Any "bad" cabins or floors on Norwegian Epic for light sleepers?

mikeerdas

Think I recall the Carnival Dream's lowest priced cabin--an inside stateroom--was actually a bunk bed configuration. Not great for married couple! Are there any inside staterooms like that to beware of on the Epic?

Also, my wife and I are very light sleepers. Are there any decks we should avoid if booking an inside stateroom? e.g. we don't want to be above or below any loud areas like dining, etc.

Don't mind being in the bowels of the ship either if it's quiet. Prefer having "all cabin" decks above and beneath me. Is that possible on the Epic?

Use http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic to drag and align the decks (zoom in and out) at the elevator pits to get an idea what is above and under your stateroom. :)

And no bunk beds on the Epic, all insides are much the same. You might like decks 9 to 13. And perhaps avoid the insides located at the hallways/stairways.

Avoid cabin 14029 on Epic as it's next to a pantry and they clean it or rattle some shelves around 3am every night for about 30 minutes.I am not a light sleeper but it woke me every time.Some nights I banged on the cabin wall and told them to be quiet! Worked a couple of times !!

Another tip is to avoid connecting cabins as the seal on the door between cabins lets some noise through.

Finally although an aft cabin has lovely views it can be noisy from the sound of the wake,some people find the noise relaxing and others just find it noisy.

Hope this helps.:)

Use http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic to drag and align the decks (zoom in and out) at the elevator pits to get an idea what is above and under your stateroom. :)

And no bunk beds on the Epic, all insides are much the same. You might like decks 9 to 13. And perhaps avoid the insides located at the hallways/stairways.

Thanks Freestyle and TomCat.

Anyone happen to know which side of the Epic would give better views for the itinerary that includes Rome (that port wouldn't matter), Naples, Cannes, Mallorca, Barcelona, Florence, and Livorno? Or rather, which side is best for which port? And if I had to choose one port for its view, which would it be?

I would be selective if looking at deck 13, the fitness center is above on deck 14. We do have one booked below one of the corners of the fitness center on our upcoming cruise and hoping we will not hear too much noise from above :eek:

I would be selective if looking at deck 13, the fitness center is above on deck 14. We do have one booked below one of the corners of the fitness center on our upcoming cruise and hoping we will not hear too much noise from above :eek:

Freckles-51, we had a cabin below the gym one time on NCL and I hate to say this but it was NOT a good situation. (It was on the Jewel, not the Epic.) The gym has defined hours, HOWEVER, the crew uses it as well and it's usually when it's closed to passengers. Our bedroom was directly under the free weights and most don't simply lay them down, they drop them. I swear sometimes it sounded like they were holding them over their head and dropping them. 5:30a it started and it sounded like we were under a bowling alley all day. About the only time it was quiet was when we were in port and maybe the wee hours of the night. Even then, there was the occasional thump. It was very disruptive. I highly caution anyone from booking a cabin under the gym. Even if weight machines or treadmills are above you there is constant noise.

I don't say all this to be hateful or mean. I only want you and others to be aware of what could happen. I will never in my life understand why a ship designer would put passenger cabins anywhere near the gym.

Edited by tarps14

I'm seeing very little difference between cabin prices for the lowest cost Balcony and the lowest cost mini-suite on the Epic. Possibly ~$100 per person difference.

What are the main differences between those two cabin classes? Probably will stick with a Balcony (or even Inside stateroom; not sure yet).

Also, is there much of a difference between different Balcony cabin classes?

What's the likelihood of receiving a phone call, prior to sailing date, of an upgrade from Inside Stateroom to a Balcony cabin if booking through an online TA vs. booking directly with NCL.com?

On my last cruise with NCL, I'd booked an inside stateroom directly using NCL.com. And got a call about a week before sailing for a super deal on upgrading to a balcony. This was for an eastern Med sailing on the Jade. So glad I took the deal--something like less than $300 total to go from inside stateroom to a balcony.

If I go with an online TA, and book an inside stateroom vs. booking a Balcony upfront, what are my chances of getting a phone call with a pitch to upgrade? Low, Medium, High? Would the call originate from the online TA or NCL?

Would like a balcony again, but hard to cost-justify vs. an inside. For some history, my wife and I have always booked inside staterooms--we value port intensive cruises and so are more interested in getting off ship and seeing the sights / (ancient) sites. But on the Jade Venice / Greek Islands 7 night itinerary, having a Balcony was just amazing! From arriving / departing Venice, to seeing the coastline near Corfu, to seeing as we pulled into Santorini, etc. It was just amazing.

Would paying for a Balcony, as far as view-value-per-dollar go, be a should or Must do for cruising on the Epic with the following ports? Compared with the Jade Venice itinerary I described. Ports for this cruise are:

(Rome to Rome; not sure of order)

* Rome

* Naples

* Livorno

* Cannes

* Barcelona

* Mallorca

* Rome

I'm a frugal person and prefer traveling more often than going after luxury. But having the balcony on the Venice cruise blew my mind. How would the Epic ports above rate for views vs. the Venice one? Would it be as gorgeous? I'd have to rate the Venice cruise port views as a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.

Again, getting a Balcony, or wanting one, is the rare case for us. The views in port would have to be really compelling to justify the cost for us. We don't book Balcony cabins just for the sake of it. Perfectly content in the bowels of the ship in an inside stateroom most of the time--the lower cost allows us to travel more frequently because the cost is significantly lower.

Edited by mikeerdas

A mini suite has some more interior room than a balcony, located on the humps, would only do that for a minor difference. Most balconies are the same, categories differ in location (family cat near kids zone etc) and number of beds. The real difference within the balconies are the B6 cat. large balconies, the B1 cat. aft, all with larger balcony sizes.

Regarding the ports;

* Rome, can't recall exactly.

* Naples, ship will dock backwards, port side to the larger part of the city

* Livorno, can't recall exactly.

* Cannes

* Barcelona, ship will dock backwards towars bridge, port seaside, starboard industrial and starboard/aft a bit of cityview but Spice H2O provides the best views of the city.

* Mallorca, ship will dock backwards, port to larger part of the city's marina/yachts, starboard sea and a busy port view.

Others will probable fill in the others. It won't be as great as Venice though. But, waking up and having roomservice breakfast on any balcony is a great way of vacationing. ;)

Thanks to all. I'm now happily booked, Deck 10 mid-ship interior.

I had 14052 on the Epic (last minute upgrade from mid-ship balcony to the mini-suite). I was leery when I found out it was next to the "kiddie play rooms", but I never heard a peep. There was dead space between the children's center and my room, and it was very quiet the whole time.