Question on Moving Suites

Seas_The_Day

good afternoon,

we are traveling on 2 back to back itineraries next month and due to availability we will need to switch suites mid cruise. has anyone done this before? i am wondering if we will need to re-pack everything (including hanging items)? do we need to repack the night before and leave the bags outside the suite? we are wondering what the process is and how helpful seabourn is in getting us moved on a busy disembark/embark day?

thank you!

We have done this doing a back to back with Seabourn. They pack everything for you. We left our suite and later that day after a day touring we came back to the new suite and everything was in the same place as our previous suite. They take everything. I did pack up all my toiletries but just left them packed in the bathroom. It was so easy and did not cause us any disruption what so ever. Obviously you will need to take everything from the safe but you can arrange for this to be kept safe with the office until you move to your new suite. Honestly not a problem.

I agree with Clarky it is made very easy by the staff.

We had to do this last year and they just moved everything. They swapped over drawers in the suites and had a mobile hanging rack so they could hang clothes on and wheel to the new suite. I also agree with Clarky about packing toiletries as it makes it easier. No problems.

Julie

I agree with Frantic and Clarky.

We had to move to a different suite mid-cruise, the move was straightforward as described. Everything was placed in the new suite in the same location as in the original.

We just kept a few personal items with us for the day but otherwise left the crew to get on with it and they did a great job.

thanks so much for the responses. that's great news!

This is applicable to: Spirit/Legend

The previous posters seemed to have missed the elephant in the room. YMMV.

If for example you're moving from the mid ships to the fore of the ship you may find that you have to pack all your belongings and unpack them in the new room. Why? Well on the little sisters the more forward you go the less space there is. To the point that your midships cabins drawers will not fit at the font of the ship (even given the same cabin class).

Take what the other posters said with a shaker of salt. It could or could not be accurate. It depends entirely upon where youre moving from/to.

Edited by Emperor Norton

This is applicable to: Spirit/Legend

The previous posters seemed to have missed the elephant in the room. YMMV.

If for example you're moving from the mid ships to the fore of the ship you may find that you have to pack all your belongings and unpack them in the new room. Why? Well on the little sisters the more forward you go the less space there is. To the point that your midships cabins drawers will not fit at the font of the ship (even given the same cabin class).

Take what the other posters said with a shaker of salt. It could or could not be accurate. It depends entirely upon where youre moving from/to.

Just curious have you actually moved suites and had to pack up all your belongings? If so I can imagine you found that frustrating.:(

Also I am not sure why you mentioned Spirit/Legend? I was remiss in not mentioning which ship my move occurred on.......it was on the Odyssey. It was in a similar location to where our first suite was so no alteration in drawer size and to be honest I was busy out exploring the Auckland so didn't stay to watch how they did it. I packed up what I wanted to pack and left them to it.

It makes sense what you say about different drawer sizes for some different sized cabins. I think I read here a while ago that the use the cane baskets they bring back laundry in to help the move as well..........I could be wrong and maybe things have changed in 18 months. It is possible and I accept that.

Julie

We had to move suites on the Legend. We were told to vacate the cabin no later than 8 AM and that we could access the new cabin after 12:00. We were told to empty all drawers, shelves and the safe. These items we repacked in our luggage. The staff provided plastic bins for smaller items that we did not wish to pack. They moved hanging clothes as they were in the closet. Make sure to secure all valuables in a safe place. We are aware of one instance where an item went missing.

Just curious have you actually moved suites and had to pack up all your belongings? If so I can imagine you found that frustrating.:(

Also I am not sure why you mentioned Spirit/Legend? I was remiss in not mentioning which ship my move occurred on.......it was on the Odyssey. It was in a similar location to where our first suite was so no alteration in drawer size and to be honest I was busy out exploring the Auckland so didn't stay to watch how they did it. I packed up what I wanted to pack and left them to it.

It makes sense what you say about different drawer sizes for some different sized cabins. I think I read here a while ago that the use the cane baskets they bring back laundry in to help the move as well..........I could be wrong and maybe things have changed in 18 months. It is possible and I accept that.

