Does 23 minutes really make a difference?

disneydiane61

We have always had delays when getting off the ship in FLL, the last time we were around an hour late, another time it was nearly 3 hours quite a few people missed flights that day. The delay was down to customs and immigration, so you never knopw when a delay is going to happen.

We have always had delays when getting off the ship in FLL, the last time we were around an hour late, another time it was nearly 3 hours quite a few people missed flights that day. The delay was down to customs and immigration, so you never knopw when a delay is going to happen.

Just so you know, the OP is getting off in Miami and flying from FLL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To the O/P. Either option is possible, but that being said either option may cut it too close. As others have mentioned, if all things work as planned you can be off the ship by 8:00 and on your way to the airport by 8:30.

We've booked flights out of FLL for 11:00 and made it to the airport before 9:00.

That being said, there are no guarantees that things will go well or that you won't run into some sort of delays.

In my case if I had missed the 11:00 AM flight there were multiple other flights that same day that would get me to my destination. It would probably have cost me $ but I was willing to take the risk.

The question you need to ask yourself is "what happens and how much will it cost" if you miss either connection. I personally think the risk is low but it is there.

To need2bespoiled:

The most recent example of being held onboard was on Princess in March in and out of Fort Lauderdale.

Each of the times, it has been at a Florida port, both with Princess and Celebrity.

For all I know, the reason we were told for the delay was not the real reason (emergency of some sort, removing someone in secret, crew problem, use your imagination) and the cruise line wanted to keep all the other passengers calm and out of the area where the real problem was being handled.

The bottom line is, we were late getting off of the ship and some passengers with earlier flights were having to reschedule.

Self-disembark and be one of the first off--you should be OK with the earlier time. However there is no guarantee of that, and your 40 minute estimate is on the optimistic side.

In addition, FLL security lines can be very long when a lot of cruises end on the same day.

In addition, FLL security lines can be very long when a lot of cruises end on the same day.

This is very true but when it gets that busy in the Southwest terminal, they will walk the line checking with passengers to make sure they're not close to missing their flight. I can't vouch for other lines and/or terminals.