Just returned from QM2

lannp

Hi fantasy51,

It has amazed me that, almost every time I've been on board QM2, I run into people who didn't know about/hadn't found the two outside "scenic" lifts that run from Deck 7 to Deck 11. I find them very useful. The two glass lifts in the Grand Lobby are obvious of course, the outside pair less so, it would seem. Of course, on several decks the doors to the outside lifts are rather tucked away, and you'd have to know where they are. But the lifts themselves are easy to see whilst walking the promenade.

All good wishes,

Whenever we have sailed and have had cabins on deck 11, we have always treated them as our own private lifts from the Commodore Club back to our cabin ;)

Hi fantasy51,

It has amazed me that, almost every time I've been on board QM2, I run into people who didn't know about/hadn't found the two outside "scenic" lifts that run from Deck 7 to Deck 11. I find them very useful. The two glass lifts in the Grand Lobby are obvious of course, the outside pair less so, it would seem. Of course, on several decks the dors to the outside lifts are rather tucked away, and you'd have to know where they are. But the lifts themselves are easy to see whilst walking the promenade.

All good wishes,

There are 'outside' lifts? Didn't know that

Hi babs135,

A photo looking into one of the outside lifts:

QM2 Scenic Lift (1)

And a photo from outside:

QM2 Scenic Lift (2)

And here is a ride from Deck 7 to 11 whilst QM2 was in New York:

QM2 ...from DECK 7 to DECK 11...

With all best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I commented on the sink holes on here after our crossings in June. They were also in the corridors on deck 4.

Yes, I remember that Ray. I think there was mention of the re-appearance of the sink holes as far back as New England/Canada cruise, September 2013. But I forget if the problem a few years ago involved any areas other than Deck 3 & 3L? -S.

I disembarked from the QM2 after 19 days aboard. This is not a review but merely some observations and comments.

THE ship - Yes, she is looking a bit weathered on the exterior but transatlantics will do that to paintwork. A few rusty areas and the black hull is fading quickly but she looks so darned good when you approach her I can ignore her little flaws.

My Britannia cabin was in good shape. I decided that they only have two types of towels - either thick and fluffy or really, really thin. Most times I had a choice so of course I went for the fluffy. I would like to see the sofa re-upholstered or replaced, after all they are now 10 years old and also the base of the coffee table touched up.

My balcony had some rusty areas and again the 2015 drydock will take care of that. They are replacing the mattresses which apparently is done approximately every 4 years.

The Chart Room was re-done in 2008, it is time to replace the little cushions on the blue chairs, they don't give much support.

The potholes on deck 2 are back where the floor has disintegrated under the carpet, and they seem to be in a lot of the same places as before.

The meals and service in the Britannia dining room were for the most part excellent. Over the years breakfast has improved and I can remember from years past waiting what seemed forever for the eggs to be served. My only complaint would be the overcooking of the meat. I like my meat done but several times it was beyond well-done. I agree with a comment made by pepperrn in comments about the 4-day Gallic voyage. I rarely eat dessert in Britannia. I find the desserts offered in King's Court much more to my taste.

The air conditioning on the ship ran in full mode. In all my years aboard I've never been so cold. Some areas were absolutely frigid.

I was told that King's Court will undergo a total reno in 2015. The layout of the buffet has never bothered me since I use it mainly for tea and snacks but it will be interesting to see what happens. A total reno will also mean they replace the tables and chairs which have needed replacing for several years.

I dined several times in Todd English. The food and service was excellent. However the placement of the restaurant is a real sore point for me. If you have a window table you are subjected to the view of the outside tables and the smokers (sorry, I will not get into a smoking debate over this, I just shouldn't have to view this while I'm eating). And there is also a constant parade of people through the restaurant to deck 8. Cunard needs to address this.

I had only one discussion with the internet manager and found him very pleasant and very helpful. I heard positive comments about him which was a big improvement over last year and the total lack of patience and help that manager gave. The Internet connection has definitely improved over the years because I can remember several early crossings when there was no connection mid-Atlantic. The Wifi worked very well and a few times was not good in the cabin but excellent in public areas.

I asked about the Cruise Critic log book in the library. There new staff and the book was apparently packed away in some boxes since they didn't think it important. Supposedly it was to be retrieved but I must confess I forgot to go back and ask.

The Grand Lobby was closed off for the crossing home. Scaffolding had been erected to repair the ceiling in the area of the former glass ceiling. The scaffolding extended out an atrium cabin window across to the other side so I must presume none of those cabins were occupied except for maybe the workmen. The twin staircases (which I use a lot) were blocked off and some of the furniture had been turned outward so it could be used. The marble-top table and floral arrangement disappeared but a few days before NYC re-appeared in the space between the glass elevators which still operated.

Oh my that must've been a huge disappointment! DH and I plan to sail her next Sept for a crossing and it would be a real letdown if the entire lobby was closed. We will be first-time Cunarders and I feel that we would not enjoy the true majesty of the ship if the grand lobby is full of scaffolding! Is this a common occurrence? Now I am leery about sailing her before the drydock. There was not one day that the lobby was accessible? No way to take pictures, etc? I would truly be quite upset if this happened.

Oh my that must've been a huge disappointment! DH and I plan to sail her next Sept for a crossing and it would be a real letdown if the entire lobby was closed. We will be first-time Cunarders and I feel that we would not enjoy the true majesty of the ship if the grand lobby is full of scaffolding! Is this a common occurrence? Now I am leery about sailing her before the drydock. There was not one day that the lobby was accessible? No way to take pictures, etc? I would truly be quite upset if this happened.

