White Pass RR

frostypenguin

The train itself isn't the subject particularly - the extreme difficulty of opening this country through stunningly beautiful mountains is. I'm not a train fanatic like some of my friends, but would call myself a railfan, which is why I've been on the WP&YR more than a dozen times.

Murray

I loved the White Pass RR as a one time adventure. Sit on the left side of the train going up.

The ride is about the scenery and photo ops. I was in awe of the difficulty of the trail followed by the gold miners. It made the Oregon Trail look like a Sunday stroll.

I loved the White Pass RR as a one time adventure. Sit on the left side of the train going up.

The ride is about the scenery and photo ops. I was in awe of the difficulty of the trail followed by the gold miners. It made the Oregon Trail look like a Sunday stroll.

DITTO

We were on it last month, and had some fog, but I would still highly recommend this trip. :)

We took the 12:45 train last Monday, Aug. 8th. The weather was great. I didn't think my wife would like it, but she had a great time. One daughter slept for a while. One was in between the cars most of the time going up the mountain taking photos.

I didn't realize why you MUST be on the LEFT side of the train on the way up until I rode the train. You see the same views, once going up the mountain - once coming down. You go up the mountain slowly on the way up, with a few stops. On the way down the train is much faster with NO stops. This is why you MUST get on the left side of the train on the way up, unless you like to view the side of a mountain the whole time, instead of a river gourge (much prettier).

When we got in to Skagway there were four ships in town. Shopping was impossible. When we came back from the train trip, there were only three in town. My wife and I hated shopping with 8,000 other people. When we came back, most people were gone. This is when my wife fell in love with Skagway. She loved the quientness. There are only 2,000 residence.

GO ON THE TRAIN!! SIT ON THE LEFT SIDE!! GO BACK TO TOWN WHEN IT IS QUIET!!

I will post a review a full review of our cruise, Aug. 5th to Aug. 12th in a few days.

Definitely sit on the left. When I took the train on August 4th the weather was awful. Half way up on the train we couldn't see anything. However, the folks that went on the 12:15 train said it was clear all the way up, but they got fog on the way down.

This will be a great excursion IF the weather is clear. Good Luck!

I agree. The first time I did this excursion, it was foggy and rainy and I walked away not liking the excursion at all.

Since everyone raves about the trip, I repeated it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it (we had wonderful weather). I was able to get on the last car and I stood at the back of the car the entire trip and snapped tons of photos. Here are some pics from the trip:

white pass pics

I'm considering doing this excursion. I've never been a train "fanatic" but I don't mind riding on one. Given this, how much of this excursion is about the "train" itself and how much of it is about the sceneary and great photo opts?

My husband and I took the White Pass RR Excursion on 8/8 at 12:45. Hubby is not too fond of heights but he loved the trip as did I. The scenery is amazing. Not only would I recommend this excursion I would take it agan in a heartbeat!

I see everyone is recommending the left side of the train going up. If you are facing the front of the train inside, is it left seats from there?

As you look towards the engine of the train (and also towards the town of Skagway), sit on the left side.

I made a mad dash to get on the train to get a seat on the right side. Grabbed only a few of the seats left. Was sitting near the back of the bus. The weather was sunny for the whole trip, no fog at all last week! I was so worried that it would be too foggy/cloudy. They give out little water bottles on board that had a little train on them. It was getting quite warm, the farther down to Skagway. Wish I could have opened the window!

• 5 weeks later...

Just rode the train Sept 11. Had the early trip at about 8am. It was foggy so I thought maybe we should sit on the Right side going up in the fog and maybe it would be clearer coming down on the left side. It actually was clear most of the way up. One thing to make note of -- Yes the LEFT side is better viewing going up the mountain, but if it's crowded and you get stuck on the right side, carefully choose your seats -- after you get to the top the passengers switch sides, and the seat backs are flipped over so they face the opposite way -- so a good seat with a wide window going up can end up with a post in your way once the seat backs are flipped.

As you look towards the engine of the train (and also towards the town of Skagway), sit on the left side.

Unless you are not picked up at the railroad dock but instead you board in town, in which case just face the front of the train and then sit on the left. ;) (It's probably also the side you got in on.)

I thought the view was lovely both ways. We had excellent weather, but I think it would be pretty no matter which side you were on. Our train did not make any photo-op stops along the way up though.

Archived