Cartagena Question

Jalex63

When we visited, we cabbed it to the Old Town center. We spent about 3 or 4 hours on our own. Some side streets looked a little too "dark" for comfort but the architecture, outdoor cafes etc was our cup of tea. We never went into the modern shopping area. Do a tour of some kind, but make sure it includes time to take in the old area.

Agree totally to be on deck at least a half hour pre docking if in daylight. The comparison of new skyline to old is cool.

Edited by eandj

Our first port call to Cartagena was in 1985 on Sitmar's Fairseas. We were told to only take a ship's tour as special precautions were being taken for our safety (two armed guards with us at all times). We had our 18 month old daughter with us on the ship. The cruise director talked to us and told us to leave her on the ship (they had a wonderful child care program) and took all information on who would have legal guardianship of her in the states, "just in case."

There were armed guards everywhere. To enter the port, you had to enter single file past armed police with dogs.

And, yes, we had a wonderful tour and enjoyed the city.

We returned to Cartagena time last year on the Coral Princess. With our last experience in mind, we booked a ship's tour.The change in the city was a 180 degree turn from our last visit. The first thing we noticed was that we did not have armed guards with us. We, of course, saw armed guards at the entrance to military facilities that we passed. There were also police at the various tourist sites that prevented any problems with aggressive vendors.

We were impressed at the old fort by the care given to tourists. A gentleman slipped on the cobblestones and fell. In a flash, a policeman was there and within a few minutes, a first aid nurse stationed at the fort came to check the man out and ensure he was OK to travel. He had twisted his ankle and she wrapped it with an ace bandage. No cost for services to the tourist.

The city itself was clean. Our tour guide explained that old barrios of shantys were being pulled down and the folks were relocated into modern housing units.

The old town was beautiful and a delight to walk through. There was no problem with street vendors.

There is absolutely no reason that anyone should fear visiting this beautiful city.

Edited by Homosassa

Our first port call to Cartagena was in 1985 on Sitmar's Fairseas. We were told to only take a ship's tour as special precautions were being taken for our safety (two armed guards with us at all times). We had our 18 month old daughter with us on the ship. The cruise director talked to us and told us to leave her on the ship (they had a wonderful child care program) and took all information on who would have legal guardianship of her in the states, "just in case."

There were armed guards everywhere. To enter the port, you had to enter single file past armed police with dogs.

And, yes, we had a wonderful tour and enjoyed the city.

We returned to Cartagena time last year on the Coral Princess. With our last experience in mind, we booked a ship's tour.The change in the city was a 180 degree turn from our last visit. The first thing we noticed was that we did not have armed guards with us. We, of course, saw armed guards at the entrance to military facilities that we passed. There were also police at the various tourist sites that prevented any problems with aggressive vendors.

We were impressed at the old fort by the care given to tourists. A gentleman slipped on the cobblestones and fell. In a flash, a policeman was there and within a few minutes, a first aid nurse stationed at the fort came to check the man out and ensure he was OK to travel. He had twisted his ankle and she wrapped it with an ace bandage. No cost for services to the tourist.

The city itself was clean. Our tour guide explained that old barrios of shantys were being pulled down and the folks were relocated into modern housing units.

The old town was beautiful and a delight to walk through. There was no problem with street vendors.

There is absolutely no reason that anyone should fear visiting this beautiful city.

What a great post. Thank you for sharing with us.

This is informative and not belittling. Great.

Since I started all this with my original post, I figured it only right to advise on our decision. Since I received more response than I ever imagined and the responses pretty much cover all points of the compass we have decided to stick with a ships tour. Now I only have to figure out which one.:)

We stopped in Cartegena in February on our Panama Canal full transit cruise. We did the HAL tour of the fort, walking around the old town and shopping. It was fine for that kind of tour. The emerald prices were a joke; highly inflated even after bargaining. At no time did we feel unsafe. But the highlight of our afternoon in port was the USS Independence parked just down the pier. It's a combat spy ship, a high speed large catamaran. My DH wished we could have toured it instead!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Not to derail the thread, but the Independence is NOT a spy ship. She is a "Litoral Combat Ship", designed to operate independently in shallow waters on her own. She can carry any number of "packages" making her a helicopter carrier, mine hunter, combat carrier, or more. She is the first of a series of such ships the navy is building. (DAMN exotic looking though, and damn "sexy" for a combat ship!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

Edited by FredT
add link

Here is a link an interesting article in today's New York Times about Cartagena. Cruisers will not have 36 hours, but there are some interesting tips. Enjoy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/travel/things-to-do-in-36-hours-in-cartagena-colombia.html?ref=travel&_r=0

Thanks for posting this link. I really enjoyed it. We will be there in December. Can't wait!

Not to derail the thread, but the Independence is NOT a spy ship. She is a "Litoral Combat Ship", designed to operate independently in shallow waters on her own. She can carry any number of "packages" making her a helicopter carrier, mine hunter, combat carrier, or more. She is the first of a series of such ships the navy is building. (DAMN exotic looking though, and damn "sexy" for a combat ship!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

Come on, man, it looks like a stealth bomber for the sea!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app