Julie

Julie, I think the Emperor means that his post is relevant to Legend and Spirit, rather than the big sisters.

I should have clarified in my own post that we were on Quest. Obviously OP didn't state what ship they're on and I completely disregarded the remaining twins when I replied. :eek:

We have done this three times on Seabourn, twice on the Odyssey and both times the only items we packed up were our toiletries. We were in port both times and headed out early on tours and when we returned to the ship we just returned to our new cabin. Once on the Spirit we had a problem in our cabin they could not fix so they moved us to another cabin and the same routine occured (they packed everything for us). If you are doing a back to back then the day that you will need to move cabins you will be in port and most likely you will be out touring so it really does not cause any inconvenience.

We found it to be very inconvenient. We also thought reception could be a little more solicitous insofar as our queries concerning when we could enter the new suite. 8:00 to Noon at the earliest seemed a rather 'we couldn't care less over your inconvenience' response.

Oh well,there's always some unlucky soul.

Enjoy the next trip.

I have done it twice and it worked very well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

On our cruise from London to Monte Carlo, we were upgraded on the Voyager for the last week to a Seven Seas suite. We packed our meds, etc. in carry ons and went on tour. Came back and all was done. No problems whatsoever. Very nice service.

It is also unfortunate upon moving a suite that you have to start repairing and provisioning the cabin all over again. In our first suite the verandah door would not close all the way. The door was badly off the track. It took two days to have this repaired. The speaker box was not working. The refrigerator was not cold but was hot like an oven. Also, the cabinet door which held it was unhinged at the top and in danger of falling off. It took quite a few calls to get these repaired. In our second cabin the glass shelf in the bathroom was loose and could not be used to place items until repaired. The outside verandah glass was so encrusted with salt and grime that it was virtually opaque. Outside of the clothes hangers which were used to bring our clothes, there was not one additional hanger in the suite. The liquor selection was probably that of the prior passenger. The soap that we had chosen upon being given a selection in our first suite had been replaced with one that my wife did not care for. Our hypoallergenic pillows that we had requested and received for the first suite did not make the transition. All in all a lot of extra work and hassle. Not what we had expected of Seabourn.

It is also unfortunate upon moving a suite that you have to start repairing and provisioning the cabin all over again..

But that's not the case for everyone. Our move was perfectly straightforward and didn't involve any 'repairing' or 'provisioning' of the suite.

Your sentence makes it sound like your unfortunate experience will be shared by everyone who moves suite. Simply not the case.

I'm sorry your move didn't go smoothly.

It is also unfortunate upon moving a suite that you have to start repairing and provisioning the cabin all over again. In our first suite the verandah door would not close all the way. The door was badly off the track. It took two days to have this repaired. The speaker box was not working. The refrigerator was not cold but was hot like an oven. Also, the cabinet door which held it was unhinged at the top and in danger of falling off. It took quite a few calls to get these repaired. In our second cabin the glass shelf in the bathroom was loose and could not be used to place items until repaired. The outside verandah glass was so encrusted with salt and grime that it was virtually opaque. Outside of the clothes hangers which were used to bring our clothes, there was not one additional hanger in the suite. The liquor selection was probably that of the prior passenger. The soap that we had chosen upon being given a selection in our first suite had been replaced with one that my wife did not care for. Our hypoallergenic pillows that we had requested and received for the first suite did not make the transition. All in all a lot of extra work and hassle. Not what we had expected of Seabourn.

I guess we can put you in the glass half empty group.

Better luck next time although I do think that a firm word with the hotel director could have put all of these things right in a short time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our cruise from London to Monte Carlo, we were upgraded on the Voyager for the last week to a Seven Seas suite. We packed our meds, etc. in carry ons and went on tour. Came back and all was done. No problems whatsoever. Very nice service.

Sorry, but isn't this the Seabourn board?

Julie

Yes I got burned in the move on the little sisters (something my TA should have known...). Id have mentioned a difference on the O class but so far I've only on the wee boats. My laundry still comes back in the cane baskets ;)