Hi Bostonjetset. Since you won't be sailing until a year from now, I fully expect that the Grand Lobby will be restored by then, and hopefully much sooner. And, no, as far as I know, it is not a common occurrence for the Grand Lobby to be under repairs for months. Check your booking conditions regarding cancellation with full refund prior to final payment. If you are not satisfied with the condition of the ship, cancel before payment. Hopefully, that will not be necessary, but it should relieve some concern. ;):) Best wishes, -S.

Lannp

Do you know how long the repairs to the Grand Lobby will take? I board Sept 27th for l9 days.

Did you notice any difference in the ambience, the service, events around the ship during the time of the cross channel short breaks, as opposed to the East bound and West bound sections of your days on board.

The Sept 27th cruise will be similar in many ways to the one you have just done.

Hi Babs. I remember my first QM2 voyage: Hubby and I were in awe walking the Promenade Deck when we saw the exterior glass elevator. A passenger walking by told us that we needed a special key to operate the lift since it was reserved for Grill passengers only.

It was only later after joining this forum that I thought that passenger might have been having a go at a newbie since that was clearly not the case.

Anyway, I especially enjoy using that lift to go to the hair salon after walking on the Promenade Deck. I arrive at the salon looking the wreck of the Hesperus, and sometimes I leave looking a tad better. :)

Cheers, -S

Edited by Salacia

Let's hope that when and if Kings Court is refurbished the glass floor is restored. The grand atrium has lost some of its impact without the natural light diffracting through.

Blue Riband, I'm not too sure about restoring the glass floor. Apparently the reinforced ceiling below what was the glass floor has been for months under repair...imagine if that ceiling had not been encased, i.e. reinforced. I really don't know. But I have seen the repeated problems with the substance used on the flooring on Deck 3.

For those not familiar with the so-called 'sink hole problem' - see the Cunard video here:

If time is of the essence, fast forward to 1:40.

A passenger walking by told us that we needed a special key to operate the lift since it was reserved for Grill passengers only. /QUOTE]

We had sailed many times before someone mentioned the glass elevators to me.........they told me it went down below the water line. :eek:

Edited by brigittetom

A passenger walking by told us that we needed a special key to operate the lift since it was reserved for Grill passengers only. /QUOTE]

We had sailed many times before someone mentioned the glass elevators to me.........they told me it went down below the the water line. :eek:

hehehheheheheheh - they do like to have go at us Yanks :D

OMG - that gives me a great idea: board the glass elevator wearing a snorkel and mask !:D

Edited by Salacia

Thanks for posting that video. That sinkhole is amazing. I can't figure out why it would keep sinking after they filled it because obviously it's properly well supported from below. It looks like concrete.......unless they just used a temporary filler. The sinkholes were already in all their glory on our trip in May 13.

Hi Babs. I remember my first QM2 voyage: Hubby and I were in awe walking the Promenade Deck when we saw the exterior glass elevator. A passenger walking by told us that we needed a special key to operate the lift since it was reserved for Grill passengers only.
Hi Salacia,

Well the passenger was right in a small way. As you know, to almost all passengers the scenic lifts serve only Decks 7, 8, 9 and 11. Get in, press the button, away you go to the Spa, Gym, Library, Beauty Salon, Commodore Club, Churchills, Board Room, Observation Deck or cabins on Decks 8, 9, 11.

But there is no Deck 10 button. If you're in either the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth Suites, placing your on-board card in the slot above the usual lift buttons will make the lift stop at Deck 10 for access to your suite only.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks for posting that video. That sinkhole is amazing. I can't figure out why it would keep sinking after they filled it because obviously it's properly well supported from below. It looks like concrete.......unless they just used a temporary filler. The sinkholes were already in all their glory on our trip in May 13.
I believe the compound degrades by crumbling into dust that is sucked up by the vacuum cleaners over time. It doesn't "sink" but instead erodes. Obviously the carpets have to be pulled up to apply patching material. I wonder if the patches have failed, or new holes have formed in the flooring material. I would expect that the patches would include material (e.g., fibers) to make them more resilient to erosion that the flooring overall.

Hi Bostonjetset. Since you won't be sailing until a year from now, I fully expect that the Grand Lobby will be restored by then, and hopefully much sooner. And, no, as far as I know, it is not a common occurrence for the Grand Lobby to be under repairs for months. Check your booking conditions regarding cancellation with full refund prior to final payment. If you are not satisfied with the condition of the ship, cancel before payment. Hopefully, that will not be necessary, but it should relieve some concern. ;):) Best wishes, -S.

Thanks for the reassurance! :D

Of course,by the time we sail next year I expect the lobby to be OK. My real worry is that repairing major rooms during a voyage is a common thing. I do hope the entire ship is available [especially the major common areas] for our first time on her.

Underwatr, yes, that makes sense. To me, the holes are exactly in the same places.......they never quite went away, you could always feel the patched area if you knew where they were in the first place.

Bostonjetset, we are about to take our 17th voyage on the QM2 and only once was there any carpet replacement in progress. You will possibly see some outside "spot" painting going on but that's not intrusive.....actually it's reassuring seeing her being maintained and very necessisary. Other than that, I've never seen any work in progress.