. Wonder if guest services would help me get it to my car, would definitely need a handtruck, maybe 2. Hmmmmm.......

Just got off the Carnival Conquest on Sunday, we bought the Cheers program. On the 2nd day I asked for 2 unopened soda cans and they were given to me without any problem and not charged for them. Then 2 days later I asked for 2 unopened soda cans and was charged for them. Went to guest services to ask why I was being charged for them and was told I was only suppose to get them in the glass if not I would be charged for them. So I guess it depends on the server how he put it in the computer. My husband bought a drink for 1 of the musicians and told the server it was for the musician and he got charged for it because it was for a friend. So if you want to get somebody a drink don't say it is for somebody else ask for it as you are going to drink it if not you will be charged. This program works great for people who are drinkers if you only have 2 or 3 drinks a day it is not worth it.:)

Just got off the Carnival Conquest on Sunday, So if you want to get somebody a drink don't say it is for somebody else ask for it as you are going to drink it if not you will be charged.

This would be known as stealing.

This would be known as stealing.

Really? How is paying for a package that allows 15 drinks and giving one of those to a friend stealing?! What is it to them if I decide to give 1 of my 15 to someone else. I am the one losing out on a drink that I already paid for....

Really? How is paying for a package that allows 15 drinks and giving one of those to a friend stealing?! What is it to them if I decide to give 1 of my 15 to someone else. I am the one losing out on a drink that I already paid for....

It is 15 drinks for YOU to consume. Most people will not consume 15 drinks, but much less. The pricing is based upon this fact. Were everyone to actually consume all 15 drinks daily, the pricing would be not much less than the price of 15 drinks.

It is no different than going to an all you can eat buffet and feeding someone else off your plate. It was all YOU can eat, not all YOU AND ANYONE ELSE YOU CAN TO DRAG IN can eat.

It is 15 drinks for YOU to consume. Most people will not consume 15 drinks, but much less. The pricing is based upon this fact. Were everyone to actually consume all 15 drinks daily, the pricing would be not much less than the price of 15 drinks.

It is no different than going to an all you can eat buffet and feeding someone else off your plate. It was all YOU can eat, not all YOU AND ANYONE ELSE YOU CAN TO DRAG IN can eat.

Funny though how Carnival is the only cruise line who requires anyone in the stateroom over 21 to purchase...

I am not saying I did or would give half of my drinks to other people so your comparison to feeding someone at a buffet is a bit of a stretch. If I pay for 15 drinks per day then I should be able to get 15 drinks and do what I please with them.

As others have stated in other threads, there are bartenders on Carnival who will gladly give you your remaining drinks at the end of a day... Would they be then helping you steal?!?

Edited by utkikr21

I don't consider getting 1 drink out of my 15 as stealing, I am giving 1 of my drinks away. I am entitled to 15 drinks a day so if I give 1 away I only get 14. This was a thank you gesture for a request that we made to the singer of the band it wasn't that I was giving away drinks to passengers. But if you consider this stealing so be it. But I don't.

Funny though how Carnival is the only cruise line who requires anyone in the stateroom over 21 to purchase...

I am not saying I did or would give half of my drinks to other people so your comparison to feeding someone at a buffet is a bit of a stretch. If I pay for 15 drinks per day then I should be able to get 15 drinks and do what I please with them.

As others have stated in other threads, there are bartenders on Carnival who will gladly give you your remaining drinks at the end of a day... Would they be then helping you steal?!?

And there are buffets that have a sign stating everyone who enters must purchase a buffet. Really the exact same logic here, to prevent sharing.

Again, you seem to not to grasp why Cheers is priced as it is. Carnival knows full well, most people are not going to consume 15 alcoholic beverages in a day, particularly for 4, 5 or even 8 days straight. Therefore they can discount the package versus the actual price of 15 drinks. Then people buy it, drink more and save versus paying per drink while Carnival increases their onboard revenue.

Also, I fail to see how the staff breaking the rules justifies you doing so as well? And yes, if they gave you your remaining drinks at the end of the day to share or store for another time, they have effectively stolen as well. Can you take a carry out plate from the buffet at no cost?

People have reported about security contacting them very shortly after sharing a drink when on the Cheers package. I suspect there are random spot checks, particularly at busy locations to look for this.

I don't consider getting 1 drink out of my 15 as stealing, I am giving 1 of my drinks away. I am entitled to 15 drinks a day so if I give 1 away I only get 14. This was a thank you gesture for a request that we made to the singer of the band it wasn't that I was giving away drinks to passengers. But if you consider this stealing so be it. But I don't.

I do consider it stealing and more importantly Carnival does as well. I won't tell you what do but I have also gotten drinks for others while on the Cheers program. The difference being that I paid for them and they were not part of my 15.

DW and I are friends with a bartender on Carnival and if they are caught they can be fired for doing so.

Just to clarify, you do not need to drink the 15 limit for it to work for you.

I found this post a while back from someone that helped break down the Cheers program for me. This may assist some to calculate HOW MANY, for How Long & Cost comparison.

Here is an updated excel file that will auto calculate based on cruise length. It does not contain macros only formulas. Change the cruise length days to your cruise length.

CHEERS 2014 breakdown.xls

We're planning to do Cheers on the Dream only because we see the price for 7 day cruises has gone down to $37.50 per day - is it a fleetwide price change? I'd be disappointed to get on board and find out that's the one ship who still has the old pricing.

I do consider it stealing and more importantly Carnival does as well. I won't tell you what do but I have also gotten drinks for others while on the Cheers program. The difference being that I paid for them and they were not part of my 15.

On our cruise last year, we wanted to buy a drink for a new friend and were willing to pay, actually I was assuming we would HAVE to pay. The bartender said "no problem, you have Cheers. It doesn't matter who drinks it" She gave us a drink for our friend knowing that we were giving it to her... so I guess it really depends on the bartender.